Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
I have a booking experience: My corporate travel site, Concur, bought a Basic Economy fare for me, even though the fare codes were Q on the outbound and E on the return. Imagine my shock and horror when I went to my account at United.com and found BASIC ECONOMY in big letters, and information about my inability to select a seat, change/cancel, or even bring a carry-on without a fee -- and no redemption/elite-qualifying/lifetime miles.
Interesting, thanks for sharing the experience.

There are some in the other thread who confidently state this will never happen to a business traveler. Obviously wrong.

The insane thing about UA's strategy here is that on certain competitive routes (I'm thinking intra-California), UA's E, U, H, and Q fares match up directly with competing WN fares. So when you price these fares as non-BE, the UA ticket will be more expensive than the equivalent WN ticket. Resulting in some business travelers being required to book WN over UA.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
...it looks mostly like what they've done is put in writing what your experience is going to be and give a little discount on top of it...
Well, that's the perception. In reality, UA has not discounted those fares - they've just made their cheapest, already-existing, fares BE. UA's just made it a little more expensive for those who want to travel as they did before.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
I believe the fare codes (or fare basis, per emcampbe's point) on Concur showed Q and E, but the actual booked fare at the bottom of the screen said N (Basic Economy).

Yes, I'm aware that's the point of the thread. This seems like a relevant tangent, so I hope you'll pardon the digression. I'll watch for airport POV starting tomorrow and report back.
@Lori. Your question makes sense as it relates to a ticketing surprise experience with BE. I wasn't calling you out at all. I was responding to the poster who asked what the point of this thread was.

I do hope to stay away from in-depth fare pricing as that is what the other BE thread seems to have honed in on.

@chrisl137. Good observation around how BG5 already doesn't have a wonderful experience. I still expect there to be some pushback around families/groups who go to GA agent and ask for seats to be moved and only to be told "sorry you purchased BE".

The difference on bags today is that if BG5 doesn't have overhead space, they gate check the bags for free. If implemented according to the terms of the fare, BE passengers would have to pay for a large carry on to be gate checked.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have a booking experience: My corporate travel site, Concur, bought a Basic Economy fare for me, even though the fare codes were Q on the outbound and E on the return. Imagine my shock and horror when I went to my account at United.com and found BASIC ECONOMY in big letters, and information about my inability to select a seat, change/cancel, or even bring a carry-on without a fee -- and no redemption/elite-qualifying/lifetime miles. I went straight back to my corporate travel agency and had them void the ticket. The agent was able to find an in-policy fare on the same flights for only $23 more.

The appearance of Basic Economy has caused a big hassle for me because, instead of using our online booking tool, I'll probably have to call our travel agency and have a human agent book my tickets to get around Basic Economy. The agency charges a service fee for phone bookings, and the contortions I usually take to stay off of other airlines will be exposed to scrutiny.
As a UA MM (i.e., someone with elite status) you can bring a full size carry on.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...c-economy.aspx

"You're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member. Everyone else who brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge."

And no one can actually bring a carry-on *with* a fee. It will go into the hold, i.e., become a checked bag. You can't pay a fee for access to the overhead bin.

Regarding "no redemption [...] miles", BE fares do earn redeemable miles.

It's somewhat interesting that there is still so much confusion about BE fare details.

You might want to ask your travel department if they would consider configuring Concur to filter out BE fares.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfpdx
The difference on bags today is that if BG5 doesn't have overhead space, they gate check the bags for free. If implemented according to the terms of the fare, BE passengers would have to pay for a large carry on to be gate checked.
The couple of people who have posted anecdotal experiences on this thread (thank you!) have stated that people aren't showing up at the gate with carry-on bags.

Perhaps the changes go all the way to the check-in process? I imagine UA has a statement that says "No carry-on bags allowed" during the check-in process. Now, that doesn't stop people from ignoring the warning and trying to argue that their roll-aboard is "personal," but it might account for the lack of boarding drama that's been reported so far.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The couple of people who have posted anecdotal experiences on this thread (thank you!) have stated that people aren't showing up at the gate with carry-on bags.

Perhaps the changes go all the way to the check-in process? I imagine UA has a statement that says "No carry-on bags allowed" during the check-in process. Now, that doesn't stop people from ignoring the warning and trying to argue that their roll-aboard is "personal," but it might account for the lack of boarding drama that's been reported so far.
Or perhaps as part of the test rollout at MSP, UA isn't enforcing the checked bag charge yet? If not, it would be just a normal boarding where GA's routinely announce there won't be space for carry-ons in groups 4 or 5 and please bring your bag to be checked.

The point I expect the problem to occur, if it does, is when the passenger is informed they're going to have to pay $50 for each domestic checked bag.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, that's the perception. In reality, UA has not discounted those fares - they've just made their cheapest, already-existing, fares BE. UA's just made it a little more expensive for those who want to travel as they did before.
I was speaking from the claims - I don't plan on booking any BE fares and don't want to get firsthand experience with it!
Old May 3, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
As a UA MM (i.e., someone with elite status) you can bring a full size carry on.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...c-economy.aspx

"You're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member. Everyone else who brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge."

And no one can actually bring a carry-on *with* a fee. It will go into the hold, i.e., become a checked bag. You can't pay a fee for access to the overhead bin.

Regarding "no redemption [...] miles", BE fares do earn redeemable miles.

It's somewhat interesting that there is still so much confusion about BE fare details.

You might want to ask your travel department if they would consider configuring Concur to filter out BE fares.

I had forgotten about the status or CC bag loop-hole.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver
The appearance of Basic Economy has caused a big hassle for me because, instead of using our online booking tool, I'll probably have to call our travel agency and have a human agent book my tickets to get around Basic Economy. The agency charges a service fee for phone bookings, and the contortions I usually take to stay off of other airlines will be exposed to scrutiny.
I'm in the same boat. My clients have been willing to spend a little extra for my flights because they know that the benefits matter to me. But, now, do you think I'm going to go to them and ask them to spend even more? Not quite. I would rather take what they give me and look like a more cooperative person.

It's been said before, but, the BE prices aren't any better than the competition, the experience has just become worse.

Time to find a new airline.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
I have a booking experience: My corporate travel site, Concur, bought a Basic Economy fare for me, even though the fare codes were Q on the outbound and E on the return. Imagine my shock and horror when I went to my account at United.com and found BASIC ECONOMY in big letters, and information about my inability to select a seat, change/cancel, or even bring a carry-on without a fee -- and no redemption/elite-qualifying/lifetime miles. I went straight back to my corporate travel agency and had them void the ticket. The agent was able to find an in-policy fare on the same flights for only $23 more.

I absolutely will not buy United Basic Economy tickets, EVER. If United takes away so many perks in exchange for such a small drop in fare, I'd rather fly Southwest, which now has a big presence in Denver.

Here here. Also a DEN flyer and WN is my only real alternative (well that and Frontier, but I'd rather take a bus..). BE has gotten me rather nervous. Not for myself, since I'm my own travel department and would never ever book BE - but boarding and seat poaching at DEN is enough of a show that I can't imagine how BE is going to affect things.. DEN is also heavily split into leisure / business travelers - so I could see lots of BE problems... Occasional flyers who don't understand the restrictions, and irate business travelers stuck with the cheapest ticket.

If it's gonna be a cattle call, at least WN has that down to a science now.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
So interesting observation today.

Boarding DEN-IAD right now and they flat out announced that ANYONE in group 5 is only allowed a personal item.

Not sure if this is just for the full flight, or in prep for BE?

People with carry-ons in 5 are currently balking. I see about 5-6 folks with rollaboards shaking their heads.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
BE At The Gate

Originally Posted by tcp1
So interesting observation today.

Boarding DEN-IAD right now and they flat out announced that ANYONE in group 5 is only allowed a personal item.

Not sure if this is just for the full flight, or in prep for BE?

People with carry-ons in 5 are currently balking. I see about 5-6 folks with rollaboards shaking their heads.

Same Friday PM ORD-BDL, "If you are in Group 5, and you have anything more than 1 personal item, bring it to the desk to be checked".

No idea if there was a charge associated with the Gate check.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Any observations of how far apart individuals traveling on the same reservation tend to be seated in BE so far?

I'm thinking seriously about taking BE in exchange for a $30/person discount in each direction, BOS-LAX. With *G status, the confirmed seats and unofficial SDC option are the only benefits to lose. In the worst case, I would obviously hope that somebody could be persuaded to swap seats for less than the premium they are charging for an "economy (lowest)" fare, though the wording of the warning email after purchase seemed to indicate that they would actively ensure that families are fully separated on the plane regardless of seat availability.

Is UA's algorithm really separating BE customers out to the four corners of the cabin rather than the "no promises, but if there is space we'll try to accommodate you" approach that AFAIK seems to exist in practice at LCCs such as Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier?
Old May 14, 2017, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
Any observations of how far apart individuals traveling on the same reservation tend to be seated in BE so far? ...
There is limited experience among posters on BE -- it is new and many are actively avoiding.
... Is UA's algorithm really separating BE customers out to the four corners of the cabin rather than the "no promises, but if there is space we'll try to accommodate you" approach that AFAIK seems to exist in practice at LCCs such as Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier?
There is no particular reason for UA to deliberately try to separate folks and create more on aircraft issues. Suspect UA will try to keep folks together but no guarantees and good chances large groups will have a greater issue than smaller groups.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Any observations of how far apart individuals traveling on the same reservation tend to be seated in BE so far?

I'm thinking seriously about taking BE in exchange for a $30/person discount in each direction, BOS-LAX. With *G status, the confirmed seats and unofficial SDC option are the only benefits to lose. In the worst case, I would obviously hope that somebody could be persuaded to swap seats for less than the premium they are charging for an "economy (lowest)" fare, though the wording of the warning email after purchase seemed to indicate that they would actively ensure that families are fully separated on the plane regardless of seat availability.

Is UA's algorithm really separating BE customers out to the four corners of the cabin rather than the "no promises, but if there is space we'll try to accommodate you" approach that AFAIK seems to exist in practice at LCCs such as Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier?
the seating note basically says they can't ensure you'll sit together. That's all it is. I've been on enough flights where all that's left is middle seats, sometimes scattered over various rows, at T-24 and even before. Of course, BE wasn't available on those flights - who knows how many people take the option and therefore how many seats remain empty until BE folks check in.

I take it as, don't expect to be sitting together (but it's possible you will). I doubt they are actively programming the algorithm to seperate families, but Recognizing the fact that on many flights, you aren't going to have seats next to each other to be assigned into. Also, a way to warn families in a strong enough way that if you value sitting together, then hey, don't buy this fare. It's always possible folks can try and arrange seat exchanges onboard - but again, not something Inwoild count on.

Also unknown is whether an agent can actually change the seat assignment of those in BE if they want to and something better (within E-) opens up, of if the computer actually doesn't allow one to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.