Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

77H goes TATL: DUB (& BCN) gets HD for Summer '18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77H goes TATL: DUB (& BCN) gets HD for Summer '18

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
This thread and thread tiltle is totally misleading, i dont know why no one had caught about 77H doesn‘t exist anymore, the config for 77H was 2-3-2 in F and 2-5-2 in Y. 77H was the combination of 6 77A and 3 77C, the current 2-4-2 in C, 3-4-3 in Y is 77G !!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
This thread and thread tiltle is totally misleading, i dont know why no one had caught about 77H doesn‘t exist anymore, the config for 77H was 2-3-2 in F and 2-5-2 in Y. 77H was the combination of 6 77A and 3 77C, the current 2-4-2 in C, 3-4-3 in Y is 77G !!!!!!!!!!
while technically correct most folks know this config as the H or HD. I would propose 77HD as that is exactly what it is with minimal/old amenities and the most dense UA 772 aircraft.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Seems like it was only a matter of time. They have so many of these things.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:24 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by minnyfly
I'm not saying I would universally pick a 77H over a 752. Lack of of PTVs on the 77H can flip it back. What I am saying is that as far as comfort goes in Y- (E+ is a different story), there's nothing special about the 752 versus the 3-4-3 777. It's only about a half-inch wider per person at torso height, and it's not readily noticeable (if at all - since I know the difference, it could be why I might "feel" it). Meanwhile the widebody has so many other advantages, such as straighter sidewalls for more shoulder room, 5 seats per aisle, twin aisles for easier movement about the cabin, larger overhead space, and a more open cabin for a more spacious feel (can't forget the psychological impact that has on people). Widebodies leave me feeling much less cramped. I don't chase a phantom half-inch and leave behind everything else. The 777 wins for me, all else equal, even at 3-4-3.
Agreed. It's really not end of the world. I managed 11 hours in a 3-3-3 787 and have managed the same in a 3-4-3 777. Would more space be nice? Sure. But then I remembered that I only paid $500 for a TATL flight and my mind goes back to my movie.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
I'm wondering when Basic Economy will show up on this route, particularly now that no-bags fares are available on other carriers flying North America-Irish routes.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
This also explains the UA announcement that they'd be reducing 77H flights between GUM and NRT. Those planes would be out in the Pacific for some time but now they'll cycle back east faster to be available for the Europe flights. I guess the Europe market is rebounding a bit.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by minnyfly
You're missing the point. The point is that there's nothing special about EWR-DUB flying with a 3-4-3 777. That's the future for UA's 777, and configuration changes in either a positive or negative direction for any route are common (and positive changes are rarely mentioned since it's easier to complain). The IPTE J seats aren't unique either. It's unique for the route, but it's definitely not unique for UA J. The only change that's unique and a clear downgrade is the lack of PTVs. That's it. There's a valid complaint there.
No, I understand the point quite clearly. Just because the 3x4x3 seating arrangement on 777 is infesting more planes and routes, it does not mean that complaints are no longer worthy.

Being squeezed into a sardine can should never be acceptable as the new normal.
spin88, CurbedEnthusiasm and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodeats21
No, I understand the point quite clearly. Just because the 3x4x3 seating arrangement on 777 is infesting more planes and routes, it does not mean that complaints are no longer worthy.

Being squeezed into a sardine can should never be acceptable as the new normal.
This. x1000. I don't see why people defend this disgusting trend.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by halls120
This. x1000. I don't see why people defend this disgusting trend.
Why defend it? Because I've gone to Europe 5x for less than $500 and Asia 2x for less than $600 in the past few years.

If having a little less seat space means I can afford to travel long-haul internationally once or twice per year, then I'd gladly take this "disgusting trend".

You're more than welcome to pony up for another carrier that offers a true Y+ experience.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by caverunner17
Why defend it? Because I've gone to Europe 5x for less than $500 and Asia 2x for less than $600 in the past few years.

If having a little less seat space means I can afford to travel long-haul internationally once or twice per year, then I'd gladly take this "disgusting trend".

You're more than welcome to pony up for another carrier that offers a true Y+ experience.
I, for one, would like to know how big the people who defend this trend are.

If the defenders average 5'7" and 140 lbs that can help the rest of us assess their comments more accurately.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:52 am

That is exactly what I'm doing.
spin88 and caverunner17 like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I, for one, would like to know how big the people who defend this trend are.

If the defenders average 5'7" and 140 lbs that can help the rest of us assess their comments more accurately.
Let me break it down for you.

Do you like $500 airfares to Europe? Yes or no?

A high majority of the flying public views flying as a means to get from A to B. I don't plan my vacations around which aircraft or airline offers the widest seat or best food. I base it on where I want to go and who offers the combination of best price and best timing. You have to remember only a tiny percentage of the flying public actually knows the difference between a 777 and an A330. They might notice the difference between a "mini jet" (regional) and a standard or a standard and a "super jet" (widebody), but they don't know or care that they're flying on a 777 or 767 or whatever.

Any concerns of seat discomfort are likely gone within a few days of their trip and no matter what, it will beat the thin hard seats of ULCCs like Ryanair, Frontier and Spirit.

Again, I and many others like $500 TATL fares. If that $500 fare gets you a seat that you don't like, then pay more and fly another airline that offers Y+. I know I'm not willing to pay more for an inch or two extra of space, and neither is most of the flying public
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You're absolutely correct, and that's why so many carriers are going 10 across in Y. They've concluded most Y passengers won't pay more for a less miserable experience.

Personally, I am not that market.
rallyeHI and caverunner17 like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Let me break it down for you.

A high majority of the flying public views flying as a means to get from A to B. I don't plan my vacations around which aircraft or airline offers the widest seat or best food. I base it on where I want to go and who offers the combination of best price and best timing. You have to remember only a tiny percentage of the flying public actually knows the difference between a 777 and an A330. They might notice the difference between a "mini jet" (regional) and a standard or a standard and a "super jet" (widebody), but they don't know or care that they're flying on a 777 or 767 or whatever.

Any concerns of seat discomfort are likely gone within a few days of their trip and no matter what, it will beat the thin hard seats of ULCCs like Ryanair, Frontier and Spirit.

Again, I and many others like $500 TATL fares. If that $500 fare gets you a seat that you don't like, then pay more and fly another airline that offers Y+. I know I'm not willing to pay more for an inch or two extra of space, and neither is most of the flying public
Not sure I buy all of this. Lufthansa is offering ~$500 TATL fares, but using A330s/A340s. And if you were finding ~$500 TATL on United metal in the previous years, they managed to do it without 3x4x3.

I have always been told that Airfare pricing is not dependent on the cost of serving the route. I have no doubt that if the United could charge $2,000 for 3x4x3 in TATL, they would do so.

This is about United (and other Airlines) maximizing profit at the expense of customer experience and comfort. Sure, some customers may not know any better, but lets not lose touch with reality and think that United is cramming people into airplanes to keep prices low.
rallyeHI likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're absolutely correct, and that's why so many carriers are going 10 across in Y. They've concluded most Y passengers won't pay more for a less miserable experience.

Personally, I am not that market.
That, and most people don't remember that "miserable" experience days later.

I've flown international Y 7x in the last 5 years.

All different carriers - United, Delta, Lufthansa, Swiss, Air Canada, Iberia, Air Berlin, Cathay, ANA and Air Asia.

The only things I remember (and this is coming from an aviation enthusiast) are:
  • First long haul flight with AC, I was shocked/excited we got free beer.
  • CX had awesome food, even on a regional (4 hr) flight. Best Y food I've ever had and since it was a near empty flight, I had a lovely conversation with the FA about cool things to do in HKG.
  • Loved the windows on UA's 787 on DEN-NRT
  • A Swiss FA gave me two handfuls of delicious chocolate when I went back to the galley asking for a snack.
  • I had a whole row to myself on my IB flight.
  • ANA served some weird tasting tea
  • UA butchered my ORD-HKG flight with a ~10 hour delay then cancelled it until the next day due to weather and poor replacement crew scheduling.

Notice a trend? Food and service make more of an impression on me than seat comfort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.