Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Employee class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by kale73
Okay, so you can pick out the "obvious" ones. There's a better than zero chance that there are others who intentionally board later and may even (gasp! horrors!!!) be seated in Y.
The 100% method identifies those as well. But I can tell you they almost never sit in coach.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
The 100% method identifies those as well. But I can tell you they almost never sit in coach.
The 100% method being, I assume, "attempting to hijack the plane".
fezzington likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by halls120
The "big deal" is that UA entices me to be a frequent customer by giving me GPUs once I reach 1K or GS. When they give F seats to non-revs over paying customers with valid instruments, it undercuts their promise that I can use a GPU when there seats in F not occupied by a paying customer.
FWIW - it is not how the system is designed.

While there may be some bad apples, you can't simply eliminate employee travel privilege because of that.

Originally Posted by warrenw
Plus I paid cash for my ticket.
How about award travel?

I know it's one of the perks they get working for the airline but it just cheapens the experience for me.
AFAIK - UA is not the only airline doing this.

And as you have said - you can find a job at UA to overcome this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:39 pm

Man, the drama and snark on here is great. And the thing is, I like everyone on both sides of the fence. Y'all are much more likeable than the tools that populate a certain company's section on a water based travel forum I also frequent.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Keeping these things quiet/secret only embraces the status quo. Outing the Air Marshall for being easily spotted is prob the most important thing we can do to ensure the success of the Air Marshall program.

I've definitely spotted a few, esp as they usually prefer the same seats, and their training, at least from my perspective, is the exact opposite of typical undercover work. Their training seems to emphasize acting in flight like they are on the clock but not nervous, always booking the same seats, limited interaction with others, boarding earlier than any other passenger, chatting with the flight crew more seriously than other passengers or off-duty pilots, often obvious weapon when standing, and seemingly always fitting into the same demographic. I've seen a few that I was sure about skipping meals (or eating them very fast), drinks, TV and sleep. It's really very sad that no one has figured out how to run an undercover program yet.

Edit: Perhaps I missed something, maybe they want to be visible to those paying attention, but invisible to those occupied with their own thoughts. A better deterrent that way?

Last edited by johnden; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by johnden
Keeping these things quiet/secret only embraces the status quo. Outing the Air Marshall for being easily spotted is prob the most important thing we can do to ensure the success of the Air Marshall program.
Good point. Look for the hard plastic "football." The fact that it has a GSA bar-code is a bit of a giveaway. LOL.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by garykung

How about award travel?

AFAIK - UA is not the only airline doing this.

And as you have said - you can find a job at UA to overcome this.
Yeah I know most airlines do it.

I think awards are different because the person has collected enough miles to do it. I've never flown a flight on an award because I'm usually trying to make 1K, but I don't mind people who are, I mean after all miles/points can kind of be seen as a form of currency.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Good point. Look for the hard plastic "football." The fact that it has a GSA bar-code is a bit of a giveaway. LOL.
Sometimes they "out" themselves:
On a recent international flight, a cocky tough-looking guy boarded very late and the purser had to eject a pax from the back row (center section) of the front cabin in J to seat him. I thought nothing of it initially until later when I was stretching, out of the guy's line of sight near the galley, while he was chatting-up an attractive and young FA who had been swapped-in at the last minute due to the flu taking down the scheduled FA (surreptitiously overheard as well).

He was really bragging about his prowess as a FAM, and both he and the FA were laughing about the "poor" guy who got sent back to Y because they needed 2 FAMs on the flight-thereby outing his partner as well.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jan 18, 2018 at 2:50 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Sometimes they "out" themselves:
On a recent international flight, a cocky tough guy boarded very late and the purser had to eject a pax from the back row (center section) of the front cabin in J to seat him. I thought nothing of it initially until later when I was stretching, out of the guy's line of sight, near the galley while he was chatting-up an attractive and young FA who had been swapped-in at the last minute due to the flu taking down the scheduled FA (surreptitiously overheard as well).

He was really bragging about his prowess as a FAM, and both he and the FA were laughing about the "poor" guy who got sent back to Y because the needed 2 FAMs on the flight-thereby outing his partner as well.
And I have a feeling that the passenger was not offered downgrade compensation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2018 at 11:51 am Reason: OT content removed
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: None anymore
So there are two FAM's on every intl flight? Or just certain ones?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
So there are two FAM's on every intl flight? Or just certain ones?
certain. some routes more than others. You could speculate and be fairly accurate on the routes if you really tried.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Many of the “experts” on this forum are wrong about the FAMs. There is a fair amount of inaccurate information being circulated in this thread.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by clubord
Many of the “experts” on this forum are wrong about the FAMs. There is a fair amount of inaccurate information being circulated in this thread.
But boy, is it fun to read.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by fezzington

But boy, is it fun to read.
It sure is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.