Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by kmersh
employees were able to interpret the instructions on their own.
This is increasingly the SOP for United. Policy is just a suggestion, and employees are free to make up their own interpretation as they go - as long as it benefits United and not the flyer.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tcp1
This is increasingly the SOP for United. Policy is just a suggestion, and employees are free to make up their own interpretation as they go - as long as it benefits United and not the flyer.
I think this is a bit of an overstatement. I think the vast majority of UA employees are doing their job. Some are exemplary, some are the opposite. It's the latter that make the news (and discussion boards). I'd guess 95%+ don't become topics of discussion.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spoke with my Father last night and he said filing a complaint with the DOT (he didn't care if it is a time consuming process or not) is more effort than it is worth for the small amount of money he paid, he would be happy just to get his money back.
While I understand this point of view, the DOT filing process is painless, and he may well get an apology e-cert from United in addition to the refund. Furthermore, the more complaints the DOT receives, the more likely UA is to fix this mess.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:09 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe
United explicitly says at least twice during the booking process that you will not be seated with companions (it's possible you will, but YMMV based on seats left at the time of check in, and that's the wording UA uses). Once, you specifically need to check a box, then click ok that you accept the terms that include this. It's impossible to miss. Yes, if you are traveling with children, it's not the right fare option due to the seating issue. But yes, some folks will completely ignore the restrictions because they see a lower fare, then complain later.

Bet this person also shows up with a full size carry on expecting to board with it.
Originally Posted by JBord
I think the combination of the BE rollout and some of the recent news stories (some fair, some unfair) about customers bringing lawsuits against UA has probably emboldened a certain segment of the population...either thinking the rules will be broken for them or, likely a smaller group and not this woman, that they will get a nice payday.
Originally Posted by SS255
UA should prohibit the sale of BE for itineraries with small children. It's better to simply disable the functionality than to feed the sense of entitlement in customers that they can buy these fares and then expect to be accommodated at the gate or on board.
To be honest, I saw it as someone knowingly booking the cheap fare and expecting the requirements to be waived for them and their children. Out of curiosity I did a dummy booking for an adult with two small children and a big screen pops up and warns you not to book it if you have a group or small children and need to sit together. Surprisingly clear. I guess it is just someone trying to game the system.

I agree that BE should be disabled automatically when a child is entered (and an option to disable it for elites).
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pat89339
To be honest, I saw it as someone knowingly booking the cheap fare and expecting the requirements to be waived for them and their children. Out of curiosity I did a dummy booking for an adult with two small children and a big screen pops up and warns you not to book it if you have a group or small children and need to sit together. Surprisingly clear. I guess it is just someone trying to game the system.

I agree that BE should be disabled automatically when a child is entered (and an option to disable it for elites).
Yeah, over on StackOverflow (a very good Q&A site, it started out being about programming but now they have a bunch of non-programming categories also) there was a woman asking if she booked BE they wouldn't really separate her from her children, would they??
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, over on StackOverflow (a very good Q&A site, it started out being about programming but now they have a bunch of non-programming categories also) there was a woman asking if she booked BE they wouldn't really separate her from her children, would they??
I haven't looked over on Cruise Critic but I guarantee there are people advising parents to "just book the cheaper fare. Even if you don't get seats assigned together, someone will switch with you."
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I wonder if and how this becomes an IDB situation. If you're exempt from the carry-on fee, yet they demand it and you refuse (or have the inability to pay), I'd imagine UA is on the hook for incorrectly refusing boarding.
Originally Posted by findark
I laugh, but it's bound to happen.. and you're probably right. I think it would be IDB eligible under the same logic if you were denied boarding for that (especially if you are actually unable to pay).
IDB compensation applies if and only if there is an oversale. I guess it's theoretically possible that if a flight happened to be oversold AND you were denied boarding because of a misunderstanding of the rules you could conceivably claim IDB compensation, but that's a bit of a stretch. There are plenty of arguments for United violating other parts of the DOT regs, but IDB regs aren't the solution here.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It continues to amaze me how many people feel they're simply exempt from the rules or that others will sacrifice inconveniences for their sake (I.e. oh well someone will switch with me.) Parents with small children seem especially prone to this line of thinking.

Edit: in that StackOverflow thread I found a snippet from a law passed on July 15, 2016 - "America's Small Business Tax Relief Act of 2015".. How could this affect BE?

(d) Family Seating.--Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall review and, if appropriate, establish a policy directing all air carriers to ensure that, if a family is traveling on a reservation with a child under the age of 13, that child is able to sit in a seat adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family member over the age of 13, to the maximum extent practicable, at no additional cost.

Last edited by tcp1; Jun 29, 2017 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
One could interpret that ruling as "We have no contiguous seats on this flight but we do have contiguous seats on the next flight 6 hours from now". IMHO it is not practicable to force everyone else to play musical chairs so that someone else can save forty bucks.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
One could interpret that ruling as "We have no contiguous seats on this flight but we do have contiguous seats on the next flight 6 hours from now". IMHO it is not practicable to force everyone else to play musical chairs so that someone else can save forty bucks.
Eventually they'll figure out that the correct answer is to block the last two rows of the aircraft and have the GA assign families on BE tickets there.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Essentially, it seems that was what my Father experienced was a poorly communicated instruction that should have been made abundantly clear, but for whatever reason was not and employees were able to interpret the instructions on their own.
This. It seems the internal communications on BE luggage restrictions were communicated very poorly. It almost seems like they assume the employees are idiots, and tried to dumb down the instructions as much as possible, losing the actual meaning and intent in doing so.

I imagine the thought process was something like "Gee, saying that 'people who have a BE ticket and are assigned to boarding group 5 can't have a carry-on' is an awfully complicated instruction. Why don't we just say 'people with boarding group 5,' that seems simple enough for our employees! No way this could possibly go wrong...."
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Apologies if this has been answered, don't see it when I search the thread, but do BE passengers who luck into E+ also get complimentary meals as part of "Premium Transcontinental Economy Plus" or are the FAs supposed to sort out who deserves a meal and who doesn't? Or are they not selling BE on those flights?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by findark
Eventually they'll figure out that the correct answer is to block the last two rows of the aircraft and have the GA assign families on BE tickets there.
But then that will screw over people who did not purchase Y, yet are not allowed into Y+ (no elite status, late booking, etc...). If they do that, then they are kicking the can down the jetway.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fgirard
But then that will screw over people who did not purchase Y, yet are not allowed into Y+ (no elite status, late booking, etc...). If they do that, then they are kicking the can down the jetway.
How so? It seems like a good idea to me. I think very few people willingly select those seats, so blocking them doesn't seem like it would curtail availability of better seats for the demographics you mention.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
How so? It seems like a good idea to me. I think very few people willingly select those seats, so blocking them doesn't seem like it would curtail availability of better seats for the demographics you mention.
This needs to be done, and then the seats can be unlocked if it becomes clear there won't be that many BE passengers. To alleviate for that loss of regular Y seats, open E+ to *Golds, so they move up and open up space for others. Additionally, a group of deserving people will finally get a chance to sit in E+, instead of non-rev standbys and BE customers as we're hearing is happening right now. 2 problems fixed at once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.