FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, ..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1882474-ua-sfo-ppt-787-8-experiences-qa.html)

narvik Dec 22, 2019 7:33 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone (Post 31866074)
I'm not...I'm trying to get a feel for when/if that availability ever happens.

I'd say there's almost a 0% chance of predicting with any reliability that far into the future as far as award tickets on UA are concerned.
Some possibilities:

- dynamic award travel requires 500'000 miles O/W in E by then
- UA doesn't fly the route any longer
- UA doesn't exist anymore

Kacee Dec 22, 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31866088)
I'd say there's almost a 0% chance of predicting with any reliability that far into the future as far as award tickets on UA are concerned.
Some possibilities:

I’m actually willing to predict that the odds of scoring two saver J awards is extremely low, approaching zero. It’s not like availability is getting any better over time :)

Buzzman Dec 23, 2019 12:46 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31866088)
Some possibilities:

I've been watching this route for some time (maybe a year) and have never seen ANY saver awards available in J, even a day or two before the scheduled flights when J has been wide open. Concluded that if I want to go down there on an award that I would take the UG chance or take a Y saver along with a good seat as it's just 7.5 to 8 hours. Other option is to take pay and take the UG chance. Seems to be fairly regular availability.

rdh0924 Dec 23, 2019 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman (Post 31868168)
I've been watching this route for some time (maybe a year) and have never seen ANY saver awards available in J, even a day or two before the scheduled flights when J has been wide open. Concluded that if I want to go down there on an award that I would take the UG chance or take a Y saver along with a good seat as it's just 7.5 to 8 hours. Other option is to take pay and take the UG chance. Seems to be fairly regular availability.

There is currently business saver availability on May 12...but that's only in the IN fare class. Best chance on this route is to attain elite status to have access to IN class. Even then, it's limited. But I've not yet seen regular business saver.

Kacee Dec 23, 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman (Post 31868168)
Other option is to take pay and take the UG chance. Seems to be fairly regular availability.

Or book saver Y and waitlist for J. That will get you on the upgrade standby list at the gate.

Originally Posted by rdh0924 (Post 31868345)
There is currently business saver availability on May 12...but that's only in the IN fare class. Best chance on this route is to attain elite status to have access to IN class. Even then, it's limited. But I've not yet seen regular business saver.

IN is only for Plat and higher. Even then, it's not like IN is regularly available. Still basically a unicorn.

Boghopper Dec 23, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone (Post 31866063)
I've started the very early hunt for business saver awards for October 2021. Just hunting through availability, it looks scarce to non existent for business saver from SFO to PPT...any advice on best way to look and hunt to make sure I don't miss it if it becomes available? Or is the best strategy to buy an upgradeable fare and use miles after purchase?

Expertflyer

rdh0924 Dec 28, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31869224)
Or book saver Y and waitlist for J. That will get you on the upgrade standby list at the gate.

IN is only for Plat and higher. Even then, it's not like IN is regularly available. Still basically a unicorn.

I should have said "high enough elite status." With that said, I've seen a LOT of availability in IN class when looking 300-330 days out. Certain months have more or less availability. For a while basically the entire month of April had IN class seats open on all three weekly flights both directions.

Dbld777 Dec 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Premium Plus to PPT?

Will be flying in October 2020 SFO-PPT and return. Was considering purchasing Economy along with a wait-listed MUA upgrade($$ and miles) to Business(however with no current United status, assume the chances of coming off that wait-list are slim to none, even though they are willing to take my money and miles now!). Would love to buy or bid up to PP if the chances of getting seated there are better. Any thoughts on the probability that the 788 on that route in October will be a refurbed one with Polaris/PP? Or the chances that my MUA to Business would go through?

mck9235 Dec 29, 2019 3:29 pm

SFO-PPT looks to be upgaugued from a 788 to 789 starting March 2020.

Dbld777 Dec 29, 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by mck9235 (Post 31887101)
SFO-PPT looks to be upgaugued from a 788 to 789 starting March 2020.

Yes, seat maps are 789 throughout the Summer and then go back to 788 seat maps in late October??

Cayman09 Jan 19, 2020 5:59 am

Premium Plus

I see E+ on the seat maps for both the 787 8&9, but no Premium Plus. Are there plans to add Premium Plus to this route?

Kacee Jan 19, 2020 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Dbld777 (Post 31887147)
Yes, seat maps are 789 throughout the Summer and then go back to 788 seat maps in late October??

That's a big enhancement for upgrades.

Originally Posted by Cayman09 (Post 31968754)
I see E+ on the seat maps for both the 787 8&9, but no Premium Plus. Are there plans to add Premium Plus to this route?

It will be added when sufficient aircraft have the Premium Plus cabin.

Hawkeyefan Aug 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Is PPT open for business currently? I thought I read with a negative test, they are.

WineCountryUA Aug 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan (Post 32601988)
Is PPT open for business currently? I thought I read with a negative test, they are.

Negative test within 72 hours of departure, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...ia-tahiti.html for a more in-depth discussion

hawkswin Aug 13, 2020 1:13 pm

My family is booked on this flight next week and figured I can share a little information on this thread for other United travelers as this is a route we've been wanting to fly for a long time. The required test is specifically a negative RT-PCR test, which from my understanding is a more robust test than is typically given at most testing centers. On the official Tahiti tourism link, there is only a single clinic listed, it's in LA and called Good Life Medical Services with a drive up location in West Hollywood and a new one in Orange County. The Air Tahiti Nui website also only suggests the same clinic. Without using our health insurance and for expedited 24 hour results, the cost is $300 per person and it should be noted that we were told the lab they process in, is closed on Sundays. It's necessary to reserve the day but can show up any time that day to the drive up clinic. So my family and I are flying to SoCal this upcoming weekend to get tested there. It's all a total hassle but hopefully the PP upgrades clear to make it worthwhile to PPT and it looks like they should. Once we get the test results back then we'll start to book lodging and everything just days before the trip but seems like everything is wide open generally, although hotels are maintaining pricing power from what I can tell with high rates.