Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA79 EWR-NRT 10/10

Appetizer, don't eat shrimp

Thai Chicken

Dessert

Mid-flight Snack, not bad actually

Breakfast - Omlet. I wanted Katsu but FA went front-to-back instead of by priority
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA838 NRT-SFO 10/16

Appetizer

Steak

Dessert

Breakfast - Fruit
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by riteshshah
Thanks Greenpau. Yes, hopefully some else has flown Transpac since start of October and can shed light. I realise that what I stated prior is not totally true about all menus being the same as I know Japan flights have a different menu...but presume all other NA-Asia/Oceania flights have the same options.
Hi @riteshshah ... I can lift the suspense for your flight home having flown SYD-SFO today. The lamb was excellent. Wines as listed above, with a surprise third red in the form of an Aussie Shiraz.

SYD/MEL/AKL - SFO/LAX/IAH Oct - Dec 18

WELCOME DINING SERVICE

Chilled Appetizer
Seared prawns with kawakawa, pesto, and rosemary melon salsa

Salad
Mixed Greens, cherry tomato, pumpkin seeds served with dressing and assorted breads

Entree
Moroccan-style spiced lamb
Israeli couscous with raisins and herbs, honey roasted pumpkin, zucchini

Thai-style green curry with chicken
Jasmine rice, vegetable curry

Roasted Tasmanian salmon fillet
Lemon hollondaise, Israeli couscous, asparagus

Mushroom lentil bolognese
Gremolata, parmesan polenta, spinach

Desserts
International Cheese
Signature Sundae
Sweet Treats

ARRIVAL DINING SERVICE
Chicken and sweetcorn Frittata

Fruit plate with cereal and milk
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, QF Plat, Marriot/SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz PC, National Exec
10/25 LAX>MEL

I had Miso glazed Salmon with Soba noodles and I can say it was the best meal I have had on that flight yet. I didn’t get a picture, but I should have.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I gave Polaris a re try after dropping it the end of last year. EWR >HKG , menu fairly unchanged since I last flew (UA must have bought a decade of short rib futures) , medium rare garlic bread , 2 shrimp in a bowl plus the salad,I had for the mains the Thai chicken with noodles,decent sized portion especially compared to the stir fry which was offered, over spiced but served at a nice temperature. Wine service had 3 reds a blend and a Shiraz plus Syrah which given it is the same grape didn't make a lot of sense.
Had cheese and no cracker choice.Skipped in flight and had for arrival the tomato soup and cheese sandwich, no non breakfast option for arrival, 5pm local. Still for me Meh quality food , and a $3 box of cakes does not make a business class product. Will see what the return presents.
BTW FA service was excellent
gcashin likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The first SFO-PPT is on Tuesday (10/30) I'll be interested to hear how that is catered. SFO-PPT is a fairly normal 2:00pm departure, the return is quite late at night at 10:40pm, that would mean the promised Dinner would be served at about 11:30 - that's very late. I'm hoping for a snack and then a full meal a couple hours out of SFO (we land at 8:45am)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by riteshshah
Thanks Greenpau. Yes, hopefully some else has flown Transpac since start of October and can shed light. I realise that what I stated prior is not totally true about all menus being the same as I know Japan flights have a different menu...but presume all other NA-Asia/Oceania flights have the same options.
LAX - SYD from mid-October. Forgot to take pictures but had the "spicy chicken" and "rustic omelet" both of which were very good. Slept for the majority of the flight so never had a chance to check out the mid-flight snacks:

Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
The first SFO-PPT is on Tuesday (10/30) I'll be interested to hear how that is catered. SFO-PPT is a fairly normal 2:00pm departure, the return is quite late at night at 10:40pm, that would mean the promised Dinner would be served at about 11:30 - that's very late. I'm hoping for a snack and then a full meal a couple hours out of SFO (we land at 8:45am)
There’s historical precedence for your wish. CO operated AKL-PPT-LAX back in the DC-10 days. I took that flight in the late 80s. They served a snack after the late night departure from PPT then full breakfast before the early morning landing at LAX.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Tried the Moroccan lamb on SYD-IAH today, was tasty. Meat a little tough but not dry. (See full Oz-US menu post &38 above from @greenpau)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Duke787
LAX - SYD from mid-October. Forgot to take pictures but had the "spicy chicken" and "rustic omelet" both of which were very good. Slept for the majority of the flight so never had a chance to check out the mid-flight snacks:

The omelet was actually the fiesta/southwest, which I love, what a pleasant surprise! (from IAH-SYD last week)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by markedcw

There’s historical precedence for your wish. CO operated AKL-PPT-LAX back in the DC-10 days. I took that flight in the late 80s. They served a snack after the late night departure from PPT then full breakfast before the early morning landing at LAX.
Can't go back that far, and of course the food was miles ahead then what is being served now.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Tried the Moroccan lamb on SYD-IAH today, was tasty. Meat a little tough but not dry.
Indeed ... it wasn't the tenderest cut, but the flavor was there and it wasn't dry. I preferred it to the short rib on my ex-US this week ... it may have been soft, but it was all fat/rib and very little meat!

I'm glad you had a "pleasant surprise" with the ole southwest fiesta omelet @kirkwoodj ... I was equally pleasantly surprised, and thought I was alone.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
menu fairly unchanged since I last flew (UA must have bought a decade of short rib futures) , medium rare garlic bread , 2 shrimp in a bowl plus the salad,I had for the mains the Thai chicken with noodles,decent sized portion especially compared to the stir fry which was offered, over spiced but served at a nice temperature.
"Medium rare garlic bread" - brilliant. That sentence is the most dead on accurate and funny description of UA dining.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by willfam3
10/25 LAX>MEL

I had Miso glazed Salmon with Soba noodles and I can say it was the best meal I have had on that flight yet. I didn’t get a picture, but I should have.
Here you go.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
I flew LAX-EWR-MXP return last week and nothing was appetizing enough to take a picture. I had the coconut chicken curry that everyone loves on the way over. It's okay but too rich. I love a good coconut curry but this seemed coconut cream thick. On the return I went for the short rib - it was a hunk of meat that didn't bear much resemblance to any short rib that I know. It was served with very dry roast potatoes. Short ribs need mashed potatoes or grits or something similar. Biggest disappointment was the cheese - especially since coming out of MXP. It was 3 types of white cheese all - hard or semi hard and pretty much all tasteless. The burger at the Polaris Lounge EWR was not bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.