Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does UA use American FAs for language speakers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does UA use American FAs for language speakers?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Maintaining separate US-based and foreign-based crews to work the same flight would create logistical and staffing challenges that far outweigh the small savings realized by paying the FAs a different rate for being based overseas. Plus union negotiations scuttle that idea anyways.

As noted above UA has had foreign crew bases in the past but those are long gone now.
See my above post.

It is not at all unusual to have mixed crews on int'l flights between two bases (i.e., HKG / LHR to SFO / ORD). There is a "base" crew that may make up the majority of the crew, but F/As from other domiciles are frequently part of the crew as well.

They are all paid the same AFA-negotiated wages and are covered by the entire AFA collective bargaining agreement, whether based in the U.S. or outside. The F/As at the non-U.S. bases ("domiciles" in UA-speak) have the same union representation and rights as AFA members at U.S. domiciles. Each one also has its own local AFA chapter (or Local Executive Council in AFA-speak) and are managed just like U.S. locations. F/As have the contractual right to transfer to any domicile, inside the U.S. or out, based on their seniority (and subject to local immigration and residency rules which of course neither UA nor AFA have any control over).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
The only language situation I have ever encountered on a UA flight was on a domestic flight. There was a mechanical delay. An announcement was made. Sitting in Y in a 757 seat next to the open boarding door, I noticed a confused passenger trying to get information. I discovered that there was a group of passengers from Quebec who did not quite get all of the details of the announcement. The FA that he was trying to communicate with had no clue what he was asking.. Having been a French teacher, I was able to explain the situation to them.
Funny you mention Quebec, there's something I've always wondered. I've flown both UA, DL and AC between the US and YYZ several times, and AC is the only one with billingual announcements, which I'm sure is mandated by the Canadian government since they are a Canadian company. Neither UA or DL made announcements in French, or even said if there are French speaking crew on board (compared to a recent NRT-DEN flight on UA where at the start they listed off like 8 different languages spoken among the crew. I remember Norwegian was one of them, which seemed completely random on a Tokyo-US flight, especially since UA doesn't even fly to Norway).

I'm both surprised and not surprised by the lack of French on those flights. Toronto is very much an English speaking city, and if you don't speak it, you're going to have a rougher time than most, so French announcements don't seem necessary. But I also know how big of a deal bilingualism is to the Canadian government, and I'm surprised they don't require any company who wishes to do business in Canada to provide their services in both. Because while English might be the unofficial language of Toronto, it's an airport - connections to Quebec are a thing. Are flights to Quebec on UA and other American carriers staffed with French speaking crew with announcements in both?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by t325
Funny you mention Quebec, there's something I've always wondered. I've flown both UA, DL and AC between the US and YYZ several times, and AC is the only one with billingual announcements, which I'm sure is mandated by the Canadian government since they are a Canadian company. Neither UA or DL made announcements in French, or even said if there are French speaking crew on board (compared to a recent NRT-DEN flight on UA where at the start they listed off like 8 different languages spoken among the crew. I remember Norwegian was one of them, which seemed completely random on a Tokyo-US flight, especially since UA doesn't even fly to Norway).

I'm both surprised and not surprised by the lack of French on those flights. Toronto is very much an English speaking city, and if you don't speak it, you're going to have a rougher time than most, so French announcements don't seem necessary. But I also know how big of a deal bilingualism is to the Canadian government, and I'm surprised they don't require any company who wishes to do business in Canada to provide their services in both. Because while English might be the unofficial language of Toronto, it's an airport - connections to Quebec are a thing. Are flights to Quebec on UA and other American carriers staffed with French speaking crew with announcements in both?
They do require products sold in Canada to have French-language labeling, but it might be untenable to require French announcements on flights going to/from Canada. As far as I know, no country has any language requirement for flights announcements, in fact.

The inventory of languages among the crew on your NRT-DEN flight is nonstandard as well, although I wouldn't mind if it were normal practice.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Canada's Official Language Act only applies to federal institutions in Canada. Air Canada even has a Linguistic Action Plan.
Under the Air Canada Public Participation Act and Canada’s Official Languages Act, Air Canada must meet requirements regarding service delivery in both official languages where there is significant demand for these languages.
So bilingual announcements are not applicable for UA/DL/AA or any foreign carriers for that matter.

I'm also not sure what the big deal is regarding multiple languages on a flight. Sure it's a nice courtesy to have, but if anyone flies FR, U2, W6, on something like OTP-ATH, it's doubtful you'll find any Romanian/Greek FA. Even on LH, a lot of flights to Middle East and Caucasus, they'll just use a pre-recording in Arabic or Russian or Georgian.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:56 pm

That's kind of a silly point. Connections are a thing for most routes and once you get beyond flights departing or arriving in your language zone you can't expect to receive service in your own language anymore. I can imagine that this element presents a problem especially for older people when traveling but there's just a practical limitation to language provision.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny you mention Quebec......Because while English might be the unofficial language of Toronto, it's an airport - connections to Quebec are a thing. Are flights to Quebec on UA and other American carriers staffed with French speaking crew with announcements in both?
I don't think UA consistently staffs YUL/YQB flights with Quebecois-speaking crew - once a while you get French speaking crew but quality varies. In the 90s, I was on a CO flight out of YUL that was code-shared with AC. A couple spoke only French and got frustrated as they were expecting an AC flight with bilingual crew.

Language is a sensitive issue in Canada. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office...fran%C3%A7aise The whole French/English thing in Quebec can be tourist-unfriendly. Even in Montreal, once you leave the airport, everything is in French. Metros all over the world have English but not in Montreal.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
I haven't flown UA in a while but I recall that safety and PA announcements were almost always delivered or translated by native speakers--in several languages (Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese).
Sometimes edited to be less offensive: Less Than Polite Language Lost In Translation?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I the only one who interpreted the thread title to mean AA flight attendants?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kale73
Am I the only one who interpreted the thread title to mean AA flight attendants?
At first glance I did too.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:00 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
On UA TATL flights I have fairly often encountered American FAs from other ethnic or llinguistic backgrounds whose English is almost incomprehensible and who clearly do not understand me either (I speak with what used to be called a BBC newsreader accent). Not usually too much of a problem except when trying to order wine, or when said FA pours wine all over you and doesn't understand when you say you'd like to speak to the purser....
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
Even in Montreal, once you leave the airport, everything is in French.
Once you leave the airport? There's more French in YUL than there is in CDG!

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I thought the still had crew in Frankfurt, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Guam (which isn't exactly foreign, but since HNL-GUM has "INTL" on the boarding pass, I'm going to include it).
Now that that's been confirmed, the answer to the OP's question is "they don't". We can't establish why something is true without first establishing if it is true.

I am a native English speaker, so I may not be the best judge, but I have never had trouble with UA German or French. (Maybe a little from a former Paris domiciled FA who spoke very, very quickly) Indeed, on a IAD-GVA flight, the FA spoke Swiss French: vol neuf cent septante-quarte instead of soixante-quatorze (I am glad on ZRH flights they don't try Schweizerdeutsch!)
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
So you’re advocating for a US company to employ non-US citizens preferentially?
Who said native Japanese speakers could not be US citizens?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
In my experience flying to Brasil the FA's on UAL with the badge speak fluent Portuguese.

Many are native Brasilians who immigrated legally to the US and are immediately given away by their regional accents, whereas a few are of Portuguese background.

So, no complaints here.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Canada's Official Language Act only applies to federal institutions in Canada. Air Canada even has a Linguistic Action Plan.

So bilingual announcements are not applicable for UA/DL/AA or any foreign carriers for that matter.
Bilingual announcements are technically not required by Canadian carriers other than Air Canada either, although Westjet and Porter do it as a customer service. Only Air Canada is subject to the Official Languages Act as a condition of its privatization (hence the reference to the Air Canada Public Participation Act).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Who said native Japanese speakers could not be US citizens?
They could be, and if UA cared about native-level fluency these potential employees could really clean up if they wanted to work as FAs for United. Somehow we don't appear to have a confluence of those two streams.

The reality is that UA thinks it has found a level that is 'good enough' much like Air France finds a level of English proficiency that is good enough for flights CDG-USA. Employment requirements are readily found, among them, these relating to U.S. employment rights and freedom to travel:
  • Must possess and maintain a valid United States passport or foreign passport with applicable visas and eligibility to work in the United States
  • Must pass the FAA-required ten-year work history review, a criminal background check, complete DOT fingerprinting, physical exam, drug screening and submit to random drug and alcohol testing throughout their career
  • Must be able to travel freely within the United States and without restriction to all countries United serves
  • Some countries place entry restrictions on foreign visitors. For instance, Canada prohibits entry to people who have been convicted of criminal offenses or who have criminal charges currently pending against them. Some convictions that make a person inadmissible for entry into Canada include theft, driving while intoxicated (DWI) and a number of felonies and misdemeanors. There are procedures to seek special permission or waivers from Canada to permit entry, but these are not automatic.
https://united-flightattendants.jobs/chicago-il/flight-attendant-bilingual/F03A9FD5652446DEB6F86F28A6928278/job/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.