Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Coach SFO-FRA: Would you choose LH A380 over UA 777-200?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

My significant other is flying SFO-FRA in coach, barring any business class award availability surprise. The choices are a LH A380-800 with a long connection spent in the LH lounge (via United Club membership) or a UA 777-200 with a short connection and only a little time for a stop in the lounge.

Neither of us have ever flown the A380. We have no idea how the coach seats compare. Which option would you choose?

Last edited by nsx; Oct 31, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, IHG Plat - AMB
Recently flew LH457 from LAX to FRA. The A380 was excellent. Upon checkin they had no Business availability for purchase. So I opted to pay 270 for Premium Economy. Highly recommended. Great space, and service was excellent as well. Bottled water in seat back, good internet, attentive service. Great experience. At least compared to what you'd get on UA 77-2 in Economy... I find the UA 77-2's to be quite cramped. Have yet to fly the new 3's.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nsx
...The choices are a LH A380-800 with a long connection spent in the LH lounge (via United Club membership) or a UA 777-200 with a short connection and only a little time for a stop in the lounge....
What Lufthansa lounge??? It's your partner's choice (at SFO) of a short miserable visit to a United Club or a long miserable visit to a United Club.

The lounge situation at SFO is currently the worst of any major UA hub.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 31, 2017 at 8:05 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nsx
My significant other is flying SFO-FRA in coach, barring any business class award availability surprise. The choices are a LH A380-800 with a long connection spent in the LH lounge (via United Club membership) or a UA 777-200 with a short connection and only a little time for a stop in the lounge.

Neither of us have ever flown the A380. We have no idea how the coach seats compare. Which option would you choose?
The 380 is a very confortable bird. Food/service will be much better than on UA, and I would never be comfortable with a "short connection" after a UA flight, too much chance to get messed over.

Only reason I would ever take UA is if I got E+ on the 777-200ER (not the HD or 773 bird, avoid them like the plague due to 3-4-3 seating) as the seat width is fine.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Also LH has a small Y cabin at the back of the A380 upper deck — if you can get seats there then definitely LH over UA
BThumme likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by truncated
Also LH has a small Y cabin at the back of the A380 upper deck — if you can get seats there then definitely LH over UA
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Agreed with all that but E+ in the 777-200, assuming you have UA G or above, is probably the best value option, simply because of the extra legroom. Otherwise, LH wins hands down.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

Unfortunately there is no dedicated LH lounge at SFO and the UA offerings are miserable at best. If she can get access to the AMEX lounge, that would be the way to go, otherwise I would not recommend to look forward to a comfortable lounge stay. Does your SO have status with UA or would she have to purchase E+ access? "Regular" coach with any airline is no problem for my SO, but she is 5'7 and under 100 lbs. It really depends on the size of a person. For me? No way. But I am sure you will make the right decision and I wish your SO a safe and comfortable trip. It's a long one.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Depends on how much they value legroom. LH is superior in every way except seat comfort in Y. If leg room is valued, and you can get E+, I'd do UA simply for that reason. I value it too much. Legroom > everything else in Y
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I have a different take. It depends on whether you like the cabin toasty or cool. Toasty (to me miserably hot and uncomfortable, LH runs the cabin temp at 25C) or UA cool at probably 18C.....

I vastly prefer UA as on LH, when you are already in shorts and a tee shirt and are still uncomfortable, then I am just not enjoying the flight. Also LH doesn't ever seem to have individual overhead air vents, UA most often does. I do like the LH premium economy and regularly pay for that over regular economy. There is no comparison with UA E+ IMHO.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
What Lufthansa lounge???
FRA lounge for a connection onward.

No UA status unfortunately, so E+ is not happening. Sounds like A380 upper deck in the back is the better choice.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
as another poster suggested, PE highly recommended. If not, I have done coach upstairs on the 380 a couple of times on the 2 seat side. Worked great!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nsx
FRA lounge for a connection onward.

No UA status unfortunately, so E+ is not happening. Sounds like A380 upper deck in the back is the better choice.
Just poach an E+ seat, they don't typically enforce.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Can you do outbound on UA and back home on LH? Personally I take a window seat and like to sleep leaning against the window. On the lower deck of the 380 the seat is actually a few inches farther from the window than on any other plane I have flown, making for quite uncomfortable sleeping. For a westbound day flight where I'd expect to be awake I'd choose LH because of the better food, service and likely wifi. Not sure about the 380 upper deck seats and their proximity to the window.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by CALMSP
as another poster suggested, PE highly recommended. If not, I have done coach upstairs on the 380 a couple of times on the 2 seat side. Worked great!
If they won't pay for E+ on UA, assuming they won't pay for PE on LH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.