Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

W fare class not available - RT flight SFO to Europe in December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

When I try to use the 'Advanced Search' to look specifically for 'W' fare class (40 PlusPoint upgrade), I do not get the 'Requested Fare Class' column across any of the flight options. I called in to the United 1-800 number, and for whatever reason they say you can't price this route in W - across any of the flight combos?

It is a regular round-trip route, so I am surprised, and is no different than how I have booked in the past. Is there a special rule around W fare class only opening within X days of travel that I may be overlooking? Thanks for any tips!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nygiants242
When I try to use the 'Advanced Search' to look specifically for 'W' fare class (40 PlusPoint upgrade), I do not get the 'Requested Fare Class' column across any of the flight options. I called in to the United 1-800 number, and for whatever reason they say you can't price this route in W - across any of the flight combos?

It is a regular round-trip route, so I am surprised, and is no different than how I have booked in the past. Is there a special rule around W fare class only opening within X days of travel that I may be overlooking? Thanks for any tips!
1 - Is PZ space open at the moment? If not, you may be paying extra just to sit in Economy anyway.
2 - UA does not file a fare in every fare class in every market. Search for W, V, Q, H, U, E, M, B, Y to get every fare that can be upgraded for 40 PlusPoints.
3 - It's possible that all W fares expired prior to your travel date and haven't been extended / renewed, although it's unlikely.

If you care to post your itinerary and travel dates, you'll get more specific answers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Does the flight have W-class available?

The lowest fare class for my x-mas flights back from Europe was Q-class. Simply no lower fare filed.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
In addition to holiday timing, the period is far enough United may not have any discount/deep discount fares filed yet. United has no incentives to discount flights 9 months from today. If you need to secure tickets now, you are not flexible, inflexible dates favor the house (airlines).
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not just xmas - for spring and summer many TATL routes UA isn't opening below a Q.
Aussienarelle and narvik like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:58 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Well they did last year (2023) for Summer 2024 as I got some great deals, as I look and book quite a great deal in advance and I know United gets my money but I love a good deal and for a while fares kept decreasing so I kept repricing. Noticed fares have gone way up for Summer.

I have been looking at TPAC for December and prices are ridiculous this year. I keep looking....
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cfischer
Does the flight have W-class available?

The lowest fare class for my x-mas flights back from Europe was Q-class. Simply no lower fare filed.
That doesn't surprise me for flights to Europe in December. Christmas markets, etc. In January the prices usually drop.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
That doesn't surprise me for flights to Europe in December. Christmas markets, etc. In January the prices usually drop.

Yeah, no surprise. Booked P outbound and Q return since PZ was available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.