Wiki Posts
Search

Should UA start HI Inter Island Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Should UA start HI Inter Island Service

With Island air gone and HA the only real player, should UA consider inter island service to bolster their mainland service?

I see several benefits including keeping WN out with "true" connectivity with their network via GUM and the mainland. They could run this via the E175 and even offer a program where $15 checked bag fees unless connecting to the mainland where the standard fees apply. Can the E175 operate tight turns? I believe the tech issues on the Aloha planes are gone considering newer engine tech.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If it made financial sense, they would already be doing it.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
very high costs, both in it being Hawaii and also in running very short flights (with High CASM). Hawaiian has the right aircraft for the mission (717s) which not only is fully depreciated but can take the constant take-offs and landings.

United does not have the right aircraft for the mission (and can't just shuttle 738/9s through as they are too big and would not have enough regularity for local Hawaiian traffic, and would have to have a UX contractor run the flights. I don't see that any UX contractor would want to do this other than on a UA bore the entire expense, which would include setting up a maintenance base.

Finally, the valuable traffic is US-Islands, and UA has direct flights, and a better network than anyone at this point. My guess is that OALs and foreign carriers are far more dependent on connections ex-HNL than is UA.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Halo117
With Island air gone and HA the only real player, should UA consider inter island service to bolster their mainland service?...
A lot of the traffic would have to come from AK, AA, DL, etc. I can see those carriers making a deal with HA to provide inter-island connections vs passing them on to a UA inter-island service. And WN would suffer w/o interline. To be a good-sized viable competitor to HA, it has to be an airline that 1) doesn't operate out of HNL's commuter terminal and 2) interlines with all carriers. It's really hard to see an existing carrier than can do this w/o one problem or another with existing carriers. HA really does have a lock on inter-island.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 10, 2017 at 10:23 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
At least several times over the last 40 years through its demise, United was rumored to be looking at buying Aloha and running its own interisland operation.

I doubt United would be interested in taking on that complexity now and essentially having to adopt a strategy of undercutting an incumbent (HA) to gain share. UA is better served, as it is, deploying more resources to mainland flying from the neighbor islands to brace against forthcoming HA and WN growth.

Last edited by EWR764; Nov 10, 2017 at 10:43 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
With the increase in flight to all island, it negates the need for UA pax to transfer as much inter-Island. There’s a lot of capacity being added across all airlines. HNL is serving little less as a connecting point for many mainland travelers.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
With the increase in flight to all island, it negates the need for UA pax to transfer as much inter-Island. There’s a lot of capacity being added across all airlines. HNL is serving little less as a connecting point for many mainland travelers.
This is a bit simplistic. Non-stops from ORD, IAH, EWR only go to HNL and a good portion of those passengers want to go to another island. There are a lot of customers that visit multiple islands. If you're on the west coast and intend to stay on one island, you're fine. If you're from the rest of the mainland, inter-island service is important for flexibility.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I’m based in Chicago so I have a few decent options to Hawaii, some direct, others with a stop or so. No matter what it takes a full day to travel there. If I need to get to neighboring islands I can get there on Star Alliance or UA.

Buying another airline just to make it easier to get from island to island for the few times I take my family is an unneeded benefit although it would be nice.

I dont get the idea UA wants to make it any easier for me to use my miles to fly there judging by the aircraft and service they provide on flights there. Had to bring food for my entire family last trip a few years ago and the high capacity fleets with recliners in F said a lot back then.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
It seems UA's strategy is mainland to your destination rather than island hopping/connecting.

But it all depends on what Kirby's spreadsheet says
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
If it were profitable AQ would be back flying customers. (They are still in business flying cargo.) I recall after the AQ243 incident (all B732 fleet), they leased a bunch of B734 for a while...then went back to all B732. Tells you just how profitable it was.

As stated many times upthread, doesn't make sense for UA to try to do this now.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Historical note: UA used to have one inter-island flight. The OGG-ORD flight first made a stop in KOA because OGG's runway was too short for a fully fueled aircraft. You could sometimes (but not always) actually purchase OGG-KOA online for ~$79 iirc.
nnn, tuolumne and pfpdx like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wh6cto
If it were profitable AQ would be back flying customers. (They are still in business flying cargo.) ...
Aloha is not "still in business flying cargo". They went Chapter 7 - total liquidation. The cargo division was sold in court to parent company of Young Brothers (local inter-island barge company) and is/was just using the name. There is no remaining Aloha entity with a passenger certificate.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 10, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JHake10
But it all depends on what Kirby's spreadsheet says
More seats! Cheaper food! No upgrades! No saver awards!
artvandalay and JHake10 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA
We started flying IAD-HNL-KOA this January and will do that again this coming January. With the nonstop to HNL and better seats, it is compelling compared to connecting in California.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN
OP here...I guess we shall see what happens with HA holding the strings on interline. If no one steps up my guess is that HA inter island awards go up.

I read elsewhere that AS could try with horizon but have to get over their pilot shortage. Also why would HA still play nice with UA as evidenced by UA pushing island air connections before HA IME? Seems to me that HA could make UA pay a premium for encroaching on mainline cuz they can.

Lastly i really think that if WN was on the fence about inter island this news means they are over it now and I wouldn't be surprised route announcements include inter island from the start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.