Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to Change An Int'l Flight Booked with Voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR

Hey Friends,

This is my first post. So please forgive my ignorance.

I booked flights UA1408 and UA1405 from IAH to BZE a few months ago with a flight voucher UA gave me for giving up my seat. My flight departs in 4 weeks. I'm no longer able to travel next month due to work. Am I able to change a flight booked with a flight voucher? Will it be in United's system as a Rev or Non-Rev flight? Any idea what the approximate change fee would be?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Known_Traveler_206
Hey Friends,

This is my first post. So please forgive my ignorance.

I booked flights UA1408 and UA1405 from IAH to BZE a few months ago with a flight voucher UA gave me for giving up my seat. My flight departs in 4 weeks. I'm no longer able to travel next month due to work. Am I able to change a flight booked with a flight voucher? Will it be in United's system as a Rev or Non-Rev flight? Any idea what the approximate change fee would be?

Thanks for your help!
welcome to flyertalk! I would imagine your voucher was for a specific dollar amount, right? Not sure if UA still has free ticket vouchers. If you can clarify, then I can best respond to the question!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!

.... I booked flights UA1408 and UA1405 from IAH to BZE a few months ago with a flight voucher UA gave me for giving up my seat. My flight departs in 4 weeks. I'm no longer able to travel next month due to work. Am I able to change a flight booked with a flight voucher? Will it be in United's system as a Rev or Non-Rev flight?...
The flight has the original cash value, However, if an agent notices it was paid via a voucher, the flight change will be limited to UA only flights, as was the restriction on the original purchase. Some have not had the restriction applied on the rebooking.

... Any idea what the approximate change fee would be? ,,,,
There will be a change fee (based on your particular original fare rules) and a potential fare change.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Assuming you were given $ value ETCs, these are just a form of payment. So whatever the fare rules are for the underlying fare apply, and it’s no different than if you had paid for everything with a card.

if you purchased a pretty typical, non-refundable discount fare, you can change with a penalty (typically $300 for economy international fares). You can go online to cancel your current flights, or call and have an agent do it The PNR with the funds from your original purchase remains valid for one year from the issue date of the original ticket (I.e. you can complete re-scheduled travel until one year after you purchased he original flights). You can re-book a new itinerary at the same time you cancel the original, or figure that out later. You have to pay the change fee with new money at the time you schedule new flights, and will then have access to the entire value of the old ticket.. If the new fare is higher than the original, you’ll also have to pay the balance. If the new fare is lower, you’ll get a new voucher for the difference, valid for another yeafor another new flight.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
Not sure if UA still has free ticket vouchers. ...
UA has not done those since years before the merger
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There will be a change fee (based on your particular original fare rules) and a potential fare change.
Do you know where I can find the fare rules to determine what my cancellation fee will actually be? I've heard of cancellations being up to $400.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:06 am

Do you know where I can find the fare rules to determine what my cancellation fee will actually be? I've heard of cancellations being up to $400.
Best & easiest to call and ask. Economy likely will be somewhere in the $200's and business higher. North American change fees tend to be similar to domestic.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Best & easiest to call and ask. Economy likely will be somewhere in the $200's and business higher. North American change fees tend to be similar to domestic.
I just checked a sample deep discount economy fare and the change fee was $200. That's likely to be the change fee in this case as well, although I agree that calling is the most accurate approach.

Note that there is no hurry to cancel, as long as you do it before your original outbound flight. If you get lucky, your flight might be significantly delayed, or they may add a travel waiver for IAH or BZE -- perhaps due to bad weather. Either of those situations might allow you make a free change or get a refund. So, if you don't need to use the funds for another trip right away, it may be a good idea to set a reminder for the day of travel and take care of it then.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help. I just got off the phone with United customer service. I have the the total cost of the flight refunded in the form of United credit. I only need to pay the $200 change fee when I go to book my next flight. It's a decent bit of cash, but less than half of the cost of the flight. So I'll take it!
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.