FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1873701-worth-making-premier-silver-2017-2019-consolidated.html)

slivrflyr Oct 1, 2017 5:51 pm

Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

So first time first year of silver.

Bah.

The only benefit is Econ plus, which really is only sitting a row higher up.

I’m going to be just over 10k short this year and I can’t see the upside really.

United club card adds a few benefits and that’s prob all I need.

Honestly. I’ve NEVER gotten CPU and this isn’t really key for me because I never fly more than 2 hrs domestically so “business” class isn’t much different. Transatlantic,
Where I do like to use my united miles, isn’t even eligible for CPU

WineCountryUA Oct 1, 2017 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr (Post 28881976)

E+ free access, extra economy award space, extra bag allowance, higher boarding group and access to premier security are the "real" Silver benefits. Some credit cards will give you the latter four. So if E+ is not viewed as a benefit, get a credit card and don't waste time and money chasing Silver.

Upgrades have never been a significant Silver benefit and should not be the goal of a Silver elite.

anc-ord772 Oct 1, 2017 6:30 pm

You must not be tall.

Repooc17 Oct 1, 2017 8:45 pm

So first time first year of silver.

Bah.

I’m going to be just over 10k short this year and I can’t see the upside really.

United club card adds a few benefits and that’s prob all I need.

Honestly. I’ve NEVER gotten CPU and this isn’t really key for me because I never fly more than 2 hrs domestically so “business” class isn’t much different. Transatlantic,
Where I do like to use my united miles, isn’t even eligible for CPU

First, congrats on making it to Silver!

I think complementary E+ is a huge benefit, even being only available at check-in. Just the other day, Folks in my row talking about their strategies in buying up to E+ for the least amount of $ - you are getting an "upgrade" for free. Granted, not a great upgrade, but because you are able to sit (near) the front of plane, you deplane faster. This has saved me from potentially missing some tight connections.

chrisl137 Oct 1, 2017 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28882060)
E+ free access, extra economy award space, extra bag allowance, higher boarding group and access to premier security are the "real" Silver benefits. Some credit cards will give you the latter four. So if E+ is not viewed as a benefit, get a credit card and don't waste time and money chasing Silver.

And way better IRROPS handling. You don't realize it til you fall back to general member.

BBSHOPSINGER Oct 2, 2017 11:24 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137 (Post 28882603)
And way better IRROPS handling. You don't realize it til you fall back to general member.

+1. I always get a great "premier desk" rep when calling in for anything. I am always pleased with their service.

Upgrades are not expected, but they do exist. I've been upgraded on 4 of my last 5 flights. It's a nice bonus when it happens. For silver upgrades, it's usually on early-morning or late-night flights, or flights with very little business traffic.

chrisl137 Oct 2, 2017 11:35 am

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER (Post 28884775)
+1. I always get a great "premier desk" rep when calling in for anything. I am always pleased with their service.

It's paid off for me a few times when there was weather and I could call before I'd have to leave for the airport, not have to wait on hold, and get my change handled in a few minutes.

The time it really paid off was when my flight took off late due to MX, leaving me to misconnect. I got off the plane and it had me autobooked for something about 8 hours later. There was a customer service desk with a huge line right where I deplaned, but nobody in the premier line. I asked to be put on standby for the next flight out (about 40 minutes and 2 gates away) without losing my confirmed later flight. No problem, and because I'd already taken a weather delay of a full day I was #1 on a standby list of about 80. Even lucked out and got an E+ aisle.

slivrflyr Oct 3, 2017 7:15 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137 (Post 28882603)

Is the premier desk any different w silver than the premier desk access you get as a chase united club cardholder?

Basically I’ll be 10,376 PQM short by year end after accounting for planned trips so trying to do the math if it’s worth it to do a mileage run for that much just To get silver.

chrisl137 Oct 3, 2017 7:54 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr (Post 28888233)
Is the premier desk any different w silver than the premier desk access you get as a chase united club cardholder?

Don't know, since I've never had the club card, but if it's called the premier desk it's probably the same.

CMK10 Oct 5, 2017 5:20 pm

I agree with those posters above. I was Silver in 2015 and 2016 and the one time it really mattered was IROPs. I was at SFO flying to ONT and it was one of those awful weather days at SFO so everything was delayed. I managed to standby on an earlier flight but after everyone boarded it was decided we were now overweight. Four people were pulled off, I wasn't. Premier Silver saved me that day.

prometa Oct 5, 2017 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr (Post 28888233)

Basically I’ll be 10,376 PQM short by year end after accounting for planned trips so trying to do the math if it’s worth it to do a mileage run for that much just To get silver.

Premier Access = elite check-in, elite security line, group 2 boarding

Premier Desk = special call in number staffed by US employees without hold times, can do things regular customer service line cannot, and can do it faster, because they are the most experienced.

As a prior United Club cardholder, I'm fairly sure you don't have access to the premier desk, but you do get premier access.

The premier desk is the #1 benefit of being a United elite, even Silver. I've had the premier desk fix issues in seconds, change flights due to expected weather (in advance of delays officially announced), among other things. The #2 benefit, as others have indicated, is IRROPS handling. I've been able to get a confirmed seat on a fully blocked flight with 10+ standbys in the midst of storms causing hell.

slivrflyr Oct 7, 2017 3:31 pm

Yes. Premier desk. I’ve been routed to it before when I call United/MileagePlus and I’ve only hit silver this year for the first time

WineCountryUA Oct 7, 2017 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr (Post 28905239)
Yes. Premier desk. I’ve been routed to it before when I call United/MileagePlus ....

Every time? Occasionally due to workloads, I could see a non-premier being routed to a Premier agent.

Have never seen this published as a credit card benefit and don't remember any other credit card only poster mention this.

BBSHOPSINGER Oct 10, 2017 9:58 pm

I've had the Club card for a few years now, but have only been Silver for the last 2. I never got the premier desk until I actually was premiere.

I will try to find a way to keep up my Silver status. The benefits of E+, Premier Desk, and occasional upgrades (got another one this morning) make it worthwhile.

Fly4SCUBA Oct 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 28882456)
First, congrats on making it to Silver!

I think complementary E+ is a huge benefit, even being only available at check-in. Just the other day, Folks in my row talking about their strategies in buying up to E+ for the least amount of $ - you are getting an "upgrade" for free. Granted, not a great upgrade, but because you are able to sit (near) the front of plane, you deplane faster. This has saved me from potentially missing some tight connections.

DITTO! And the leg room is invaluable at 6'2".