Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Did United ever cause the death/injury/missing of cats? (serious replies only please)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did United ever cause the death/injury/missing of cats? (serious replies only please)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

Did United ever cause the death/injury/missing of cats?

(serious replies only please)

I tried searching on Flyertalk, but the search function does not allow searching with short words like "cat"....

I'm trying to reassure my 19-year-old niece who is bringing her 14-year-old cat on two United flights this weekend.(3-hour + 5-hour)

She is freaking out because of all the negative United news in the last few days regarding dogs onboard. I told her that I've never heard of any cat news involving United Airlines(or any other airline), at least not on Flyertalk.

Last edited by geometry; Mar 14, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I do have a funny story about one of our cats.

When we moved to Vancouver, we left our cats (Boris and Natasha) with our son for a few days while we drove up. We knew they'd never be able to handle the long drive cooped up in carriers. He then drove them to the airport to fly up on Skywest. When we were checking on flight status, we were told the flight was delayed due to a mysterious noise on the plane. Well, it turned out the noise was dear Nathasha crying in the hold!

After they safely got to YVR, it seems that Natasha also managed to escape her cage and got loose in the cargo facililty. Luckily, they managed to corral her before we got to the airport to pick them up. In the end, everyone was safe and happy.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 14, 2018 at 8:56 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by geometry
Did United ever cause the death/injury/missing of cats?

(serious replies only please)

I tried searching on Flyertalk, but the search function does not allow searching with short words like "cat"....

I'm trying to reassure my 19-year-old niece who is bringing her 14-year-old cat on two United flights this weekend.(3-hour + 5-hour)

She is freaking out because of all the negative United news in the last few days regarding dogs onboard. I told her that I've never heard of any cat news involving United Airlines(or any other airline), at least not on Flyertalk.
You don't hear about the thousands of stories where people bring their pets safely, only the few where things go wrong.

With that said, I've brought my own cat on board UA many, many times with no issue whatsoever.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
About a year ago: Among the four deaths on United flights in January, a Jan. 28 incident involving Hope, a 9-year-old cat, was suspected as heart failure, according to the department.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by geometry
If you put a three-letter word in quotes (ex. '"cat"'), the search should work. That said, you could also search on Google and put "site:flyertalk.com".
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
All I can say is that I drove my daughter’s cat from DEN to OKC because he had never flown and I had no idea how he would take it so I drove him back. He was my responsibility until I got him back to her(she had been TDY for the USAF).

Reading current stories it seems I probably should have blamed anyone or thing else if I had flown with him and something happened.
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Flight attendants would never tolerate such atrocities...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:59 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
If you put a three-letter word in quotes (ex. '"cat"'), the search should work. That said, you could also search on Google and put "site:flyertalk.com".
Additional tweak - you can put site:flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/ to limit your google results to the UA MP forum.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:13 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
You don't hear about the thousands of stories where people bring their pets safely, only the few where things go wrong.

With that said, I've brought my own cat on board UA many, many times with no issue whatsoever.
So why is UA getting all the spotlight?

I've flown UA, DL, AA, AS, AC, HU, CA, MU, HA, BU, you know who brings up the end for both GA and FA, it is strange. I'm trying to reconcile if I have a bias or it really is an unbiased observation from my so many hours/days on airplanes.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:52 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Our two cats tolerated well trips from EWR->TPA and return several times nicely. About 3-3/12 hours on the plane. Most of the time, they just curled up and slept in their carriers. First Class give more room for a larger carrier (or cat )
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
As long as the cat is in the passenger compartment, I think your family will be fine. The recent death was due to a dog being put into the overhead bin because of a bad FA. Nobody will be making that mistake on United for a while!

If transporting in the hold in a kennel, then there's risk - United is 9x worse than the other airlines in that regard (2.4 incidents per 10k, everyone else is 0.26 or less).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Gig103
As long as the cat is in the passenger compartment, I think your family will be fine. The recent death was due to a dog being put into the overhead bin because of a bad FA. Nobody will be making that mistake on United for a while!

If transporting in the hold in a kennel, then there's risk - United is 9x worse than the other airlines in that regard (2.4 incidents per 10k, everyone else is 0.26 or less).
Is this per 10k pets transported? I'd love to see the full list if you have a link to it.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chermorg
I'd love to see the full list if you have a link to it.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29524672-post25.html (Page 58 of https://www.transportation.gov/sites...uaryatcr_0.pdf)
Gig103 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I have had a cat transported JFK-DEN and then later DEN-SFO. No problems. He wasn't happy about being in cargohold, but he was fine.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I think the biggest risk in flying with a cat is when you take it out of the carrier and carry it through security. Some cats are NOT happy about that and will express their displeasure in no uncertain terms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.