FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew [Master thread 2016 onward]. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1863367-what-route-s-do-you-wish-ua-flew-master-thread-2016-onward.html)

JNelson113 May 9, 16 3:17 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 26596671)
Same explanation that they should have an IAH-HKG.
Clearly there's an demand because AA has DFW-HKG and it's been having decent loads.

However IAH-PVG won't happen once UA started LAX-PVG.

I would LOVE IAH-HKG.

I would also like anywhere in the U.S. to South Africa.

KaizerWilhelm May 9, 16 6:43 am

I would like EWR-KEF. I have no desire to fly to FRA then to KEF or to fly on Iceland Air in their J seats.

FullTimeFlyer May 9, 16 8:38 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 26596671)
Same explanation that they should have an IAH-HKG.
Clearly there's an demand because AA has DFW-HKG and it's been having decent loads.

AA wouldn't be flying HKG from DFW if they were flying from ORD and a NYC-area airport like UA is. In particular, ORD seems to address the mid-continent market for them. Not to mention SFO, of course.

Boy I'd like to second that South Africa wish though.

FTF

Madone59 May 9, 16 10:20 am

Originally Posted by sluis (Post 26586283)
SFO-MIA that has to be one the biggest missing links in the UA network.

Originally Posted by spotfin (Post 26586391)
Agreed, same applies to LAX-MIA.

This was one motivation when I moved to AS/AA. UA's lack of service to MIA from the West Coast is brutal.

MiltonFreedMan May 9, 16 11:27 am

IAH -> AKL - preferably as an 787

bldr1k May 9, 16 12:55 pm

Some US hub (e.g. IAD or EWR) to JNB. Getting there on Star Alliance is a nightmare...I don't really want to stop in Ghana, Lagos, Ethiopia or Frankfurt.

Forces me to fly Delta every time (ATL-JNB).

gglave May 9, 16 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k (Post 26599438)
Some US hub (e.g. IAD or EWR) to JNB. Getting there on Star Alliance is a nightmare...I don't really want to stop in Ghana, Lagos, Ethiopia or Frankfurt.

I've never been to that part of the world, so forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with South African Airways out of IAD or JFK?

Tblack15 May 9, 16 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by gglave (Post 26599732)
I've never been to that part of the world, so forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with South African Airways out of IAD or JFK?

IAD has a quick stop in ACC (Ghana as OP leads with), when I took that flight it was actually DKR..

How can OP get to JFK on *A? :D Would have to change airports.

beyondhere May 12, 16 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Azmordean (Post 26550380)

Honestly, if someone other than UA hubbed SJC and had a decent selection of non-stops (including transcons and IAD) it might be enough to make me switch my flying loyalty.

It'd be interesting if AS did a three pronged strategy and kept a good mix of long haul and mid-con routes from both SJC and SFO, and some mid-con from OAK, along with Intra california against Southwest. Southwest somewhat does this but limited to more short-haul flights in west coast. I think UA should have expectation that AS will be a bigger threat than VX in the Bay Area.

One SFO route that I believe UA should cover is SFO-DTW. It'd be strange if AS adds that route before UA. AS already has a presence in DTW with SEA-DTW. It gains a big footprint on the SFO side from buying VX. It might increase station utilization at DTW by adding a SFO flight. Really, UA should be on this route before AS, since it's a much larger carrier on the SFO side.

On another note, I'd like to see UA fly LAX-PHL. I believe UA has a large FF base on the LAX side. From anecdotal experiences, I've heard many in the PHL market also travel up to EWR and as such UA has a FF base on the PHL side. UA also flies to a couple of popular markets (SFO, ORD) already. My dad opts to keep the United credit card over AA credit card, even though UA's EWR hub is 70 miles away while PHL is 25 miles away.

There was also some name blur when UA and US were part of the same alliance. Many that were flying codeshared routes like PHL-ORD-GRR flying US on one leg likely didn't know differences enough. While AA has put new paint on those US planes, I don't even know if people (ones flying less than 10 times a year) based in PHL really know that AA is now the big carrier there, and expectation is to look at AA's flights first. Essentially, I believe UA can compete on this route.

beyondhere May 12, 16 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon (Post 26580409)
PHL and MDT customers still have IAD for international connections on all-aircraft service.

Plus driving to EWR from MDT in my opinion is better than IAD in some ways. All it takes is one accident on that rural part of route 15 and you're sweating making it...why not consider driving to ABE and taking the UA "flight" (shuttle bus) to EWR? You luggage is checked at ABE and less driving for you.

I hadn't considered that, but taking I-83 to 695 to 95 (through the Baltimore region) would seem more advisable and knowable, although it's 22 miles longer than route 15, if Harrisburg is the starting point. If it's Lancaster or York counties, it's not longer using I-83. Through the highways through Baltimore region is still 20 miles shorter than driving from MDT to EWR. Driving to EWR is also congested and EWR long term parking is more expensive than most airports. IAD has several hotels that offer stay one night and park for several days. IAD doesn't have the nonstop India flights and several other markets that UA offers from EWR. In that sense, I think UA would offer more destinations with MDT-EWR flight service than a MDT-IAD flight service.

DA201 May 12, 16 8:01 pm

Looking at SFO, there are a ton of routes that they should be flying. UA flies non of the following routes:
SFO-CLT (AA currently flies 6x daily)
SFO-MIA (AA currently flies 4x daily... but they do serve SFO-FLL 1x daily)
SFO-DTW (DL currently flies 4x daily)
SFO-TPA (seasonal service would be sufficient for now)
SFO-MKE (WN currently flies 2x daily... they fly MKE-CLE but not MKE-SFO)
SFO-CMH (WN currently flies from OAK 1x daily)

beyondhere May 21, 16 7:39 am

Originally Posted by DA201 (Post 26617911)
Looking at SFO, there are a ton of routes that they should be flying. UA flies non of the following routes:

WN has a revenue guarantee (from Columbus and Franklin County, OH) to operate CMH-OAK. I'm guessing Columbus approached UA first for CMH-SFO but UA declined interest. YNG approached UA for YNG-ORD and UA declined interest, so it's not unusual for UA to decline interest.

As far as MKE, UA might have been initally stubborn thinking MKE users can go to ORD and support UA there. But since WN has kept the route operated before by AirTran, UA might feel it's too small of a market to split with WN.

SFO-FLL has low fare carriers (VX, B6) resulting in lower fares, so that might explain the low frequency into South Florida.

I think UA should be covering SFO-CLT and SFO-DTW.

FlyerTalkUserName May 21, 16 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by DA201 (Post 26617911)

TPA airport officials would be quick to tell you TPA-SFO has the most daily itineraries of any route in the US without a non-stop.

That might be a misquote, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. If not I'm sure I can count on a FT'er to call me out. :)

DA201 May 22, 16 9:07 pm

Was booking a flight to Seoul today and it reminded me how UA does not fly EWR-ICN. This flight is long overdue. KE/OZ combined manage to fly 2x daily A380 and 1x daily 747 ICN-JFK but UA can't manage one daily 772 ICN-EWR? My options are always connect in NRT to a 737 (which sucks because it is a narrow body) or connect in SFO to a 744 (which would be great if it didn't add so much time to my trip). I always end up connecting in SFO or booking through OZ for their nonstop (flew AC before as well). I'm fine connecting in SFO for flights to places which obviously don't have the O&D to support an EWR nonstop (KIX, TPE, etc.), but ICN definitely has the O&D. And UA could connect passengers onto OZ flights.

beyondhere May 30, 16 7:47 am

As WN has added OAK-BWI on a year-round basis, and recently announced SJC-BWI, I think it's a matter of time before WN considers OAK-EWR and SJC-EWR as WN dominates the alternate Bay Area airports, adding more transcons from them, and as EWR will no longer be a slot restricted airport.

I think it might be sensible for UA to hold it's grip on the EWR side and offer EWR-SJC and open up OAK again. OAK is a low cost to operate airport unlike JFK, so even though another UA hub is nearby, it might make sense to keep a token presence to prevent a competitor on select routes.

While UA has over 10x on EWR-SFO, the day WN adds EWR-OAK, it will capture a segment of high yielding pax that would be otherwise taking the high frequency EWR-SFO. If instead UA was on that route, it would put a wet blanket on WN's potential interest.

Regarding re-opening OAK, conventional thought would be fly to the nearest connecting hub (outside of the region) like UA offer SJC-DEN, but it might be good interest to increase SJC presence with SJC-ORD/EWR and open OAK with flights beyond the DEN hub instead of DEN (where it would lose competing directly against WN). UA has service on SJC-DEN/IAH but not on SJC-ORD/EWR.