Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Your flight has been cancelled... but wait...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold

It's almost 2am. I woke up to the email from United that my flight was cancelled. I got on the phone with United Premier Desk, rebooked on American Airlines. Agent had to call AA to verify availability. Once rebooked, I refreshed my app, and to my surprise, the original United flight went from being listed as Cancelled to listed as On-Time. I called United back, and the agent verified that the flight was on time. This was 20 minutes after the flight listed as cancelled... what is going on!?!

Flight was listed as cancelled due to weather in the route system. Houston fog anyone?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
It might help if you can provide some of the flight details, like flight number and departure location. Otherwise no one could provide any more color to your story than you have.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:19 am
Original Poster

ORD-BHM, Tuesday, Dec. 19. UA5643.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Flight was filed as canceled for 12 minutes between 00:53 and 01:05 CST. Possibly a clerical error as tonight's ORD-BHM diverted to BNA before continuing.

Looks to me like it is operating.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:42 am

Probably a contractor. Last day at work.
Dublin_rfk and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Probably a contractor. Last day at work.
Or maybe the first one. "Ooops, sorry about that boss!"
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have had this happen before on a United Express flight.
Communication / Coordination between Express Operators and United technology is poor.

More computer issues? Flight shows on time. 1k desk says cancelled

Probably not the same root cause as yours, but there are occasional blips when United Express is involved.
Flyer Friendly.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
What amazes me is that OP received an email notification of the cancellation so quickly. My experience is that these notifications are either delayed, or are never delivered. So at least some part of UA's IT systems seem to have been improved.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by seenitall
So at least some part of UA's IT systems seem to have been improved.
Although only THEN when it's not helpful, it seems.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
So did you keep the AA flight and request ORC for the UA flight?
BThumme and jacobguo like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've had a phantom cancellation a couple times over the years. It's annoying because I get the email or see online it's cancelled, but the first time I called the agent and she said it's not cancelled. Since I generally take what the agents say with a grain of salt, I was anxious all the way until I got to the airport and saw it on the monitor there. The second time, I couldn't get on another flight within the time I needed. While I was trying to figure out what to do, I looked again and the flight was mysteriously uncancelled, but now only half full -- I assume a bunch of people had rebooked before me and now it was empty.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by seenitall
What amazes me is that OP received an email notification of the cancellation so quickly. My experience is that these notifications are either delayed, or are never delivered. So at least some part of UA's IT systems seem to have been improved.
I'm amazed OP was rebooked without hassle on AA.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BigJC
I'm amazed OP was rebooked without hassle on AA.
No other viable options on UA, and anything else would have required them to pay for a hotel. Sounds like as simple an OAL justification as you could find.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I’ve had this happen too, even going back to PMUA. For a long time, Pre-merger, UA has a ‘customer commitment with 10 or 12 points, among them, when they announced a delay or cancellation, it would stay (I.e., they wouldn’t announce an earlier departure or ‘un-cancel’ (my wording) a flight). Didn’t help when he wife and I stayed out for a nice dinner in downtown Chicago instead of grabbing take out when her flight announced a delay of 2 hours. Of course, that delayed time lasted about a half-hour, when they changed the flight back to the scheduled time. Bolted in a cab to the airport, and she boarded right before the door closed.

In another case, I was rebooked on an AA (Eagle) non-stop after UA ‘canceled’ my flight (while I was enroute to ORD), but by the time I was through security, I looked on the board and saw the UA flight was there again, and it did end up going (I stayed on the AA flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.