Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQD requirement for foreign members, will it ever happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PQD requirement for foreign members, will it ever happen?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
If someone is flying UA less frequently than the typical 1K, hence low PQD
Low PQD and flying UA less frequently aren't the same thing. I paid about 7.5 cents per PQM last year.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
I am one of these foreign 1K members... Honestly I don't know how much I spend, but I tend to travel in expensive J class (when I don't pay the bill )

Travel is about 40-60% on UA Metal. If UA would stop the PQD waiver, I´d stop flying UA on quite a few routes (TATL or to south america) and certainly would stop accruing miles with UA, since Oneworld nowadays offers better connections on many of my typical routes (and AA now flies direct to my home town..). If the PQD thing would become real, other airlines would offer better programmes.
I have quite a few friends with similar cases, and I think they'd do the same.

United would be really stupid if they stop the PQD-waiver thing.
Kannai likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Low PQD and flying UA less frequently aren't the same thing. I paid about 7.5 cents per PQM last year.
I was just over 11 cents per PQM last year and looking like 9 cents this year with United. Agree low PQD and flying less frequently are not the same thing. I do fly OALs.

Understand foreign 1K members would make a choice of OALs if there were a PQD requirement. As a US resident I am in the same position with the PQD - is it worth it to fly internationally with United to meet the PQD for 1K?
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by JMBResona
That's fair; and if that happens, I'll be more than happy to credit my flights on NH instead. I'll probably only be a NH Platinum, but at least I get semi-lifetime *G through a NH credit card.

See, everyone's happy!

In all seriousness though, IMO sticking with UA is a harder and more inconvenient decision for overseas members than it is for domestic members. So I feel only slightly guilty that I hit 1K with $3000 PQD.
Here here. I'd be on NH most of the time if I weren't able to get status with UA via the PDQ waiver. I usually get 1K with $6,000 – 7000 spend so you make me feel less ... guilty isn't the word. ... I think even counting flight on NH and TK and occasionally on TG, getting much past the Platinum spend most years since I only buy Y.

Last edited by Kannai; Mar 2, 2019 at 7:53 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I primarily travel internationally so am in the same GPU moshpit as 1K members who do not reside in the USA. We all have a choice of carrier for international travel whether we reside in the USA or outside the USA. GPUs can only be earned by 1K members so do wonder if United will bring in the same 1K requirement. I still think my original musing about the percentage of non-US resident 1K members in 2020 would be an interesting statistic.

I do agree with your proposition as it relates to domestic travel (which is not my concern as my domestic travel is quite limited and generally short hops and I travel South West as often as I fly United for domestic travel).
Right, but foreign 1Ks who don't make the PQD requirement are probably as a whole flying fewer flights on UA to begin with (yes, I realize cheap fares, etc. etc.) so there's relatively less competition with them.
Kannai likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by drewguy
Right, but foreign 1Ks who don't make the PQD requirement are probably as a whole flying fewer flights on UA to begin with (yes, I realize cheap fares, etc. etc.) so there's relatively less competition with them.
This. As an overseas 1K I mainly do it for the GPU's when I do fly to the states otherwise I'm using it for the star alliance benefits. Last time I did a longhaul UA flight was in June, otherwise I was on EVA for the majority of the rest of my longhauls. They are REALLY competitive price-wise out of Asia (unfortunately it means connecting in TPE though)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by emcampbe

i get that, but see UA walking a line to encourage those living in foreign countries to continue using UA where they can, where it’s much harder to earn PQD unless they are exclusively doing home-US trips. If you are, say, EU-based, and do half of your travel to the US, and other half to EU/Asia, what incentive is there to use UA on those US trips, unless you are consistently buying full-fare or close to it and might make PQD anyway. Zero if you can’t make status - much easier to use LH group in that case (even with M&M’s own drawbacks).

I could see see an argument where if they devise a way for PQD to happen when flying on partners, that PQD is required no matter where you live. But until then, I’m guessing the calculation from those who have access to the numbers is that it would cause UA to lose too much business.

example, when I was an expat in India, and when PQD and dollar-based earning first started, there would have been zero incentive for me to use MP or UA on my trips back home to US and Canada when as much or more of my travel was within India and Asia and therefore impossible to do on UA. In that case, it would make more sense for me to use one of or some
combo of LH/TK/SQ/AC (etc.) when there would be no possibility of earning UA status. Also, probably would have been much easier to do my Asia travel on non *A, where instead, I typically used SQ and TG almost exclusively. The PQD waiver kept me on UA when possible. Alternatively, needing to meet PQD with a reasonable PQD rate on partners would have done the same.
I can see this point as well. Living abroad certainly has different choices of air carriers. I suppose that is the benefit of a strong alliance program. I am sure UA will not change the PQD qualifying criteria any time soon.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
And, for lower status levels, there are no credit card waivers for foreign residents as, at least in theory, the UA ccs are available to US residents and prohibited for non-residents.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And, for lower status levels, there are no credit card waivers for foreign residents as, at least in theory, the UA ccs are available to US residents and prohibited for non-residents.
Totally understunderstand the no PQD requirement for nonresidents at the lower levels because as you note there is the CC waiver for US residents. The lack of symmetry (IMO) is at the 1K level where there is no CC waiver for US residents but nonresidents still have no PQD requirement.

As stated am going to join the pool of nonresidents in 2020 where I will choose which airline to fly TPAC/TATL as those TODs (on any airline) look very good when you are not concerned with PQDs.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
It's a legal issue. Price discrimination is illegal in most jurisdictions outside of the U.S. Companies can not offer lower prices, discounts, rebates or other benefits to customers who spend more. It's only legal in the US where the airlines have co-opted to their cronies in Congress to exempt them from the anti-price discrimination laws.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems to me some of this also relates to how Star Alliance and JV partners will work together on one hand and compete on another? How does UA use Star Alliance and the JVs to its advantage but keep customers, especially those most valuable ones, on UA metal when it benefits UA?

How do you structure Star Alliance when all the partners think this way (the Chinese calls it "Same Bed, Different Dreams.")? How do you structure MileagePlus when you want to achieve what UA wants to achieve?

I don't know the answer. I think PQD world-wide will eventually be implemented. I just wish they would change MileagePlus so award tickets on UA operated flights count toward lifetime status.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
It's a legal issue. Price discrimination is illegal in most jurisdictions outside of the U.S. Companies can not offer lower prices, discounts, rebates or other benefits to customers who spend more. It's only legal in the US where the airlines have co-opted to their cronies in Congress to exempt them from the anti-price discrimination laws.
Are you sure about that one? Both DL and AA have spend requirements to earn elite status for non-US residents.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:15 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Are you sure about that one? Both DL and AA have spend requirements to earn elite status for non-US residents.
Credit card partnerships.
UA and DL have a PQD/MQD waiver with their US credit cards partners, and DL waives the MQD req for foreign addresses like UA. I believe AA gives "bonus" EQDs but doesn't actually waive the req with their US credit cards. That's probably how AA gets away with having a EQD for non-us residents.

On the other hand, AA allows Oneworld elites access to their version of economy plus, so I wonder if united would do the same to try to get more foreign flyers onto UA metal if they decide to "enhance" like AA and get rid of the PQD waiver.

Edit: UA*G also lacks access to United Clubs on domestic, so that's like a negative $450 cost when comparing to foreign based frequent flyer programs.

Last edited by mr8; Mar 2, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

Are you sure you’re not just jealous?

Not at all. My annual spending yield isn't what it used to be in the early/mid 2000s ($45,000-$55,000 on domestic fares). I am generally between $30,000 and $40,000 (not quite GS material). The best part is I may pay for one or two trips a year when I go on vacation (amounting to less than $750-$800 of my own dollars). The rest is paid by someone else due to the nature of my profession.

Jealousy ........ no. I have been a 1K for 22 of the past 25 years, GS 3 out of the first 4 years that program came to be, all on someone else's dime. I'll be lifetime 1K in 9 years or so courtesy of my customers so I wouldn't say I'm really jealous.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
While I understand those living outside the US love that there is not a PQD threshold I believe a standard threshold maintains the integrity of the program.
The program is already inherently unfair to people outside the U.S. For one thing, 90% of all Mileage Plus promotions only apply to U.S. residents. If you make the requirements the same for everyone, you need to level the benefits and opportunities as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.