Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If UA awarded you free Y travel for a year - non mileage earning, would you take it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If UA awarded you free Y travel for a year - non mileage earning, would you take it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
The JetBlue offer has a 24-hour booking cutoff but is positive space on any flight system-wide. And the regular seat pitch is 32-34" with free IFE and WiFi on board.
Yeah, that's a no-brainer then. I can decide where i want to go with 24 hours notice. I'd pay for whatever trips I needed to upgrade. I wouldn't make 1K, but I'd save enough money to be able to purchase P fares the following year instead of needing R space. (Also, I hit 1MM earlier this year, so I'd only fall back down to Gold, which is a bonus). JetBlue is less compelling for me due to their more limited network

Are you listening UA?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'd go for it, assuming:
* Can book E+ - either through status or paying the E+ fee or the E+ subscription
* Can book confirmed space - no need to standby
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Well it really is dependent on the individual and the circumstance. If you don't have the ability to travel often (family restrictions, work, etc.), would it be a good value after taxes are factored in? Not familiar with tax implications here but presumably this gets reported and is taxable.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
.... Not familiar with tax implications here but presumably this gets reported and is taxable.
Gets reported as taxable income (so for many this could mean taxes of 25, 28, 33, 35, 39.5% plus 0-10% state taxes). While UA might report the max value, with a little effort you can use a number more reflective of your actual use -- just log the cheapest economy ticket time of booking)
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Knowing UA, the free flights would be in Basic Economy.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: QF, HH
On decent flights, this would equate to free lunches

So, don't be ridiculous: yes of course!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:15 am

I’d most likely pass.

majority of my travel is paid by work in international paid J.

use miles from paid J for free J travel with my wife all over the world.

id still need to work and traveling in E vs traveling in J on miles earned by work I’d pick the free J. Couldn’t travel any more personally than I do now due to needing to show up to work to pay for all the things I like that are non travel related (my house).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, though it would hurt losing 1K next year. I could give myself a soft landing buying PQM up to Plat. I wonder how much that would cost relative to paying for my flights.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
No mileage earning, but would they count towards Million Miler status?

Even if they didn't, I would probably take it. I would have to run through the math with the taxes first to be sure, and I'm not going to put that much effort into a hypothetical
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If they still had the lifetime passes (Free F travel anywhere unlimited for life + companion), I wonder how much they would cost today.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
My initial thought was no and no. Then realized I'd still be gold at the end of the year.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by zrs70
I’m looking at the JetBlue sweepstakes, offering a prize of free travel for you and a companion for a year of economy travel. The rules specify:

No Mint
No miles.

If UA offered the same, would you want it? Or is earning miles/ maintaining status more important?

What if it were free C travel? Would that change things?
in lieu of paying for it? Yes I'd take it. C of course. Doesn't mean I have to use it as anything international I have to fly C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.