Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

For debate: should UA put privacy screens on seatback monitors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For debate: should UA put privacy screens on seatback monitors?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, QF
Cool For debate: should UA put privacy screens on seatback monitors?

One thing I notice on a lot of flights is that the movies that other pax are watching contain a large amount of highly distracting drama and action-film violence. Personally I find this makes it much harder to either relax or get work done on flights, when those are things I'm trying to do. Do others have the same experience? Would people here support UA and other airlines putting privacy screens on seat back monitors to limit their viewing angles, and ensure that what each passenger is watching doesn't distract others too much?
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
If you're watching Game of Thrones, United should require a waiver from your seatmate certifying that they're caught up and won't glimpse any spoilers (also that they're OK with absurdly gratuitous scenes of sex and violence).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
You’ve got two built in screen protectors. If you don’t want to watch, don’t look at the screen.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mtftw
You’ve got two built in screen protectors. If you don’t want to watch, don’t look at the screen.
I couldn't have stated it better myself.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
The old 777's already have privacy screens at least in J. On long flights, especially intl, the FA forces all the window shades closed so it is pitch dark. I don't think it matters if there is a privacy screen, then light from a screen, reading light, 10" IPAD on full brightness will be distracting if you are trying to sleep. That is what the eye shade is for.

As for just being distracted while you are reading a book or watching your own screen, I tend to get "tunnel vision" so it doesnt really bother me too much. The screens aren't really very bright. I find someone with a laptop or ipad on full brightness far more distracting. Especially when I am in Y.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
One side effect of the polarized style privacy screens is that they actually block a significant amount of light off-axis as well. It would make me feel less guilty about falling asleep 10 minutes into my movie, knowing my seatmate isn't kept up by the light.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, QF
Originally Posted by mtftw
Personally I find that it's quite hard to not watch a moving screen that's in my field of view, especially when there's something very dramatic on it. Out of curiosity, did you grow up in an environment where there were TVs playing all the time? I suspect that people who've been around a lot of ambient TVs are much better at ignoring them.
Grog and In The 216 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:19 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I think that your suggestion is the proverbial "slippery slope". If you do that, where does it end? There will always be something that is distracting or bothersome to someone. To me, it's a bit of a reach to say that someone watching a movie or TV program is distracting to other passengers to the point you would need or want a physical blockade of the screen simply because it may be an action scene or otherwise dramatic. I don't want this to delve into a topic outside of the OP's post, but it ties directly into what's happening in society in general: everything is bothersome and offensive anymore and we give credibility to things when we shouldn't. This would be one of those things, in my opinion.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by guilt by association
Personally I find that it's quite hard to not watch a moving screen that's in my field of view, especially when there's something very dramatic on it. Out of curiosity, did you grow up in an environment where there were TVs playing all the time? I suspect that people who've been around a lot of ambient TVs are much better at ignoring them.
I worked in call centers and sales offices, so maybe I’m just better at blocking distractions than others. Either way, I agree that something like this would quickly become a slippery slope. What about religions where alcohol is strictly forbidden? Should the airline also provide small cardboard tents to shield the eyes of those people from beer logos?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by guilt by association
One thing I notice on a lot of flights is that the movies that other pax are watching contain a large amount of highly distracting drama and action-film violence. Personally I find this makes it much harder to either relax or get work done on flights, when those are things I'm trying to do. Do others have the same experience? Would people here support UA and other airlines putting privacy screens on seat back monitors to limit their viewing angles, and ensure that what each passenger is watching doesn't distract others too much?

NO NO NO, another that cant look the other way to avoid something that bothers you, and wants someone to control what others see. UGH,
Dont worry about what other people are watching just concern yourself with what you are watching.
bocastephen likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 14, 2017 at 11:11 am Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Nose pickers really bother me!
United needs to control this immediately!!
SFHokie likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:50 am

Whenever I have an empty seat next to me, I like to turn on that screen to the flight status channel, while I watch a movie on my own screen. Your plan of privacy filters would ruin that.
pfpdx, coolbeans202, sbm12 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
Whenever I have an empty seat next to me, I like to turn on that screen to the flight status channel, while I watch a movie on my own screen. Your plan of privacy filters would ruin that.
That's a great idea! I never thought of doing that.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I've certainly thought about it when traveling with my child and wishing there were privacy screens on monitors within my child's field of vision showing R-rated content.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.