FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Refuse an Upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1870131-refuse-upgrade.html)

LimeySD Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm

The RPU will be credited back if LAX > EWR does not clear. I have had this happen a bunch when the significantly shorter leg clears but the long leg does not. Just like with domestic legs & GPUs when the international leg does not clear. Take the upgrade and smile (for a very few minutes).

catbox9 Jun 14, 2022 3:18 pm

Flying SFO-AMS. I had bulkhead window E+ and I hear my name paged at the gate. I try to talk to agent but she said my name wasn't paged (her pronunciation of my name was pretty bad).

I'm now in seat 21E (premium plus). Not sure this is an upgrade as there's not even room to get up without disturbing someone and I no longer have a window to sleep on. I wasn't able to talk to an agent because she insisted she didn't call my name.

When I boarded the plane with the wrong ticket nothing even notified me that my seat changed which was a bit odd as well. If not for the app I would've never known until someone else came to my old seat.

Would it have been possible to turn this upgrade down? Flight sold out so not really a way to get that seat back, but I'm not sure I'd ever pay extra for this seat as to me it's a big downgrade.

jsloan Jun 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 34336139)
Would it have been possible to turn this upgrade down? Flight sold out so not really a way to get that seat back, but I'm not sure I'd ever pay extra for this seat as to me it's a big downgrade.

Turn down the upgrade? Yes, certainly.

Turn down the upgrade and get your old seat assignment back? That could be tougher.

By the time she paged you, the agent had probably put someone else into your seat.

catbox9 Jun 14, 2022 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34336159)
Turn down the upgrade? Yes, certainly.

Turn down the upgrade and get your old seat assignment back? That could be tougher.

By the time she paged you, the agent had probably put someone else into your seat.

Kind of what I figured. I mean I can't really complain because I requested this upgrade (and business). Moving here moved me from #10 to #1 on the business upgrade list which I didn't expect. It's checked in full so I'm not holding my breath there.

Not sure what to think about premium plus. It's marginally better than E+ but the best E+ seat is almost certainly better than the worst premium plus seat and that makes it a tough sell to me. I've flown these cabin quite a few times and I've never really felt like I was treated like a premium passenger.

jsloan Jun 14, 2022 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 34336174)
Kind of what I figured. I mean I can't really complain because I requested this upgrade (and business). Moving here moved me from #10 to #1 on the business upgrade list which I didn't expect. It's checked in full so I'm not holding my breath there.

That display is not to be trusted. You're not supposed to have jumped up, and there's a good chance you didn't. :) Sadly, for three-class planes, it seems that the list doesn't match what the computer actually does.

It'd be nice if the agent had called you up to let you know that the only available seat was an aisle and asked if you wanted it. Unfortunately, not all agents will do that, as you discovered. :(

catbox9 Jun 14, 2022 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34336195)
That display is not to be trusted. You're not supposed to have jumped up, and there's a good chance you didn't. :) Sadly, for three-class planes, it seems that the list doesn't match what the computer actually does.

It'd be nice if the agent had called you up to let you know that the only available seat was an aisle and asked if you wanted it. Unfortunately, not all agents will do that, as you discovered. :(

The only available upgrade was a MIDDLE seat not even aisle.

FLYMSY Sep 29, 2022 8:34 am

I have a TATL itinerary tomorrow. First segment is domestic and I’m #1 on the upgrade list with 2 bulkhead seats not assigned. Currently have an exit row seat which I much prefer over a bulkhead. I’m #3 on the TATL upgrade list with 8 seats unassigned. I called yesterday and asked an agent to remove the CPU request for the domestic leg, which she said she did. I’m still showing as #1 on the domestic upgrade list with the CPU request in place.

Should I call and request it be removed again? I still have about 28 hours before my 1st leg, but I don’t want to do anything that might impact the other upgrade requests.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Sep 29, 2022 9:27 am

You can definitely ask to be removed from CPU consideration for that one segment.

FLYMSY Sep 29, 2022 10:40 am

Thanks, I thought so. However, after 3 calls trying to accomplish this, I’m giving up.

Call #1 yesterday, resulted in no change.

Call #2, 10 minutes ago, the agent removed me from the domestic segment AND the TATL segments. I emphasized several times that I only wanted to be removed from the domestic segment upgrade list. She confirmed that was what she did. :confused::confused:

Call #3 , 5 minutes ago, I explained the whole situation to the 3rd agent and she got me reinstated to the TATL segment. But, now I’m also back on the domestic segment list!!! :confused::td:

I’m afraid to try again because who knows what would happen next. 🤷‍♂️

txaggiemiles Sep 29, 2022 10:47 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 34641143)
the agent removed me from the domestic segment AND the TATL segments .

I would not touch it for this exact reason and if you clear into the bulkhead go up to just about anyone in coach and offer to switch seats.

Repooc17 Sep 29, 2022 10:56 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 34640755)
I have a TATL itinerary tomorrow. First segment is domestic and I’m #1 on the upgrade list with 2 bulkhead seats not assigned. Currently have an exit row seat which I much prefer over a bulkhead. I’m #3 on the TATL upgrade list with 8 seats unassigned. I called yesterday and asked an agent to remove the CPU request for the domestic leg, which she said she did. I’m still showing as #1 on the domestic upgrade list with the CPU request in place.

Should I call and request it be removed again? I still have about 28 hours before my 1st leg, but I don’t want to do anything that might impact the other upgrade requests.

Experience tells me the those open seats will be occupied prior to door closure.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Sep 29, 2022 10:56 am

FT United forum has a few FAs and pilots who are occasional posters. It would be nice if an experienced phone agent was a regular contributor to add knowledge in these cases. Someone who could actually explain the process so we can explain it to a less experienced agent - agents probably don’t get too many requests to be removed from CPU list. I definitely have had success in being removed from CPU consideration for a particular segment while being left in place for another.

I may be strange, but I have zero interest in a CPU from a E+ window seat to a single-aisle F seat on a red eye Hawaii to West Coast. I can lean against the window to sleep better in E than in F on narrow-bodies. So yeah, CPU me LAX-LAS, but no thanks for that redeye HNL-LAX CPU

FLYMSY Sep 29, 2022 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34641194)
Experience tells me the those open seats will be occupied prior to door closure.

One of those formerly open Polaris seats on the TATL segment is definitely going to be occupied ……… by me. Just got the upgrade notification. :D :tu: