Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If UA awarded you free Y travel for a year - non mileage earning, would you take it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If UA awarded you free Y travel for a year - non mileage earning, would you take it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

I’m looking at the JetBlue sweepstakes, offering a prize of free travel for you and a companion for a year of economy travel. The rules specify:

No Mint
No miles.

If UA offered the same, would you want it? Or is earning miles/ maintaining status more important?

What if it were free C travel? Would that change things?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zrs70
If UA offered the same, would you want it?
If I could get E+, yes.

What if it were free C travel?
Absolutely. No question.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:02 am

I’m looking at the JetBlue sweepstakes, offering a prize of free travel for you and a companion for a year of economy travel. The rules specify:

No Mint
No miles.

If UA offered the same, would you want it? Or is earning miles/ maintaining status more important?

Would depend on the tax liability.

Assuming none, would be great for short hauls - head anywhere a short hop away anytime.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Tax implications aside, who would say no?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Assuming you'd lose your status (0 PQM's) but with a UA credit card, you wouldn't drop below Group 2,

I'd still take it, but put a small percentage of what would have been the trip cost in an account. Then the following year, I'd use those funds to pay for E+, bag fees, TOD upgrades, etc, while I was building back up to previous status.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

No Mint
No miles.

Of course, I would take it in any case but would I keep the status I have currently earned and earn no more ? I would be happy with free travel - I have mostly free time so I would be traveling for the whole time. No need to earn miles - will they take what I already have ?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Heck ya, If domestic, I would just buy an E+ subscription for $500 and maybe get a year's UA Club membership and I would be set.
SPLITTERZ likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Heck ya, If domestic, I would just buy an E+ subscription for $500 and maybe get a year's UA Club membership and I would be set.
Once you get to a certain age, it's where you "set" that matters most!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
The only reason to say no to the B6 offer are the tax implications.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Oh I agree ......If this opportunity had presented itself in my 20s, or even early 30s i would be all over it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee
I'm 63 and happy to sit wherever for free. If I can sit on a bike saddle for 87 miles in a day, I can sit in E- for a free trip.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I guess I'm missing the decision dilemma - unless I'm going to Hawaii. If free and for a year - I can use the $$ saved for massage upon arrival from coach but I can travel as much as I wish including position flights to better destination.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:22 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
UA metal only - probably if I can book in advance and don't have to standby like a non-rev.
Any Star Alliance flight - definitely!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
No. I mostly fly for work, am often upgraded, and the miles pay for award vacations. Benefit to me? Zero
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I feel like the tax consequences here are the relevant portion.

Otherwise of course I would "take it"... utilize it often, not so much (assuming no way to get out of Y), but it would probably end up good for some free short hops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.