Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What should I do in anticipation of becoming a 1K?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Start searching for R>0 now for your intl flights. Get ready to pay more to book into W

Prepare to see yourself in the #1-#5 range of the CPU standby list instead of #10-#20 while sitting in Y+ as the door closes.

If you like the bulkhead seat, prepare yourself to proactively ask for your free choice menu item since they'll probably forget about you.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
1K is like being the new kid in school. You can see all the perks and benefits but when it comes time to grab one you’re #1 on the list when the door closes.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
One of the things I appreciated was the 1K call line and 1K voice email address. I've always had a good experience calling in and was able to get help with various issues I have had.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
How about feeling "special" when boarding with Group 1 which includes everybody except the non-travelers....
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Continental
Be prepared to be #25 on the upgrade list out of sfo.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
As someone who just status matched over from AA, it sometimes puzzles me at everyone's response here. I really missed UA and am now (shocker, I know) happy to be back at UA.

I'm 8/8 on upgrades, with 6/6 flying with my SO. I've flown with her on the weekends - off peak travel time - and all cleared at T-100. Not everyone on this forum travels Sunday Night/Monday Morning - Thursday night, or is on a flight full of GS from/to SFO. My last flight was EWR-GRR on an E145, and the FA came over and said "you're my 1k, welcome aboard, let me know if I can get you a drink and a snack (which he gave me before everyone else on board)"

The couple times I've called the 1K line I've gotten right through and felt, at least for a second, that the person on the other side was very friendly and willing to help. It's sad to see UA's recent downgrade on changing award tickets, but 1K still has all the previous benefits. And that's on top of *G benefits (great for me being based in DTW (LH lounge), and the very generous SDC policy)

1K is far from the doom and gloom that people in this thread have sarcastically made it out to be, and I for one am looking forward to my first full year as a 1K. I'll never be GS, but am very happy that I'll be 1K.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH

Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Prepare to be number #5 on the upgrade waiting list instead of #15 as the plane pulls back.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by nottarockstar
This.

I've found it more frustrating flying knowing I'm *this* close to an upgrade on all of my flights, then ending up in Y after checking the list over and over hours before departure. There was something relaxing about knowing I had no chance of an upgrade before 1k lol.
over and over hours before depature ....

When I was 1K, I'm doing over and over until the door closes while I'm BIS in my E+ seat.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Awesome responses!

Guess the one thing I am looking forward to are the free drinks and food in economy plus. Does this include alcohol?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by azfanboy
Awesome responses!

Guess the one thing I am looking forward to are the free drinks and food in economy plus. Does this include alcohol?
Yes, but it's drink, not drink(s). (unless you find a very nice FA willing to give you an extra mini).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azfanboy
Awesome responses!

You need to learn the difference between a TAPAS and Classic box

Classic is for fat people and contains sweets and processed cheese spread and is delicious

Tapas contains like 3 different types of crackers and fancy ....

My fat ... gets the classic unless I am with the wife - then I order the tapas - I shouldn't have to explain why that is
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:37 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SFHokie
No on in person, but an automated email sent "from" Oscar will arrive in your inbox before and after the 1MM event...
You are joking, of course?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Free Cheeseburger!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
Originally Posted by 1P
You are joking, of course?
No, the poster is not joking. Been there, done that. Perhaps you hit 1 MM before Oscar's arrival and did not get the emails?

Last edited by Flexible Flyer; Oct 27, 2017 at 1:00 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.