Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Email Offer: Win your share of 500,000 miles and get up to 100% bonus miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email Offer: Win your share of 500,000 miles and get up to 100% bonus miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
This is my situation. I'm roughly 9,000 miles short of a F award for TG. Is it worth the spend, or are there better ways to get the miles? No immediate rush, just want to spend miles before Nov. 1st change.
The current MP Explorer card signup bonus is best for getting additional miles, but if you only want/need 9,000 miles (relatively quickly) try this:

Make a dummy reward booking: try both a domestic and international routing.
Go into the reservation.
Click on Get extra miles.
You can also check any existing reservation(s) if you have them.

There should be a fairly low mileage amount offered. If the cost for the miles you need is less than the offer, purchase them this way.

But don't forget to cancel any dummy bookings within 24 hours!

SL
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
This is my situation. I'm roughly 9,000 miles short of a F award for TG. Is it worth the spend, or are there better ways to get the miles? No immediate rush, just want to spend miles before Nov. 1st change.
The good bonuses don't kick in until you hit the 50K mark (100% bonus -- buy 50K, receive 100K). There's much less value at the low end of the scale -- it's $301 (including tax) to buy 8K miles + 2K bonus miles, or 3.01 cents per mile.

As another person noted, you should be able to get a better price than this on an Award Accelerator purchase. Furthermore, those prices are likely to be about the same in October as they are now, so you can wait and see how many more miles your travel earns you in the interim -- perhaps you'll need to make an unexpected trip and end up earning the miles organically.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:57 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by altbg
This seems like a good offer to me, or is it not? (Assuming one can redeem those miles at a higher rate.)
I recently booked a saver economy CLE-EWR-LHR-DUB-EWR/LGA-CLE for 70,000 award miles + $99.86. The same ticket paid with dollars would have cost $3,045.52. That's a value of 4.2˘/mile.

RNE, agreeing with you; this seems like a good offer.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Don't use a outer envelope
or go to a post office, have them postmark the postcard and then place it in the envelope.
This confuses me even more
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by RNE
If you purchase MP miles via this offer, it appears the charge will post to Points company, not United Airlines. If so, using a MP credit card won't yield more than 1 mile/dollar.
I got 2x mile/dollar on the Pres Plus Card w/ this offer.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:58 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stanj
I got 2x mile/dollar on the Pres Plus Card w/ this offer.
Interesting. Please copy and paste the transaction details (redact any sensitive info, of course). I'd like to see how it coded.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by RNE
Interesting. Please copy and paste the transaction details (redact any sensitive info, of course). I'd like to see how it coded.
IIRC, I've always rec'd 2x miles on these types of purchases.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
united miles.pdf (53.8 KB, 63 views)
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:52 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stanj
IIRC, I've always rec'd 2x miles on these types of purchases.
Excellent. Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SunLover
The current MP Explorer card signup bonus is best for getting additional miles, but if you only want/need 9,000 miles (relatively quickly) try this:

Make a dummy reward booking: try both a domestic and international routing.
Go into the reservation.
Click on Get extra miles.
You can also check any existing reservation(s) if you have them.

There should be a fairly low mileage amount offered. If the cost for the miles you need is less than the offer, purchase them this way.

But don't forget to cancel any dummy bookings within 24 hours!

SL
Really? Didn't even know that was possible!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.