Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to use A gates at SFO "soon"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
A retired 747 could taxi back and forth to connect the gates airside in style.
iluv2fly, jsloan, nnn and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They can always re-hub NRT until SFO gets enough gates It is kind of crazy to be running into this at their prime Pacific Gateway that is strategically important to them.
oopl likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by cyberjet
But you'd have to stow everything and sit down. You can stand on a bus!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by altbg
With very tight turn times already I can't see UA deboarding a plane at A, towing it over to E or F, and then getting it ready again for an on-time departure. So without affecting the schedule, what flights could UA potantially send to A? Flights that arrive well before schedule?
It happens at other airports, though. Seen it at EWR for sure. Sometimes, my departures have been ontime despite the inbound arriving in B. Not every flight has a tight turn.

Being in the midwest with most of my travel domestic, I don't connect in SFO much, but most of my ORD/IAH/DEN mainline connections this year have had me on aircraft that have had turns of 2+ hours. My last trip was to SFO, and my outbound plane from SFO also was on the ground for 2 hours, IIRC.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just tow it back and forth. Remove the wings, convert the forward main deck to a UC and the upper deck to a Polaris lounge. West Coast Moon buggy.
jsloan and nnn like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:17 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
And surely we would have threads on FT complaining about the boarding order.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nnn
And surely we would have threads on FT complaining about the boarding order.
and the "coffin" sUA 2-4-2 J seats...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
EDIT: Sorry, posted incorrect info.

Last edited by gengar; Sep 13, 2017 at 4:31 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by altbg
So without affecting the schedule, what flights could UA potantially send to A?
I would put all the LAX flights in A for several reasons.

1. You could have dedicated LAX-only gates grouped next to each other making it more efficient to accommodate any stand-bys or IRROP issues.
2. The competitive LAX market would have very short taxi times to get to the departure runway (1L/R 90% of the time) More ontime/early LAX arrivals.
3. LAX probably has the lowest percentage of domestic connecting pax since most pax can take a N/S to LAX either on UA or another carrier. Even if a connection is missed, LAX has enough frequency to get you on the next flight in less than an hour.
4. Int'l arriving pax will need to go through security anyway and the G to A walk is no worse than G to E/F.
5. UA could have LAX-only gate agents that frequent LAX pax could work with exclusively. Great customer relations opportunity.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:36 pm

I'm a little surprised that nobody's yet mentioned *A partners COPA and Avianca. They occasionally flew out of Terminal A in recent years. Do they still do that? It was a little sad for *G's not to have any lounges to wait in.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by PenaltyBox

2. The competitive LAX market would have very short taxi times to get to the departure runway (1L/R 90% of the time) More ontime/early LAX arrivals.
I'd venture to guess that they have a bigger problem with o/t arrivals into sf when there is flow control versus on time departures down to SoCal.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
3. LAX probably has the lowest percentage of domestic connecting pax since most pax can take a N/S to LAX either on UA or another carrier. Even if a connection is missed, LAX has enough frequency to get you on the next flight in less than an hour.
I'm not sure that's true. Every UA flight I've taken SFO<->LAX recently has been a connection. For those of us @sfo (and I'd wager LAX) the latter is often the best option if your TATL or TPAC nonstop is sold out. Or sometimes the fare is just much better.

Of course, this validates your point about frequent service, which is what makes the connection attractive. But if I want to fly O/D from Bay Area to LA I will normally take WN and avoid LAX like the plague.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Get your walking shoes on !
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lani1
Get your walking shoes on !
The Air Train is generally a faster way to transfer from T3 to the A gates.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

1. You could have dedicated LAX-only gates grouped next to each other making it more efficient to accommodate any stand-bys or IRROP issues.
4. Int'l arriving pax will need to go through security anyway and the G to A walk is no worse than G to E/F.
5. UA could have LAX-only gate agents that frequent LAX pax could work with exclusively. Great customer relations opportunity.
An interesting thought, but UA moves a lot of connecting traffic between LAX and SFO, especially to the Pacific network (ex-SFO, MEL for LAX).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.