FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1873701-worth-making-premier-silver-2017-2019-consolidated.html)

jsloan Jun 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by amtrakusa (Post 29879624)
however, i don't think silver and even gold will have a good shot at E+ anymore on international long haul (at least decent seats).

That's ridiculous as it applies to Gold, who have E+ access at the time of booking. I can see the value for a Silver customer though.

However, keep in mind that the people in P+ are, in many cases, going to be the people who were in E+ anyway; either UA Gold+ or people who would have purchased the extra legroom. I don't expect a major change to the allocation of E+ seats as a result of this change... unless P+ actually cannibalizes J traffic instead of enhancing Y traffic, in which case P+ will disappear quietly from the fleet.

exploreaswego Jun 20, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Folks, I have a side question regarding earning status into Gold.
I'm currently "gifted" a Silver status due to the match from my Marriott Platinum status.

So my question is, all I need to do to get Gold is to reach 30k PQM and spend $6k PQD right?
Or do I actually have to meet all the silver requirement (25k PQM $3k PQD) + 30k PQM $6k PQD on top of my gold requirement?
55k PQM and $8k PQD is seems ridiculous just for the *A lounge access - which is the goal for me here.

jsloan Jun 20, 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 29886836)
So my question is, all I need to do to get Gold is to reach 30k PQM and spend $6k PQD right?
Or do I actually have to meet all the silver requirement (25k PQM $3k PQD) + 30k PQM $6k PQD on top of my gold requirement?
55k PQM and $8k PQD is seems ridiculous just for the *A lounge access - which is the goal for me here.

Neither, but closer to the latter. Having gifted Silver status does not provide a leg up on the Gold requirements; however, they're cumulative; they don't reset when you pass the Silver status level. So, to get Gold, you need 50K PQM total (not 55K -- I think you've mixed up segments and miles there), and $6K PQD or a PQD waiver.

exploreaswego Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 29886861)
Neither, but closer to the latter. Having gifted Silver status does not provide a leg up on the Gold requirements; however, they're cumulative; they don't reset when you pass the Silver status level. So, to get Gold, you need 50K PQM total (not 55K -- I think you've mixed up segments and miles there), and $6K PQD or a PQD waiver.

Sorry, gold requirement is 50k PQM + $6K
So this means I will bypass the Silver requirements, and don't need to do (25k+50k PQM + $3+6k PQD), all I need to do is meet the gold requirement, am I right?

laxmillenial Jun 20, 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 29886887)
Sorry, gold requirement is 50k PQM + $6K
So this means I will bypass the Silver requirements, and don't need to do (25k+50k PQM + $3+6k PQD), all I need to do is meet the gold requirement, am I right?

You're not bypassing, they're just cumulative requirements: For example,

To achieve silver: you need 25K PQM + 3K PQD.
If you achieve that....then to reach Gold, the next status, you will need an additional 25KPQM + 3K PQD (for a grand total of 50K PQM and 6K PQD).
You will need 50K PQM and 6K PQD for reach Gold.
To answer your question: "Yes, you are right".

exploreaswego Jun 20, 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 29886900)
You're not bypassing, they're just cumulative requirements: For example,

To achieve silver: you need 25K PQM + 3K PQD.
If you achieve that....then to reach Gold, the next status, you will need an additional 25KPQM + 3K PQD (for a grand total of 50K PQM and 6K PQD).
You will need 50K PQM and 6K PQD for reach Gold.
To answer your question: "Yes, you are right".

Got it, thanks for clarifying.
Essentially, my Marriott status match for Silver was kind of a fast track, skipping the Silver requirements, so once I earn 50K PQM and 6K PQD, I'll qualify for Gold.

findark Jun 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 29887002)
Got it, thanks for clarifying.
Essentially, my Marriott status match for Silver was kind of a fast track, skipping the Silver requirements, so once I earn 50K PQM and 6K PQD, I'll qualify for Gold.

Yes, but anyone who gets 50k PQM and 6k PQD will qualify for Gold. As a Marriott Plat, you will be Silver from the start, which is the only difference.

exploreaswego Jun 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 29887365)
Yes, but anyone who gets 50k PQM and 6k PQD will qualify for Gold. As a Marriott Plat, you will be Silver from the start, which is the only difference.

I see your point, the 25k PQM and $3k PDQ is a milestone, so as long as you hit that you qualify for silver.

serialportme Sep 22, 2018 3:12 pm

E +

Hi - first time Silver, already have credit card so benifits for Silver limited.

Question- when checking in online, how or when does it ask me to change my seat to E+, assuming availability?

thanks.

danielSuper Sep 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by serialportme (Post 30233920)
Hi - first time Silver, already have credit card so benifits for Silver limited.

Question- when checking in online, how or when does it ask me to change my seat to E+, assuming availability?

thanks.

When you click on Select your seat, you can choose E+ seats without a fee. It won't ask or push you to E+, you have to pick it yourself, just the fee will $0.

serialportme Sep 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by danielSuper (Post 30233947)
When you click on Select your seat, you can choose E+ seats without a fee. It won't ask or push you to E+, you have to pick it yourself, just the fee will $0.

Great. Thank you!

Wonder if I would take a middle E+If only availability vs regular Econ aisle...lol

StuckinITH Sep 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by serialportme (Post 30233963)

Great. Thank you!

Wonder if I would take a middle E+If only availability vs regular Econ aisle...lol

I would not. But after you check-in keep looking at the seat map as some passengers might get upgraded and free very good E+ seats, including bulkhead and Exit row aisle or window seats.

hypermiler Dec 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Is it worth it for Silver on United?

Hi, here's my current situation for 2018 on United:

Year to date:
Premier qualifying miles†: 23,674
Premier qualifying segments†: 12.5
Premier qualifying dollars†: $2,650

Is it worth it to try to do a mileage run to get SIlver? Any advice on a good EOY mileage run? LAX is my home airport.

Thanks!

xliioper Dec 13, 2018 2:19 am

Originally Posted by hypermiler (Post 30529503)
Hi, here's my current situation for 2018 on United:

Year to date:
Premier qualifying miles†: 23,674
Premier qualifying segments†: 12.5
Premier qualifying dollars†: $2,650

Is it worth it to try to do a mileage run to get SIlver? Any advice on a good EOY mileage run? LAX is my home airport.

Thanks!

You'll need to spend about $400 on a ticket in order to get $350 PQD's. Whether it's worth it to you depends a lot on much flying you plan to do with United next year. Do you already have a United credit card (which gives you some of the benefits of Silver)? You can do a roundtrip from LAX-DEN on 12/27 or 12/28 for $402.80 in Economy which would meet your PQM and PQD requirements.

sexykitten7 Dec 13, 2018 6:23 am

Personally I'd say yes if you plan on flying another 25k+ on UA next year. Best benefits are E+ and elite phone line IMO.