Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inclusiveness of Premier Access?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA
STL

I don't know if STL is considered an outstation or not. It rarely sees a mainline flight, but it does have a handful of gates and flights to several hubs.

Last time checking in there, they only had a small roped line for a single kiosk for Premier, barely longer than the rug. The remaining 4 or so kiosks had no roped lines at all, just an open free-for-all area. No problem at the time, just a couple of pax there.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Which isn’t any help at all, considering there are Kiosks at the Economy lanes...
The UA check in process (even for Premiers) for those who don't require any special handling, is to check in at the kiosk, indicate the number of bags checking (and pay any applicable fee) and then the printer will spit out your tag(s) and an agent will stick a Priority tag on it (if applicable) and then verify your ID to the printed tag. Most of the time you start by checking in at the kiosk.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ElanSchwartz
The UA check in process (even for Premiers) for those who don't require any special handling, is to check in at the kiosk, indicate the number of bags checking (and pay any applicable fee) and then the printer will spit out your tag(s) and an agent will stick a Priority tag on it (if applicable) and then verify your ID to the printed tag. Most of the time you start by checking in at the kiosk.
Although at IAD, for example, the kiosk are inside the roping for the premier (or 1K/Polaris) area. Surely the workflow isn't to go to a kiosk in the front area, then proceed to the back area just to check your bag. (And, frequently in my case, have passport and/or visa verified)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ElanSchwartz
Seeing their bags get tagged without the orange priority tag, or looking at their boarding pass and not seeing any indication of Premier Access.
It is important to note that just because their bags aren't being tagged as priority, does not necessarily mean they do not have Premier Access benefits. If you purchase Premier Access you're entitled to check in via the Premier line, however your bag will not be tagged as priority.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:58 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Is this one of the rarest of things, something that EWR wins at? We get an entire floor for Premier checkin. Same kiosks first approach, but they back onto the luggage belts so a step better than the kettles downstairs.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JLiebo92
...If you purchase Premier Access you're entitled to check in via the Premier line, however your bag will not be tagged as priority.
Good point, however, I'd consider this rare. I don't think many general flyers are purchasing Premier Access.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't the MP explorer chase cc give you premier access? Or only group 2 boarding? The number of cc holders has exploded over the years.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Doesn't the MP explorer chase cc give you premier access? Or only group 2 boarding? The number of cc holders has exploded over the years.
Just group 2.

Source: Have the CC and no status, so wait in the long line at EWR.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Would love to see this enforced and acted upon more. Especially at smaller outstations. Or at least folks standing at the Premier kiosk acknowledged and not ignored for the regular line.

MKE and VPS are my two most recent examples.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
The Chase MP Club card gives you Premier Access. Best part was before I had status I'd even get Premier Access if a client paid for the flight.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Artpen100
IAD has a separate premier/business/first check in area that is behind the regular check in area, and usually has someone manning the entry point (though I usually just say "business" and they let me by). It is very fast, and a good perk. Interestingly, the GS check in is in the front next to the economy check in. But I rarely see anyone at it as I walk by.
My kids are traveling back to college from IAD tomorrow and I’m helping them check in with a bunch of luggage. Has anyone tried using their 1K card to get family members into the premier check in area when they are not themselves traveling?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL

My kids are traveling back to college from IAD tomorrow and I’m helping them check in with a bunch of luggage. Has anyone tried using their 1K card to get family members into the premier check in area when they are not themselves traveling?
don't do this. you wouldn't want to wait longer in line behind someone who doesn't belong there.

if their amount of baggage is an actual concern, use an RPU so that they're in F and have legitimate premier access.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
You probably didn’t know this, but RPUs cannot be used with award tickets.

Personally, I never see a line at the IAD premier check in.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
You probably didn’t know this, but RPUs cannot be used with award tickets.

Personally, I never see a line at the IAD premier check in.
Unless you're GS of course. 😉
villox likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:24 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptKornDog
Would love to see this enforced and acted upon more. Especially at smaller outstations. Or at least folks standing at the Premier kiosk acknowledged and not ignored for the regular line.
This.

I have been to several small outstations where they have a separate line at check-in, but the agents keep pulling from the regular line and ignore the premier one (really annoying when it's flagged 1K/Polaris, and they are plucking pax after pax from the general line, too).

UA is not alone in having issues with this, of course. I've run into it on LH when they actually switched the desk to general while we were still in the *G/Business line, and wave for pax from the general line to come over. If I hadn't already been in line for 2 hours and resigned myself to being stuck in line hell forever, I would have lost it on that occasion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.