Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by N104UA
UA does not fly SNA-DFW
Sorry, that was LAX-DFW, my bad.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by lennyj
Everyone needs to call in and complain. This has now gotten beyond absurd. I think what management has done, effective 1 June, has even made it even more confusing. Probably done intentionally. It is especially amazing to me that they are doing this to there best Customers.
I'm curious as calling in only gets to agents and rarely ever truly escalated up to executives. What really gets their attention are emails and written correspondence, with copies sent to the CEO and much of the operation executives 2 levels down. If someone had email addresses for many of these execs and an address to send personal experience letters as a customer to share your thoughts, I'm just saying.....
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itsMoe
I do not understand this penny-pinching by UA. It makes the seem cheap.
Seem?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:34 am

Admittedly, I do not understand UNITED's thinking with the First Class Soft Product Downgrades in general, I would imagine that Premium Cabins is where you want to spend your limited resources as that is where your most profitable customers will be sitting, either because they paid for the seat in some way or due to their status (which now has a dollar requirement) they received an upgrade.

Economy has been a race to the bottom for some time now, this race has driven me entirely to the mindset that when I fly domestically, it is First Class and if it is too expensive than I simply do not go.

I admit I am a physician and thus my business acumen is poor, but I honestly do not understand the noticeable cost cutting in Premium cabins, even Polaris.

Salt and Pepper packets vs. Shakers, fine whatever it really is not that big of a deal, but snacks as opposed to meals on flights that used to serve full meals, yeah that just does not add up in my brain.
AustinWeatherGuy and Halo117 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I'd rather save money and book economy and get my free drink and hamburger in the back on most of these legs now. That is sad!
AustinWeatherGuy likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
While by no means or a substitute for a proper meal onboard, I've found that the catering in the UCs has improved significantly. There's still the cheese cubes, but you can usually put together a decent salad with the bean mixes, dressing, and vegetables, and the soups are also pretty decent. At ORD, I've seen pasta and beef stew, and last night in BOS, there was even cured meats, which were very popular... I added it to the salad I made for myself.

Again, I realize that not everyone has a membership and I myself can't always make time to stop by before departure, but I've found this to be an "enhancement" that I actually "like".
AustinWeatherGuy likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:45 am

It this page no longer accurate?

North America premium cabin dining

3 hrs. to 3 hrs. 59 min.
Scheduled departure time Meal service details
5 a.m. to 8 p.m. A full meal service with two entree choices
8:01 p.m. to 4:59 a.m. Refreshments, which include a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit

on the website, the ORD-FLL Departing 11:25 am Chicago, IL, US (ORD - O'Hare)Arriving 3:27 pm 3h 2m

is showing as a snack. any thoughts on which is wrong?
toddt likes this.

Last edited by elbejt2; Jul 13, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, they use flight distance ("canonical block time" for the route) rather than the block time for a specific flight. You're falling in the lower Snack block.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by elbejt2
any thoughts on which is wrong?
Your mind set is wrong. This is United, the K-Mart of Airlines. Why would you expect to get lunch in First Class on a flight of over three hours that leaves at 11:25 am? Why would UA give you a real meal when they can save $5 by not feeding you. Think "big front seat" = UA and all will be well.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Your mind set is wrong. This is United, the K-Mart of Airlines. Why would you expect to get lunch in First Class on a flight of over three hours that leaves at 11:25 am? Why would UA give you a real meal when they can save $5 by not feeding you. Think "big front seat" = UA and all will be well.
I can appreciate this perspective. It's amazing that AA lets me chose my meal ahead of flying and UAL wants to get unreasonably chintzy.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by elbejt2
It this page no longer accurate?

North America premium cabin dining

3 hrs. to 3 hrs. 59 min.
Scheduled departure time Meal service details
5 a.m. to 8 p.m. A full meal service with two entree choices
8:01 p.m. to 4:59 a.m. Refreshments, which include a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit

on the website, the ORD-FLL Departing 11:25 am Chicago, IL, US (ORD - O'Hare)Arriving 3:27 pm 3h 2m

is showing as a snack. any thoughts on which is wrong?
So anything scheduled under 3 hours is now a snack regardless of time of day?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
4 p.m. to 8 p.m.A full meal service with two entree choices
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
i hope this is not true....guess more BoB requests if true. What worries me is that instead of improving the catering to previous levels, they may just stop allowing BoB in F.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
4 p.m. to 8 p.m.A full meal service with two entree choices
What about 5AM to 4PM? No more breakfast or lunch service of any kind under 3hrs?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
What about 5AM to 4PM? No more breakfast or lunch service of any kind under 3hrs?
are you actually reading it before asking?
sub 3 hour breakfast and lunch times get:
Meal service which includes fresh fruit and breakfast bread on morning flights or a chilled plate with chocolate on afternoon flights.

Recent DEN-SFO breakfast was ranchero eggs, yogurt, fruit.

Recent SFO-DEN lunchtime was fruit and cheese plate or smaller salad with chicken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.