Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Headphones vs earbuds on LAX-SYD Dreamliner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Doing Polaris to Sydney and economy back to LA, traveling with young kids who do not do well with earbuds. Does anyone know whether they provide headphones or earbuds for the in-flight entertainment?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by acousticbiker
Doing Polaris to Sydney and economy back to LA, traveling with young kids who do not do well with earbuds. Does anyone know whether they provide headphones or earbuds for the in-flight entertainment?
There are headphones (not noise-cancelling) that go over the ears.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:28 pm

They are noise canceling, just not very good in my opinion.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
They are noise canceling, just not very good in my opinion.
Heh...speaks to how good they are if I thought they weren't.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll get larger headphones in Polaris and smaller headphones in Y. I don't remember ever seeing UA pass out earbuds. You can also bring your own.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Heh...speaks to how good they are if I thought they weren't.
I much prefer them over the Bose ones that American hands out because the FAs collect them before landing to prevent theft.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Wow, thanks everyone!

- Are we officially allowed to keep the headphones given out in Polaris (and economy)?
- Separately, for extra credit: has anyone ordered kids meals on these flights? What are they like?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Polaris no, economy yes.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
the polaris headphones are not to keep, I was flying lax-mel when the person beside me asked the FA, it was a stern "NO"

are the E+ the same as the polaris?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
- Separately, for extra credit: has anyone ordered kids meals on these flights? What are they like?
It has been a few years since I ordered a kids meal as my son is now 19, but I always ordered him the kids meal.

Two reasons:
1. it comes out earlier than the rest of the non-special order meals so meant I could ensure he could start his meal and no chance of me putting my elbow in my meal;
2. they always added a kid's chocolate in the kid's meal and coming back from Australia more often than not it a was a Caramello Bear or a Freddo Frog - both of which he liked.

It was not until he was around 12 he did not want the kid's meal and mainly because he wanted to eat the salmon dish.

In terms of type/quality of food think fast food which is always a hit with a kid.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
... are the E+ the same as the polaris?
All of economy (E+ and E-) get the same.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
You can buy much better headphones that not only sound better but are made for kids heads for not very much money. I think I paid $25 or $30 for 2 sets of decent kids headphones via Amazon. Given the length of your trip and the importance of keeping kids occupied, it seems a worthwhile investment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.