FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1835638-man-pulled-off-overbooked-flight-ua3411-ord-sdf-9-apr-2017-settlement-reached.html)

LordHamster Apr 10, 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by skipmnyc (Post 28153668)
total BS. Paid passenger who needs to get to his destination is ASSAULTED for not "volunteering" his seat for a crew member. The airline should keep raising the offer until they get volunteers or find another solution for their crew issues. UA is going to get a PR sh**storm for this. And they deserve to get sued for it. FAIL.

Absolutely... While the airline has every right to remove a passenger from their plane for any reason, they chose to have a passenger assaulted rather than paying a bit more compensation to volunteers.

I hope the extra few hundred dollars they saved were worth the PR nightmare.

thesun Apr 10, 2017 6:43 am

Why in the world didn't they figure it out at the gate before boarding? Hoping for 4 no-shows? Pressure for an on-time departure figuring they could figure it out while boarding progressed? Could have been avoided by figuring it out before boarding. If they end up with less onboard than expected, they can still board one or more people selected for IDB.

Alot of outraged passengers over the guy being dragged off but at this point what is the crew & security supposed to do? Let the guy stay because he threw a hissy fit and pick a more compliant passenger? And clearly something not right with the guy they dragged off when he ran back onto the aircraft.

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 28153539)
The best offer I have witnessed was a $1000 from
SJC to Austin on WN. I had a meeting so could not take it, but when I arrived in Austin meeting was cancelled. The lucky guy who got it must have been loving life.

I got $700 to VDB on EWR-BWI. Flew EWR-DCA and was taxi'ed to BWI, ended up arriving an hour behind my original flight. Made my day :)

TonyBurr Apr 10, 2017 6:45 am

Originally Posted by getagb (Post 28153243)
The pax shouldn't have resisted the crew or police officers. Not fun to get kicked off a plane but he could've taken one of several later flights and gotten to SDF with a minor delay the same night. Instead he got arrested.

If there were several later flights as you say, why did UA also offer a hotel? Can you list what times the later flights departed since it would be as you say a minor delay ? If so, why didn't they just put the dead heading crew on those flights and save all this trouble?

JubJub Apr 10, 2017 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade (Post 28153486)
I would have been ticked to get pulled off but ORD-SDF is drivable (5.5 hours) if his obligations were truly "urgent".

Until you fall asleep on that overnight drive. This was the last flight that night.

UA should have moved its dead head crew earlier in the day. UA blew it on this one.

soonerborn Apr 10, 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by PATRLR (Post 28153632)
I'm wondering how they chose this guy. Why him? I wonder if he got on standby?

Can anyone shed some light on how they choose IDBs?

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...lle/100274374/

This article has some answers

Passengers were told at the gate that the flight was overbooked and United, offering $400 and a hotel stay, was looking for one volunteer to take another flight to Louisville at 3 p.m. Monday. Passengers were allowed to board the flight, Bridges said, and once the flight was filled those on the plane were told that four people needed to give up their seats to stand-by United employees that needed to be in Louisville on Monday for a flight. Passengers were told that the flight would not take off until the United crew had seats, Bridges said, and the offer was increased to $800, but no one volunteered.

Then, she said, a manager came aboard the plane and said a computer would select four people to be taken off the flight. One couple was selected first and left the airplane, she said, before the man in the video was confronted.

Originally Posted by purduephotog (Post 28153665)

I haven't been able to get cost-comparative United flights all year. I'm not sure I want to keep going like this-

I am having the same issue. I have tried to quit UA but up until the last 6 months or so, they have had the best prices for me.

NeedstoFly Apr 10, 2017 6:56 am

Originally Posted by getagb (Post 28153243)
The pax shouldn't have resisted the crew or police officers. Not fun to get kicked off a plane but he could've taken one of several later flights and gotten to SDF with a minor delay the same night. Instead he got arrested.

Ace victim blaming here.

EWR764 Apr 10, 2017 6:58 am

Disgraceful all around, but the police use of force is particularly disgusting, to me.

athome Apr 10, 2017 7:00 am

Sorry, I do not undestand some of the posts supporting the airline and the law enforcement officer.

In “civilized” countries of Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, … [you name it]) the law enforcement officer would go to prison, because of “exaggerated” violence and aggravated personal injury of the passenger.

In Europe (all of EU and associated countries) customers have the legal right to board a flight they are booked on and checked in. The airline has to increase the offer to whatever amount, to find a volunteer or find other means to bring the client to its destination with minimal impact on arrival time (e.g. chartering an additional aircraft).

And it works. Never seen such pictures from Europe.

nk15 Apr 10, 2017 7:04 am

This will be a very expensive lesson for UA, and maybe they will learn.

KevinDTW Apr 10, 2017 7:10 am

Maybe he was wearing leggings.

deniah Apr 10, 2017 7:15 am

90% of publicized airline CS gaffes and incidents I side with the airline.

The nonrev dress policy, delays, etc, and any other goofs that the uncleansed masses raise their pitchforks over.

This is just utterly inexcusable. If it's "an easy 5 hour drive" to destination, I suggest United hire a driver to make that trip. Ripping someone out of their seats because of refusal to VDB? and they wonder why they get a bad rap...... i expect nothing less than oscar to fly out to make a mea culpa on his knees to that pax....

Live4Upgrade Apr 10, 2017 7:17 am

Most rationale people would quickly comply when security showed up and sort it out as civilized humans. If he's a MD, he surely has been schooled in communicating.

Then again, others are looking for a payout from their 5 minutes of "fame".

UA screwed up in letting him Board. But, the passenger sounds like high maintenance to me.

toomanybooks Apr 10, 2017 7:19 am

Originally Posted by purduephotog (Post 28153665)
If (and I stress IF) the guy was a physician and attending the next morning, that should have stopped the process.

So a doctor has more priority than someone going to a wedding/graduation? Or to say goodbye to grandma in the hospital?

I think not.

My brother is a doctor. Sometimes seems I am the only person who doesn't kiss his @ss 24/7.

I would like to see what led up to the confrontation where they removed the guy. All I saw was the dragging part.

Oxnardjan Apr 10, 2017 7:21 am

Man, you beat me to it!

Something just isn't right here. This is so sad and needless to say, this was WRONG! This isn't the passengers fault, I don't care if he was a Physician or a Gardener, he was a human with a booked seat that he was sitting in. This all should have been sorted out BEFORE boarding the plane.
LACK OF PLANNING ON UNITED'S PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON A PASSENGERS PART. This is shameful.

Originally Posted by KevinDTW (Post 28153782)
Maybe he was wearing leggings.

toomanybooks Apr 10, 2017 7:22 am

Originally Posted by athome (Post 28153753)
Never seen such pictures from Europe.

We have, however, seen lots of other interesting pictures/videos from Europe lately.

No perfect solutions.