FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1835638-man-pulled-off-overbooked-flight-ua3411-ord-sdf-9-apr-2017-settlement-reached.html)

PushingTin Apr 10, 17 1:26 am

Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
 
http://www.courier-journal.com/story...lle/100274374/
I get annoying pop ups on my iPad.


https://mobile.twitter.com/Tyler_Bri...14160042106880

Overbooked and they have to pull people off the plane? What a horrible way to run things.

And he gets back on somehow?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Tyler_Bri...663552/video/1

Love to get the inside story on this.

BayAreaPilot Apr 10, 17 1:57 am

Definitely bad form for the gate agents to board passengers they may have to IDB, but the passenger should have gotten off the plane when asked. The FAA is not amused by passengers who fail to comply with crewmember instructions.

juergenor Apr 10, 17 2:15 am

Horrible
 
Horrible experience - I cannot understand that an airline is doing this in front of all the passengers - glad that videos made available.

United this year as far as I can tell is doing a horrible job - experienced mechanical breakdowns this and last week. I can only recommend United CEO and executives to pay close attention to a deteriorating performance in 2017.

DENviaLAX Apr 10, 17 2:19 am

Reading the article I'm a bit confused. It says they needed four people to give up their seats because the flight was overbooked. But it also says they needed the seats for a crew going to SDF to work a flight in the morning....then also called them standby. If they were going to work a flight, they wouldn't be standby, they'd be deadheading. The only thing that would make sense would be that something happened last minute with whatever crew was supposed to work whatever SDF flight Monday morning, and needed to get a replacement crew there on this flight. But that would also mean that the flight wasn't actually technically overbooked with revenue passengers, just that the best way to inconvenience the least amount of people was to bump four people off this flight and get the crew on vs have to cancel or severely delay flight out of SDF tomorrow. That's always a crappy situation, but ultimately makes sense to me.

I suppose it's extremely rare that an airline is unable to find volunteers out of 50+ people, especially given the high money offers. I personally didn't even know what the procedure was for involuntarily denying boarding, but I can definitely see how it can cause a lot of tension. Then again, the flight could've been just as easily canceled for any number of reasons, and the net result would've been the same (worse, technically) for that individual passenger, so I don't quite understand the extreme reaction on his part.

All that said, that video looks horrible. The security officer seemed to go way overboard on the amount of force acceptable in removing the man, who didn't even seem to be aggressive. And to me that is by far the worst part of the entire situation. Which really had nothing to do with United, as he's unaffiliated with them...but yet it'll just be another negative story attached to United's name.

1KHI Apr 10, 17 2:31 am

A complete embarrassment for United, let alone a doctor trying to see patients. They should just increase the offer if that's the case.

getagb Apr 10, 17 3:11 am

The pax shouldn't have resisted the crew or police officers. Not fun to get kicked off a plane but he could've taken one of several later flights and gotten to SDF with a minor delay the same night. Instead he got arrested.

wolf72 Apr 10, 17 3:21 am

Question. If the airline suddenly discovers it needs 4 seats for a crew set to be sent somewhere, and then ask passengers to give up those seats AFTER they have boarded, doesn't the aircraft then:

-get delayed as the baggage crews search for checked in luggage of the 4 passengers who gave up their seats?

-Delay the departure of the flight?

-Shouldn't the boarding agent hold the minimum 4 seats until 1 hour before flight, then knowing they don't need those 4 seats for emergencies and offering those 4 seats to standby passengers?

Question: if a flight is already full, is it expensive to charter a pvt jet to haul the over booked passengers and the deadhead crew to their destination and to avoid all the hassles and problems that would come their way once they start messing about with the 4 seat search?

Aussienarelle Apr 10, 17 4:00 am

This happened to me in January. Well not me refusing to get off the plane and the police getting involved.

I had a boarding pass (that had been issued in FRA) and was also on my app. Scan the BP to be told my F seat had been given to someone else as my flight was late but I made it to the gate before everyone else from my flight and they all got their seats. They asked if I was okay to sit in Y and I said yes. I just wanted to get home (this was the last leg SFO-SAN). Got on the plane, put my luggage in the overhead, sat in the my newly assigned seat 7A. Then they come back and say I need to get off the plane they do not have a seat for me and a standby passager was getting my seat. Back up the jet way and GA asked me why I refused the Y seat, and I said I did not refuse it and in fact sat in it for a few minutes until told I needed to get off the plane.

Wrote to UA who apologised and said they would look into the situation and get back to me. Of course they never did get back to me to explain or offer any compensation.

So do not know how and why it happened and I was upset as I just wanted to get home - i sympathize /understand the guy not wanting to give up his seat when he was already seated.

BTW - @wolf72, UA did not remove my luggage from the flight. My checked luggage was waiting for me in SAN when I arrived on a later flight. So they do not remove luggage in this situation (apparently).

wolf72 Apr 10, 17 4:08 am


Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 28153322)
This happened to me in January. Well not me refusing to get off the plane and the police getting involved.

I had a boarding pass (that had been issued in FRA) and was also on my app. Scan the BP to be told my F seat had been given to someone else as my flight was late but I made it to the gate before everyone else from my flight and they all got their seats. They asked if I was okay to sit in Y and I said yes. I just wanted to get home (this was the last leg SFO-SAN). Got on the plane, put my luggage in the overhead, sat in the my newly assigned seat 7A. Then they come back and say I need to get off the plane they do not have a seat for me and a standby passager was getting my seat. Back up the jet way and GA asked me why I refused the Y seat, and I said I did not refuse it and in fact sat in it for a few minutes until told I needed to get off the plane.

Wrote to UA who apologised and said they would look into the situation and get back to me. Of course they never did get back to me to explain or offer any compensation.

So do not know how and why it happened and I was upset as I just wanted to get home - i sympathize /understand the guy not wanting to give up his seat when he was already seated.

That's bad. But it show's they had no initiative to check if your flight had landed, despite being a little bit late, or not and to make sure your connection was not screwed up or anything.

This doesn't happen with asian airliners I fly with when I have connections so I wonder if it's a matter of people not doing their job or the system they use being an outdated system and them not being able to access information to keep them informed of your departure and arrival for the connecting flight.

Live4Upgrade Apr 10, 17 4:42 am

And now all the outbound flights from SDF this morning (Monday) are running a 1+ hours late due to "operational difficulties".

Bad form to let a passenger on the airplane then to remove them. Better would have been, offer $1000 bump, get volunteers and announce that the plane would be cancelled if nobody volunteers.

halls120 Apr 10, 17 4:47 am


Originally Posted by DENviaLAX (Post 28153157)
I suppose it's extremely rare that an airline is unable to find volunteers out of 50+ people, especially given the high money offers.

Not really. A few years ago I was in the UC at NRT, and the CSRs were vainly trying to solicit volunteers for downgrading from J to E+ for a 13 hour NRT-ORD flight. No one was taking that offer, no matter how high it got.

Diabeetus Apr 10, 17 5:25 am


Originally Posted by getagb (Post 28153243)
The pax shouldn't have resisted the crew or police officers. Not fun to get kicked off a plane but he could've taken one of several later flights and gotten to SDF with a minor delay the same night. Instead he got arrested.

Apparently the passenger was a physician and he needed to make home to see his patients at the hospital the next day.

Live4Upgrade Apr 10, 17 5:36 am


Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 28153463)
Apparently the passenger was a physician and he needed to make home to see his patients at the hospital the next day.

I would have been ticked to get pulled off but ORD-SDF is drivable (5.5 hours) if his obligations were truly "urgent".

planko Apr 10, 17 5:48 am


Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 28153463)
Apparently the passenger was a physician and he needed to make home to see his patients at the hospital the next day.

I think it would be more accurate the say "the passenger claimed he was a physician..."

No one has yet published his name, so there would be no way to verify this. If someone wanted to make himself sound important, this would certainly be a thing that they might say.

olouie Apr 10, 17 5:57 am


Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 28153404)
Not really. A few years ago I was in the UC at NRT, and the CSRs were vainly trying to solicit volunteers for downgrading from J to E+ for a 13 hour NRT-ORD flight. No one was taking that offer, no matter how high it got.

What was the highest the offers went? I would want a refund of the price different between J and E+ as well so it would have to be a pretty high offer.

The best offer I have witnessed was a $1000 from SJC to Austin on WN. I had a meeting so could not take it, but when I arrived in Austin meeting was cancelled. The lucky guy who got it must have been loving life.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:41 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.