Search

UA 77W vs DL A350 in Business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Madone59
zrs70 The DL seat may be more private with the door closed, but how do you feel about them both when the door was open? I've sat in the new Polaris seat but not the new DL and felt it was a bit of a phone booth.
Truth is, I think the privacy thing is a bit overrated. On DL, with the door closed, you can’t see horizontally, but people walking by can see look into your cubicle.

I found the Polaris seat easier to get into and out of. And on DL, if your tray table is out, there is no way to get out of your seat. UA allows ingress/ egress.

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
But what about JetBlue Mint suites (Row 2 & 4)? I've flown that and the doors seem to close more significantly than the DL A350 ones.
I find B6 better when flying in Y but worse in J. I find the J seats on B6 tremendously uncomfortable.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2017 at 6:11 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by halls120
How the lack of overhead storage a good thing?
On the 77W in F the overhead storage works out to be one bin per seat.
The F feels cramped when standing. Removing the center bins would give the space a much more open feel.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
The F feels cramped when standing. Removing the center bins would give the space a much more open feel.
I can see removing the center bins up front if there is still enough storage to go around - but those side bins on the A350 don't look all that spacious.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
UA's 77W's don't have an F cabin. I assume you mean J?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
As much as I love flying SQ, I am not a fan of its seats on the A350. The huge monitor is so close to your face and the footwell is too narrow and that seat is just not comfortable to sleep. I much prefer the SQ seats on the 77W aside from the same uncomfortable sleeping surface and angle.

Nevertheless, the A350 is a wonderful aircraft. I guess it is really depend on how the airlines select the seats and design the cabin layout. I did not think too much of the 787 after flown it on UA exclusively until I flew the NH 787-9 and AC 787. NH and AC make the 787 so much more appealing to fly in J than UA.

I cannot comment on OP’s review of DL J suite because I have not flown the DL A350, but the review earns my trust because OP is a long time respectable poster in this forum.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
ZRS - Thanks for the review.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA's 77W's don't have an F cabin. I assume you mean J?
The pointy end
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm surprised to hear a tie between DL and UA service. This is one area where DL has UA beat by a mile IME.

This year I've flown 4 INTL trips on DL in business and found the service to be par with UA's. Which honestly, was disappointing after hearing about DL's superior service.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
My wife and I recently flew 77W Polaris EWR-NRT and A350 DeltaOne NRT-DTW and largely agree with @zrs70's points above.

For Polaris, we had middle, forward-facing seats and liked being able to easily talk to one another with the divider down (although I accidentally hit the "up" button a few times). I feel like the forward-facing seats get a little hidden by the angled seats in front and back; I got skipped during the desert service and had to walk up to the galley to ask for my paper cup of ice cream. I slept pretty well, especially using the gel pillow.

For Delta, we had window seats. No real issue with sharing the overhead bins with the middle seat passengers. I liked having air vents, which are missing in the middle seats. I also agree the door, while novel, is somewhat over-rated for privacy. I couldn't sleep on my back as the seat is too narrow and the armrest for some reason isn't adjustable. I also found the inability to fully extend the leg rest other than in full bed mode to be really annoying.

For me, the food was about even and service slightly better on DL.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Nevertheless, the A350 is a wonderful aircraft. I guess it is really depend on how the airlines select the seats and design the cabin layout. I did not think too much of the 787 after flown it on UA exclusively until I flew the NH 787-9 and AC 787. NH and AC make the 787 so much more appealing to fly in J than UA.
Same here. I had initially only flown on UA 787s and found the experience to be very underwhelming (perhaps it was also due to how much Smisek and team hyped it as a game-changer when it first came out).

Since then having flown AA's 787, I've found the experience to be much more pleasant than flying the UA config.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:05 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Is the lack of centerline overhead bins on the DL A350 due to pilot rest above intruding slightly in to the cabin, or is it strictly a "cosmetic" thing to create the air of spaciousness like on the original DC10s and L1011s?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Same here. I had initially only flown on UA 787s and found the experience to be very underwhelming (perhaps it was also due to how much Smisek and team hyped it as a game-changer when it first came out).

Since then having flown AA's 787, I've found the experience to be much more pleasant than flying the UA config.
The UA B787 J seats are a real let down, last gen, not direct aisle access, and shorter than those on the sCO B772. I too found it to be a major let down. Flew JAL's version in J and it was a great seat, great flight, liked the airplane.

I've only been on the CX version, but like others said, the A350 is a much more open aircraft and very quite. I mildly prefer it to the B787 (assuming its not a UA configruation) and the A350 is vastly better in Y than the 3-3-3 configurations most airlines are running on the B787.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Oh I so want to fly the A350. My 19 year old is flying TG next month on the A350. When does UA start taking delivery?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.