Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767

Hopefully this is cyclical: UA is pushing to see what they can get away with before it hurts the bottom line. Perhaps, like $misek, this too shall pass.

And, contrary to some miscaters on PS, I find the snack options on regular UA F (Asian beef salad and chicken hummus especially) to taste fine. I just lament the portion size. Honestly, I’m not asking for Cheesecake Factory but I’m also not looking for Lean Cuisines.
I agree. The Asian beef salad with soba noodles (I guess that makes it Japanese??) is pretty tasty and substantial. I had it on a lunchtime ORD-LGA earlier in the month and was pleased.

OTOH, cutting everything else about the service is just cheap, and the cheese plate, the other choice in many cases, is pretty sparse.

A few years ago, United said they were "working on" a system to pre-order F meals, not just SPML. I think that needs to happen, and soon.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
A few years ago, United said they were "working on" a system to pre-order F meals, not just SPML. I think that needs to happen, and soon.
They need to do that for MANY reasons. They're behind other airlines in lacking that capability. BR even lets you pre-order meals in premium economy!

And I don't know often this happens, but I'm not 1K and didn't get my first choice (though I was seated in the second row!) even though I paid for F because a bunch of GS and 1K got upgraded into F on a flight I was on. Not a huge deal, no, but definitely not a great experience from my perspective.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Two F flights this week, both listed as Lunch. Cheese plate was the only choice on both flights.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by limey1K
Two F flights this week, both listed as Lunch. Cheese plate was the only choice on both flights.
What were the city pairs?
Old May 16, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: 1K
Write in and complain (unless you were happy with that choice hah). I have zero interest in eating a plate of cheese. They continue to send me $$$ per complaint.
EWR764 and rch4u like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
Write in and complain (unless you were happy with that choice hah). I have zero interest in eating a plate of cheese. They continue to send me $$$ per complaint.
And you continue to book UA because you now have the vouchers on UA. Win-win for them They got your money in the first place and keep you as a customer. Start sending them receipts of other airlines you booked in lieu of UA due to their sub-standard service and they may finally wake up. But UA is not following DL in the lack of meals (or lack of substantive meals) in F. So they are going rogue it seems.

-RM
EWR764, rch4u and tstauck like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:48 pm

What were the city pairs?
DEN-ORD and ORD-PHL
Old May 16, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
All that means is that we will be able to pre-order awfully small snack plates though......
Old May 16, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB

DEN-ORD and ORD-PHL
Thanks limey1K. Disappointing to hear on both accounts. At least from BOS, the DEN nonstops in F are sometimes more expensive than LAX. And it’s not like UA doesn’t compete with AA on both routes...
Old May 16, 2018, 2:47 pm

Thanks limey1K. Disappointing to hear on both accounts. At least from BOS, the DEN nonstops in F are sometimes more expensive than LAX. And it’s not like UA doesn’t compete with AA on both routes...
I paid $713 and $685 for the tickets OW, respectively. Cheese plate was definetly underwhelming.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So did not appreciate the cheese plate would offer less cheese than on the Polaris flights which is after a full meal. Today, UA1982 SAN-DEN. Would have asked for the hot meal from Y had I known. Lesson learned. I like cheese plates but was hungry as the first time I got to eat today. Looking forward to my Polaris meal. :-)
Old May 16, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Was in F morning flight ORD-IAD in May. The "snack" was a limp scone.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:50 pm

ORD-EWR on Monday breakfast was unchanged, egg white sandwich with fruit and yogurt, other choice of cheerios with fruit and yogurt.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
Originally Posted by globetraveler
My letter to UA GS:

Hello,

In the spirit of hopeful change, and opportunities for more remarkable service experiences at United, I would like to share feedback on some recent United flights. I trust that you take the observations of your loyal customers seriously, as I very much want to see United deliver on its ongoing customer commitment to be the best airline in the world.

In no order of importance, I have observed a series of diminished services across the entire United end to end experience:
  • Recent changes to domestic First Class meal services (for flights 4 hrs and under). United recently rolled out a downgraded United First catering offer that has left both the flight attendants apologetic, and passengers frustrated and disappointed with the new options. As an example, on a recent flight from Houston to Newark (3 hr 30 min), a small cheese plate or small chicken platter with minimal lettuce, no salad dressing, no appetizer nuts, and no bread was served. The flight crew was apologizing to many of the passengers, and I was left having to order a snack box from United Economy as I was expecting a true lunch service. Please reconsider bringing back standard meal choices on your domestic flights- these changes have not gone unnoticed by your best customers.
  • No pillows in United First (domestic). Your competitors (AA/DL) offer a pillow in domestic first, and so should United. This is premium cabin travel, make it premium. The domestic seats are sometimes not the most comfortable- this would be a nice service improvement.
  • Open up Polaris Lounge access to Transcon Business Class passengers (ex SFO-EWR) (or at least Global Services passengers traveling in Business Class on Transcon.) As a point of comparison, AA offers a premium ground experience to it's premium Transcon passengers.
  • United recently added a list of exception markets for Polaris Lounge Access including Bogota, Columbia which sits in the South America region. Business Class tickets for this route are often $4K+, yet United is turning away these passengers who attempt to access Polaris Lounges and sending us to the United Club. I understand the need to restrict Mexico/Canada/Caribbean passengers from using the Polaris lounge, but don't exclude South America markets.
  • Please bring back Global Services manual upgrade processing by Global Services reservations agents; this is a helpful feature during times of disruption or when the auto upgrade system is failing. This was a nice perk for your best customers.
I would be more than happy to speak further and provide additional details around how the United experience could be further improved, and I do hope this feedback is passed along to those who can enact change to make United the best airline for its customers.

Sincerely,
GS Customer
Did you ever receive a response?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
“Lunch” and GS response

SAT - ORD “Lunch” flight

Above is what I had on my flight from SAT to ORD today. Granted it was on a UAX flight vs. a mainline, but I've had a rash of these great experiences lately. The cheese on this actually smelled foul which was fantastic. I wrote in to the GS support team and got the following response.

Dear TexasAggie02,

I'm sorry we did not provide you with an enjoyable meal service on your recent flights.

You wanted to enjoy your dining experience and I can certainly understand your disappointment. As a result of the feedback received, we are reinstating the meal services that recently changed on May 1, 2018. United reversed their decision and are putting the full meal service back in the Premium cabins.

We're listening to our passengers more than ever and working hard to be your airline of choice. On behalf of United, we look forward to welcoming you aboard your next flight.

Sincerely,

Global Services Customer Care
My email to them:
Hi GS Team,

I've noticed a trend recently and am hoping I am just having bad luck as its not a positive experience. Over the last few months I've noticed that several of my afternoon flights that the website and UA App state as a lunch service either only have a "snack", which was about a 1/4 of a small wrap, a boxed cheese/cracker plate that looks like a kids lunchable (DFW - EWR) or today on my SAT - ORD flight only a small cheese plate that had 10 grapes, 1 strawberry, two small pieces of cheese and a chocolate square.

I routinely am rushing to an airport to get on a flight and don't always have enough time to grab food in the airport or in the United lounge, so these recent trips where the "lunch" was less than a snack makes for an uncomfortable 2.5-3.5 hours when you are hungry.

Compare this to a Turkish flight I was on from ATH to IST (which is about 80mins) the FA had a full hot meal for breakfast and it was quite tasty.

Is this the new normal? How do infrequent flyers know about this if they are also expecting a meal?
FlytheTail, EWR764 and rmannion like this.

Last edited by TexasAggie02; May 16, 2018 at 8:22 pm Reason: Mobile wasn't friendly to type in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.