Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why so little service NYC-LON?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
"So little"? Over 1,100 premium-heavy seats to a strictly O&D city? No, that's quite a bit of capacity to LHR. Comparing UA to paired airlines with hubs on both ends will not be kind to UA in any circumstance.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by vca
not to mention London is losing a TON of financial jobs to Frankfurt where United is nicely situated.
I make no comment here on the pros and cons of Brexit, but there is no evidence of 'a TON' of jobs moving. Any announcements of moves have so far been small beer.

In any case, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that any airline has cut back its London flights due to Brexit.

Ryanair has made noises about being forced to move aircraft to Europe, but that is to do with the potential end of Open Skies freedoms rather than any drop in demand.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Not to mention, if you ever look at seat maps in January to March, you’ll see planes at 30% capacity. No way UA can afford to add additional slots at this time.
Seatmaps, particularly in January, tell you nothing at all about capacity.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by mduell
- Lack of a partner hubbing at LHR since the demise of BMI.
Actually UA has an opportunity to feed revenue traffic through LHR to a huge new terminal full of *A airlines. They just need to set up the JV's to do so.

For me EWR-LHR-BKK on UA/TG would be sweet: double redeye, and early am arrival in Asia. One can dream.

SL
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SunLover
Actually UA has an opportunity to feed revenue traffic through LHR to a huge new terminal full of *A airlines. They just need to set up the JV's to do so.

For me EWR-LHR-BKK on UA/TG would be sweet: double redeye, and early am arrival in Asia. One can dream.
But can't you do the same double-redeye + early am arrival in Asia by flying via FRA or ZRH?

I can't find any *A carrier at Heathrow with destinations from NYC that a connection at LHR would really open up compared to connecting at their own hubs. A3? Nah, UA flies EWR-ATH. SK has nonstops from NYC airports to all their destinations from LHR except SVG, and that's quick via CPH.

AI to AMD via LHR is maybe the only route?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by vca
If the demand was there they would have more service...not to mention London is losing a TON of financial jobs to Frankfurt where United is nicely situated.
Not even remotely true. Some jobs will move, the vast majority will not. Even as an opponent of Brexit I recognise this.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I make no comment here on the pros and cons of Brexit, but there is no evidence of 'a TON' of jobs moving. Any announcements of moves have so far been small beer.
Originally Posted by NY Times
(Reuters) - Global banks have said they could move thousands of jobs out of Britain to prepare for Brexit, the country's planned exit from the European Union.

Financial services companies need a regulated subsidiary in an EU country to offer products across the bloc, which could prompt some to move jobs out of Britain if it loses access to the European single market.

Following are related stories about top banks (in alphabetical order):

ASSOCIATION OF FOREIGN BANKS IN GERMANY

The association expects 3,000 to 5,000 new jobs in Frankfurt over the next two years as a result of Brexit, its head Stefan Winter, of UBS, told German newspaper Welt am Sonntag in June. He said he expected 12 to 14 major banks to expand their Frankfurt sites significantly or build new ones.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
In any case, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that any airline has cut back its London flights due to Brexit.
True - but no airline anywhere has published their S19 timetable yet.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AceReport
Also lets not forget just how subpar Air India really is. So many will choise UA's directs out of EWR or connect through FRA or ZRH on LH or LX
AI is almost always priced a lot cheaper - including one way's while some of their benefits are better than UA for Y pax.

My point was we have AI, 2x BA daily and 1x VS daily from EWR. That seems like enough capacity out of EWR.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I find UA has done a good job with its currently EWR-LHR capacity.

OP is comparing apples with oranges. Compare a single airlines with two global alliances does not make a lot of sense to me. Also, try to include VS into mix of Skyteam is also misleading.

UA has no control of other *A routes. When comparing with AA and DL, UA is just as competitive.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jmr50
So, why so little United service? In fact, next summer they're dropping 1 flight a day out of NYC, bringing their daily seats under 1000...
The #6 EWRLHR was a slot-squat. UA has been at 5x consistently since 2013 or so and seems to be adequate coverage for the market. UA can always upgauge capacity as needed... a shuttle schedule with departures virtually every 30 minutes at peak times (a la AA/BA at JFK) is not necessary, nor would it be sustainable without onward connections at LHR. Despite the co-location and theoretical ease of connections, LHR is substantially a terminus for the *A carriers.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by IggySD
Because UA retreated from this market several years ago... Although the final JFK surrender occurred during the Smisek regime I do recall this capitulation had its origins prior to the merger.
Originally Posted by EWR764
LHR is substantially a terminus for the *A carriers.
Correct answers above. LHR is not a big *A outpost, a sizable slice of clientele do not care to use EWR, and the quality momentum is with DL and AA. (You should check out the increasing praise posts for AA J in the BA forum, whose denizens seem more interested in defecting from their own hollowed-out airline --but not to UA.) UA has opted not to lead in NYC-LON.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EWR764
The #6 EWRLHR was a slot-squat. UA has been at 5x consistently since 2013 or so and seems to be adequate coverage for the market.
Is it possible the LHR slot from the dropped EWR-LHR flight is being re-purposed for Denver-LHR next March?

Sooo excited! I'm definitely doing London next spring on our new nonstop! We had it several years ago, and I made use of it several times.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by SunLover
Actually UA has an opportunity to feed revenue traffic through LHR to a huge new terminal full of *A airlines. They just need to set up the JV's to do so
SL
Again, there's nothing *A can do in London that they're already doing better and cheaper at Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, etc. Plus,. with no *A member hubbed there, IRROPS get very very dicey if you miss a connection.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Is it possible the LHR slot from the dropped EWR-LHR flight is being re-purposed for Denver-LHR next March?

Sooo excited! I'm definitely doing London next spring on our new nonstop! We had it several years ago, and I made use of it several times.
Yes, that slot is for DEN-LHR. UA is going back to 5 daily in Summer 2018.

Originally Posted by symphonicman
But can't you do the same double-redeye + early am arrival in Asia by flying via FRA or ZRH?

I can't find any *A carrier at Heathrow with destinations from NYC that a connection at LHR would really open up compared to connecting at their own hubs. A3? Nah, UA flies EWR-ATH. SK has nonstops from NYC airports to all their destinations from LHR except SVG, and that's quick via CPH.

AI to AMD via LHR is maybe the only route?
Moreover, flights from US connecting in FRA/MUC do not need to go through security again in FRA/MUC, you leave the plane airside post-security, which saves a lot of time compared to the security nonsense at LHR.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Lori_Q

That's exactly whats happening. The LHR slot is summer-seasonal and instead of operating essentially a wingtip flight on EWR-LHR, it will move to DEN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.