Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by st530
But don't you know that all you have to do is RING THE CALL BUTTON! It's apparently crazy of some of us to expect a little proactive, helpful, customer-oriented service that doesn't put the burden on the passenger to feel like a nuisance to the chatty FAs in the galley.
I shouldn't have to ring the call button - what I should see is one FA per aisle doing a walk through of their section of the Polaris cabin at least every 30 minutes if not more often, checking to see if anyone needs service.
gcashin, SkiPremier and caliform like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I shouldn't have to ring the call button - what I should see is one FA per aisle doing a walk through of their section of the Polaris cabin at least every 30 minutes if not more often, checking to see if anyone needs service.
I disagree, after the meal service, I think there should be an assumption that the pax are left alone to sleep, watch movies, work, etc. I really hate it when I get interupted to ask if I want anything to drink, if I want something I will ring the call button and am not going to wait 30 min for them to walk by.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by N104UA
I disagree, after the meal service, I think there should be an assumption that the pax are left alone to sleep, watch movies, work, etc. I really hate it when I get interupted to ask if I want anything to drink, if I want something I will ring the call button and am not going to wait 30 min for them to walk by.
I am not referring to being shaken awake asking if you want something - I am referring to a FA walking the aisle repeatedly so someone who does want a drink, snack, or whatever, can signal them and request it. I've seen some crews do this, but it's rare. It should be a service standard and done by policy.

There is no excuse for the crew to be basically absent for 8 hours of a 12 hour flight. People and Us Weekly cannot possibly be that entertaining.
demkr, st530, letsgook and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I am not referring to being shaken awake asking if you want something - I am referring to a FA walking the aisle repeatedly so someone who does want a drink, snack, or whatever, can signal them and request it. I've seen some crews do this, but it's rare. It should be a service standard and done by policy.

There is no excuse for the crew to be basically absent for 8 hours of a 12 hour flight. People and Us Weekly cannot possibly be that entertaining.
I think, officially, FAs are to walk the cabin at least every 15 minutes, even in Y. I would like to see more heed taken of this policy.
st530, letsgook and SkiPremier like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Aug 3 UA 5 IAH-LHR. Food was summarily bad. The salad greens were frozen (lettuce, carrots), the spicy chicken noodle dish was a bowl of watery goo with minimal flavor and maybe two or three small pieces of chicken. I declined breakfast. I've had better meals in Y. FAs seemed aloof and for the whole flight were determined to stomp hard enough on the floor to shake my seat as they walked up and down down the aisle. Seriously 8.5 hrs of stomping up and down the aisle.

I usually connect to Europe on UA thru ORD, only took this IAH flight for a change of pace and to check out the Polaris lounge. Worst Polaris experience I've had. I'll chalk this up as a one-off but in the future I'll stick to what I know.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.

So, I don't usually fly UA — it's either DL or another ST partner. I flew ANA out this time and because of operational reasons flew back with UA. Mind you (not that this should matter) it's a full price J ticket.

I've never seen a US, European or Asian carrier neglect to just be present like this during and after meal service. As bocastephen says, they're just... gone for hours. No attempt to notice empty drinks, no attempts to ask for new drinks, nothing. Hours of just no drink service, unless I'd press a call attendant button. Perhaps I could that, but that'd be unique in all my flights of dozens of business class carriers around the world who would simply look at my drinks and ensure I have something to drink.

I'd get up to go to to use the lavatories and find them in the galley just chatting away. Absolutely terrible show of service.
demkr, letsgook and LAX_BillyJoe like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by caliform
I've never seen a US, European or Asian carrier neglect to just be present like this during and after meal service.
That's still an occasional problem with some of the UA crews, particularly from the CO side. But I've had a run of really fantastic UA crews on longhaul flights. And the last two really terrible crews I've had were on TG (HKG-BKK) and DL (HNL-SLC).
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
On SQ (other than UA, this is the airlines I have flown the most), I have never shied away from using the call buttons. I once got up to ask for a refill of water during flight, the FA told me to use the call buttons in the future. In fact, FA on Asian airlines are pretty good in responding to call buttons on a positive manner. Some airlines, such as TG, FA don't like to walk around, but they do expect passengers to use call buttons and they are quite responsive.

On UA (and AA and DL), perhaps it is a culture thing, FA don't respond well to call buttons. This is not to say they are not good FA. I have found many respond positively when I walk to the galley asking for a drink or refill, and they often cheerfully refill in front of me or tell me they will bring the drinks to me.

On long haul flights sitting in premium cabins, I don't like FA walking around too much. It can be disturbing. SQ is pretty good about. Often, I am reminded that to use the call buttons because they don't want to disturb passengers by proactively walk around the cabin.

To be honest, I have rarely met UA (whether PMCO or PMUA) with bad attitudes. I do see bad flight attendants sometimes because of other service issues. Attitude wise, not so much.

On the other hand, the quality of UA's inflight meals do deserve negative reviews sometimes.....
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
That was precisely my point

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2018 at 8:38 pm Reason: contract the Moderators if there is a concern about Moderation
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by st530
That was precisely my point
As alluded to upthread, there is a cultural gap between the US airlines and foreign premium airlines in terms of the call button, so I am uncomfortable using the call button on United as the perception from the FA is generally "what in the world does this pain-in-the-a** want over and over so urgently that I need to put down my Us Weekly and stop gossiping with my coworkers" vs a premium carrier crew who has a completely different interpretation.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2018 at 8:38 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by gmt4
Aug 3 UA 5 IAH-LHR. Food was summarily bad. The salad greens were frozen (lettuce, carrots), the spicy chicken noodle dish was a bowl of watery goo with minimal flavor and maybe two or three small pieces of chicken. I declined breakfast. I've had better meals in Y. FAs seemed aloof and for the whole flight were determined to stomp hard enough on the floor to shake my seat as they walked up and down down the aisle. Seriously 8.5 hrs of stomping up and down the aisle.

I usually connect to Europe on UA thru ORD, only took this IAH flight for a change of pace and to check out the Polaris lounge. Worst Polaris experience I've had. I'll chalk this up as a one-off but in the future I'll stick to what I know.
In my experience, sometimes there is something about the seat/floor attachment (or maybe position on the floor?) that makes a particular J seat extremely sensitive to any vibration of the floor. So it feels like anyone walking by is absolutely stomping, but they really aren't. This has happened to me a few times on United 767s.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
In my experience, sometimes there is something about the seat/floor attachment (or maybe position on the floor?) that makes a particular J seat extremely sensitive to any vibration of the floor. So it feels like anyone walking by is absolutely stomping, but they really aren't. This has happened to me a few times on United 767s.
I think that there was the same problem in the upper deck of the 747 but I would still always choose a seat on the upper deck.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
This has happened to me a few times on United 767s.
The 764s especially. Also the sCO 752s.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Does anyone like these disgusting hot dogs they serve for breakfast? Looks horrific.

My number one rule on UA is to always defer on the second meal, which usually is the 2 breakfast options or if you are lucky, chicken katsu. I don't eat eggs is the main reason. Then there is the issue of quality of other food options. If I wait an extra hour or two I get more sleep and then a decent meal at the destination. All the money UA is putting into Polaris hardware is, IMHO, a better investment than a better second meal. And I have to agree with you - those Hot Dogs look vile, like they couldn't sell them at Golden Corral so UA gives them a second chance. There are many exciting things happening at UA, but the second meal department didn't get the memo....
iluv2fly and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by cricketer
I had it in June, and I believe I saw reports of it in May as well. I think it was on FRA-SFO but can't swear to it offhand.
I could be mistaken, but if so not by much. Would say the Spicy Thai chicken served with Udon noodles has been around for at least two years, at least flying EWR to Europe. I'm scared to think when it will be rotated out!
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.