Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, after reading many of the posts... (UA pilot post)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, after reading many of the posts... (UA pilot post)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
You have to take FT for what it is and some the posting public accordingly- with a bourbon in one hand and a beer chaser in the other.

Some situations are no win. UA has had more than their share recently.

There is a silent majority (or at least a silent minority).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
It would be nice to have UA gate agents or flight attendants on this board,
There are in fact a few UA FAs and GAs here on FT who post somewhat regularly.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 757FO
And to those who refer to the traveling public who don't fly often as kettles, come on, if you were so damn important, you would be flying private aviation, not pontificating over how important you are because you fly more often than someone else, and complaining you didn't get a PDB on a flight.
"Kettles" has nothing to do with importance. Rather, it's a description of somebody who knows little of what they are doing in flying. The people that I end up helping with the customs form (probably 1 flight in 3--I married a foreigner, most trips are international) despite it being in their language are kettles.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
I agree with the OP 100%. While I fly relatively often for business/pleasure, my wife used to work as a FA and I know what the 'other side' has to go through first hand.

For me, my no. 1 priority is getting me to my destination in one piece. Whether that involves x hours delay, involuntarily bumping me due to weight distribution issues, or cancelling a flight altogether I care not. In-flight service etc. while appreciated immensely is not something that is "make or break" for me that I would create a scene over or complain.

No ice in my orange juice? I'll survive. FA didn't spread butter on my 95-year old mother's bread roll? We'll survive. FAs ran out of trail mix a few rows before my row? Not losing any sleep. Flight delayed 3 hours due to weather and UA doesn't want to take any risks with safety? Amen.

My wife talked about the subpar pay. Having to be on stand-by, in some cases for 8-10 hours, only to get that last minute assignment at 5PM, being the last flight to arrive at the regional airport and it being 11PM by the time they check in at the hotel, only to have to get up at 4AM since they're the first flight out, having a pitiful hourly expense allowance that required her to buy a sandwich at the airport out of her own pocket. Add all the above and I'd like to see how many of you will be throwing perky smiles at 6AM.

Last edited by Manospeed; Apr 17, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by aacharya

We'll move on from this, as will the rest of the country.
No question about it! But how exactly, that remains to be seen ...

It never ceases to amaze me how in a country that was founded on the results of the Boston Tea Party so many do not see the historic parallels to a monopoly exploiting the people being backed by an oppressive government.

Is flying less important today than drinking tea was three centuries ago ?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmanirish
While some people do use the term kettle with disdain or implied negative connotation (from the whole Ma and Pa Kettle), it's really taken on its own meaning of 'inexperienced traveler' (as linked in the official glossary). If you replace kettle with 'inexperienced traveler' in your mind next time you see it, you'll see it's not usually used maliciously.
An "Elite" is somebody who flies because somebody else tells him to go somewhere. A "Kettle" is somebody who flies to get where he wants to go. An "Elite" worried about getting a free alcoholic drink in a plastic cup on the way to Des Moines. A "Kettle" drinks in a bar in Rio.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Kettle is tame- wait until the gate lice threads pop up around busy travel seasons 😂😂
Yes, but I think most gate lice are DYKWIA "Elites.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I would argue, safety is the most critical thing, and the most important thing to be excellent at.
I couldn't agree more, and I have always been impressed at how incredibly safe UA has been since 1991 Colorado Springs.

But, two things: the majors are ALL incredibly safe these days, so there just isn't the distinction between UA and the others in that specific category anymore.

And...in the category of simple care of passengers as human beings, UA is now far behind others in my opinion.

I'd like to fly UA more. I honestly, really would. It's a hub for me in Denver. But years of poor service, poor product like seats, poor IRROPS, and yes, poor news stories and PR, have taken their toll.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:01 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
And to those who refer to the traveling public who don't fly often as kettles, come on, if you were so damn important, you would be flying private aviation, not pontificating over how important you are because you fly more often than someone else, and complaining you didn't get a PDB on a flight.
I have never cared for the term ...[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by jmanirish
While some people do use the term kettle with disdain or implied negative connotation (from the whole Ma and Pa Kettle), it's really taken on its own meaning of 'inexperienced traveler' (as linked in the official glossary). If you replace kettle with 'inexperienced traveler' in your mind next time you see it, you'll see it's not usually used maliciously.
I never knew we had a glossary, what is in the glossary is the politically correct definition, but not the real definition IMO, to claim that the term kettle used on this board does not have a negative connotation associated with it strains credibility in my opinion.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to hear this! And I always make sure channel 9 is active when able.
That earns you one million kudo points, my friend.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
An "Elite" is somebody who flies because somebody else tells him to go somewhere. A "Kettle" is somebody who flies to get where he wants to go. An "Elite" worried about getting a free alcoholic drink in a plastic cup on the way to Des Moines. A "Kettle" drinks in a bar in Rio.
A Kettle drinks Kettel One, while an elite has to settle for Tito's!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I couldn't agree more, and I have always been impressed at how incredibly safe UA has been since 1991 Colorado Springs.

But, two things: the majors are ALL incredibly safe these days, so there just isn't the distinction between UA and the others in that specific category anymore.

And...in the category of simple care of passengers as human beings, UA is now far behind others in my opinion.

I'd like to fly UA more. I honestly, really would. It's a hub for me in Denver. But years of poor service, poor product like seats, poor IRROPS, and yes, poor news stories and PR, have taken their toll.
Completely agree with your sentiments.

UA is in service business and this nonsense of safety is the only thing that matters is non-sense. What UA staff needs to realize is that there is a choice in the airline and we will be avoiding UA moving forward. Let's see how far that takes them.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Manospeed
My wife talked about the subpar pay. Having to be on stand-by, in some cases for 8-10 hours, only to get that last minute assignment at 5PM, being the last flight to arrive at the regional airport and it being 11PM by the time they check in at the hotel, only to have to get up at 4AM since they're the first flight out, having a pitiful hourly expense allowance that required her to buy a sandwich at the airport out of her own pocket. Add all the above and I'd like to see how many of you will be throwing perky smiles at 6AM.
But that misses the point entirely, IMO.

If it's that atrocious to be in the FA/GA business...then why be in the FA/GA business?

And if the only answer those people can come up with is "because I can fly for free in my off time"...then the job simply isn't meant for them.

There are versions of crap in every job on the face of the planet. Yet, some people seem to be able to smile and not take it out on customers.

A progressive company will focus on hiring those people and weeding out those who are in it solely for some perceived perk, and those who think that if they have any sort of non-perfect day, they can take it out on those who pay for them to be there in the first place. @:-)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
I have never cared for the term ...

I never knew we had a glossary, what is in the glossary is the politically correct definition, but not the real definition IMO, to claim that the term kettle used on this board does not have a negative connotation associated with it strains credibility in my opinion.
That surprised me too; that "new" glossary is a bit dumbed down from the original.

The original lives on in FT Terms called out in the wiki (for which I contributed this several months ago):
  • Kettle(s): a term for a non-frequent flyer, generally used as a term of denigration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_and_Pa_Kettle
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Certainly everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity on any airlines flight, and I do appreciate the money passengers spend, however, after reading many of the posts on a number of the forums here, it makes me happy I'm locked behind a reinforced door, flying the plane, and not having to deal with many of the folks who post here.
Until this post, I had sympathy for the employees of United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.