Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hardcore approach to turning off wireless devices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hardcore approach to turning off wireless devices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Whether it is stupid or not, or whether we agree with it or not, why can't people just do as they are told? A tremendous sense of entitlement abounds in this day and age.
I have to agree with you..but it brings me back to the question, do electronics really interfere with aircraft systems or is it likely to be a hinderance in the event of an emergency during take off or landing?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whether it is stupid or not, or whether we agree with it or not, why can't people just do as they are told? A tremendous sense of entitlement abounds in this day and age.
I am not sure if "entitlement" is the reason but it seems nowadays breaking rules and being a rebel is cool and that people simply are addicted to their devices...

Regardless, yes, rules are rules for us but rules are meant to be broken for others
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I read a great quote the other day - "If you think you "deserve" something, that's the first step on the road to stupid."
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by wolf72
I would like to ask a pilot who flies passenger aircraft as to the level of noise interruption from mobile phones that are on or are not on fly mode...it's really that bad and difficult to listen to communications during flights/pre-take off/landing, etc?
Funny you should say that as this article appeared in my feed just the other day. The questions asked are funny in that they aren't the ones most FTers would ask but...

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/z...to-ask-a-pilot

"How bad is it really if I don't switch on airplane mode during a flight?
If just one passenger leaves his mobile phone on, it's not likely anything would happen. But if more people would do the same near the cockpit, we'll hear feedback in our headsets. That noise is louder than the radio messages and it can disrupt our navigation devices. Not the GPS itself, but the devices that are there to replace the GPS if anything happens."
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
I am not sure if "entitlement" is the reason but it seems nowadays breaking rules and being a rebel is cool and that people simply are addicted to their devices...

Regardless, yes, rules are rules for us but rules are meant to be broken for others
Your statement about addicted to their devices is spot on. Seems a generation will be born in the very near future with curved necks and long thumbs as evolution takes over. Just look at how many people can't put their phones down while they are driving and it is proven over and over again that that IS very dangerous. But people can't put their phones down and have the attitude, it won't happen to me, I do it responsibly. BS, if your eyes aren't on the road they are not on the road looking. Until you can prove you have eyes like a chameleon that work independently of each other and your brain can process the info from each eye independently just put your phone down. And that message or email can't wait 10 minutes to when they turn wi-fi on? Until the FAA says devices have 0 impact on flight controls, comms, navigation, etc and they allow phones to be on all the time put it in airplane mode. You are not special, you are not more important than the next person who follows the rules, It just shows what an egomaniac you are that you think you are above the rules. The FAA has still determined that devices need to be off or in airplane mode and it was fairly recently that they changed the rules. And they will change them again when testing proves there are no consequences, not just a low probability but no consequences. And yes, if you still think you are better than everyone who follows the rules at least do as mentioned above, put your device on silent. Just makes you look more of an idiot when your phone makes noises from an incoming or outgoing whatever when the phone is supposed to be in airplane mode and wi-fi is not enabled yet. Enough ranting.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This is all so stupid. Your electronic devices will not harm the aircraft in any way....

Originally Posted by Fizzer
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/z...to-ask-a-pilot

"How bad is it really if I don't switch on airplane mode during a flight?
If just one passenger leaves his mobile phone on, it's not likely anything would happen. But if more people would do the same near the cockpit, we'll hear feedback in our headsets. That noise is louder than the radio messages and it can disrupt our navigation devices. Not the GPS itself, but the devices that are there to replace the GPS if anything happens."
<sigh>
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
<sigh>
I'll be glad to give them headset recommendations. They are obviously using old models.

And I would hardly trust a rag like Vice. The navigation interference is BS. It has been disproven.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I'll be glad to give them headset recommendations. They are obviously using old models.
Probably salvaged from Sopwith Camels.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Whether it is stupid or not, or whether we agree with it or not, why can't people just do as they are told?
That's a dangerous idea. I'm glad some of us question things. Should the nurse in Utah have just allowed the cop to violet the patient's rights?
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
That's a dangerous idea. I'm glad some of us question things. Should the nurse in Utah have just allowed the cop to violet the patient's rights?
And that has precisely nothing to do with the topic of this thread so cast your bait elsewhere. Out.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not even comparable.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:20 pm

And I would hardly trust a rag like Vice. The navigation interference is BS. It has been disproven.
I am not for one second suggesting that Vice is a great source but was responding to the question posed about a pilot's perspective on this issue. That was given in the article and while I will not pretend to have any knowledge of telecommunications technology the pilot has expressed a concern, presumably based upon his experience.You might disagree with it ( and I guess you do) but then you're not flying the plane.

Another pilot. https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#3bfe95473bd5
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fizzer
I am not for one second suggesting that Vice is a great source but was responding to the question posed about a pilot's perspective on this issue. That was given in the article and while I will not pretend to have any knowledge of telecommunications technology the pilot has expressed a concern, presumably based upon his experience.You might disagree with it ( and I guess you do) but then you're not flying the plane.
I do fly planes. Not a 737 of course but I've never had any issue with the instruments in the 172 or 182. I've never turned off my phone and none of the people flying with me do either. And commercial aircraft have much more sophisticated avionics systems than general aviation aircraft. An aircraft would never pass certification if it could be brought down by cell phone interference.

But I would never want phone use permitted. Not because I believe it will harm the aircraft (it won't) but because I don't want to hear some airhead talking on his phone the entire flight.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Learn to use analogies. The nurse was following the rules, the cop wasn't.
username and wolf72 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:38 pm

I respect your greater knowledge on the issue but I don't think either of the articles suggested that it would bring down the aircraft. Both pilots quoted independently say that a single phone is not the issue but that many phones cause an irritating and potentially distracting background noise and could, potentially, cause confusion if they were attempting to communicate with others. I have no idea why the FAA bans it but while they do I will happily comply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.