Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United is inflexible using different upgrade instruments types on same PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United is inflexible using different upgrade instruments types on same PNR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
No official conversion, but 2:1 would not be uncommon on coupon connection.
OP does not have access to CC. No sense mentioning it. Split the itinerary and get it done. Switch seats if yours clears.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tryathlete
OP does not have access to CC. No sense mentioning it.
The purpose of FT is to share information. Others may be interested even if OP is not.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: UA, AS
What about using miles to waitlist the upgrade?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
What about using miles to waitlist the upgrade?
Same issue is both passengers need to use the same method. Additionally Hawaii flights have a copay (even for elites) {LAX/SFO have no copay for elites}. So instead of using expiring instruments, that would be miles and cash out of pocket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Tickets on the same PNR must be exactly the same: dates, flights, fare/booking code, etc. I’m guessing RPUs and GPUs need to be added separately, hence the requirement to split.

OP is flying LAX-HNL so the MUA copay is waived but it’s still a terrible deal.

I vote for the 2 RPU method.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kmxu
It is worth to call MileagePlus service center to switch out of a RPU (cleared in an early trip) with a GPU. Now, you will have two RPUs to apply to your new trip. If the upgrade does not clear, do another switch out to get GPU back.
good luck.
Technically speaking, an agent could manually waitlist the PNR for R, and then deduct 1xRPU and 1xGPU. Both this and a GPU/RPU swap would be extraordinary help though, but it never hurts to ask specifically!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
I have a similar situation as the OP. I have 2 remaining GPUs I want to burn before end of year, but there's 4 travelers on my reservation. I take it from this thread, it's impossible to request a GPU upgrade for 2 travelers and miles for the other 2...even manually?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rflor
I have a similar situation as the OP. I have 2 remaining GPUs I want to burn before end of year, but there's 4 travelers on my reservation. I take it from this thread, it's impossible to request a GPU upgrade for 2 travelers and miles for the other 2...even manually?
You will need to split the reservation/PNR, then it can be done
Note the method use for outbound and inbound can be different. But all on a given segment must be done the same.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 2017 at 3:48 pm Reason: outbound, not outboard
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can do it, you just need to split the PNR.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can do it, you just need to split the PNR.
Got it. Thinking more, I can split the PNR, use the upgrades for my wife and daughter, and aim for a CPU for myself and my son. It’s an ORD-MCO flight so odds are pretty good.

Any concerns with that approach other than the CPU risk?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Got it. Thinking more, I can split the PNR, use the upgrades for my wife and daughter, and aim for a CPU for myself and my son. It’s an ORD-MCO flight so odds are pretty good.

The split PNR may not retain your status for purposes of checking bags / E+ / boarding priority etc.

Or it might.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist

If your daughter is old enough to travel alone you might want to put them each on their own PNR. That way at least one will get upgraded if there’s only enough inventory to upgrade one person

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.