Originally Posted by seat38a
By your logic, then:

Ontario International Airport
San Bernardino International Airport
Palm Springs International Airport
Fresno Yosemite International Airport
Sacramento International Airport
Calexico International Airport

should all have 24 hour CBP on hand just because they are international airport???
My home airport is San Diego "International" Airport. At all times when I have been on an international flight that lands at SAN, CBP have been there and I am assuming it is the same at the US "International" airports you have listed. In fairness, in support of your comment, I do not expect there to be CBP 24/7 as international flights are not landing at all times. My point is if the "international" flight is permitted to land then there should be CBP to deal with the pax, else do not allow the international flights to land.

Like the OP, there are too many times I am the last pax to board the flight even though it is before the final boarding time indicated on the BP, and have been told they have been getting ready to take my checked luggage off the flight. I question if I am within time stated on the BP to be told I should not concern myself with that as they want an early departure. So to meet the metrics of "on-time" departure UA leave early and then we sit at the other end waiting for CBP, a gate, etc. since we arrived early - so again great metric of early arrival but they should be measuring pax dissatisfaction of having to sit on the plane at the other end.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
ORD Terminal 5 has 24 hours CBP. One time in early 2016 my BA plane from LHR landed around 2:00 AM and CBP personnel were there expecting us.
I have also landed at ORD well after midnight on delayed flights and had no problem with CBP, except the line was long.

But looking at the arrivals board, I see an 11:50pm arrival from MEX and an 11:59pm arrival from GDL and then nothing until a 5:25am arrival from GRU, followed by 6:30am from DEL and 7:00am from HND. So a 5h26m gap in flights, at least on this date. Almost a full shift with no flights to process -- presumably they only have a skeleton crew, but still a huge expense.

On the departures side (which presumably CBP might monitor, even if they aren't processing everyone) I see three Mexico departures and one TPE between midnight and 1:55am and then nothing till PUJ at 6:00am and then nothing till YYZ at 7:45am and CUN at 7:50am.

So you're looking at 1:56am - 7:44am, almost 6 hours, with only a single departure.

Maybe the CBP officers conduct mail and cargo operations during the off hours? Just speculating.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
Not unlike trying to land between 11pm-6am at SYD. Oh wait you can't.
Same at FRA.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by threeoh
I have also landed at ORD well after midnight on delayed flights and had no problem with CBP, except the line was long.

But looking at the arrivals board, I see an 11:50pm arrival from MEX and an 11:59pm arrival from GDL and then nothing until a 5:25am arrival from GRU, followed by 6:30am from DEL and 7:00am from HND. So a 5h26m gap in flights, at least on this date. Almost a full shift with no flights to process -- presumably they only have a skeleton crew, but still a huge expense.

On the departures side (which presumably CBP might monitor, even if they aren't processing everyone) I see three Mexico departures and one TPE between midnight and 1:55am and then nothing till PUJ at 6:00am and then nothing till YYZ at 7:45am and CUN at 7:50am.

So you're looking at 1:56am - 7:44am, almost 6 hours, with only a single departure.

Maybe the CBP officers conduct mail and cargo operations during the off hours? Just speculating
At that late hour (or do we have to call it early hour) on the day that BA flight arrived there were no lines for me as I was the first passenger to arrive at the border control. I managed that even though I was coming from the upper deck of the 747. The CBP agent was very happy to learn that I was indeed on the BA flight which, as you say, suggests that he would finish his shift after that flight was processed. I don't recall how many lines were open and did not wait to see how long it took for the other passengers to pass through security. I did not stop to talk to the reporters waiting to interview the passengers. I also did not wait to see how long it took for BA to get hotels for the other passengers. I had taken advantage of the time we spent at LHR after the plane had to return there to book a room at the ORD Hilton.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Aspen
OP again......

This question might even deserve it's own thread.

I have often read that the reason the two UAL aeroplanes from SYD & MEL arriving around 6.00am disembark at TBIT is because it is not worth it for the T7 CBP facility to be staffed for just two flights. When exactly in the day is it worth it to staff the facility if not for the simultaneous arrival of two wide bodied aeroplanes ?
Would think when TBIT reaches its peak later in the day.

At EWR, UA rarely uses its Terminal C for INTL arrival, but it does so on certain occasions when Terminal B runs out of arrival gates.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Would think when TBIT reaches its peak later in the day.

At EWR, UA rarely uses its Terminal C for INTL arrival, but it does so on certain occasions when Terminal B runs out of arrival gates.
UA uses C pretty extensively, but the preference is to schedule arrivals that turn relatively quickly to domestic or other international flights, which is why you’ll see lots of 737/757 international arrivals there.

B sees more WB arrivals that have long ground time before their next flights, and they are towed to the “Ballpark” and other holding areas to be serviced after arrival.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764

UA uses C pretty extensively, but the preference is to schedule arrivals that turn relatively quickly to domestic or other international flights, which is why you’ll see lots of 737/757 international arrivals there.

B sees more WB arrivals that have long ground time before their next flights, and they are towed to the “Ballpark” and other holding areas to be serviced after arrival.
Interesting. With the exception of 1 or 2 times, UA has always arrived at Terminal B for flights I have been on, wide or narrow bodies. I had assumed Terminal C is used for overflows. Thanks for the insight.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's been ages since I flew UA metal international back into US at EWR. Is there a reason they don't use C anymore for arrivals? AFA I remember C had much nicer (newer) and more capable (higher passenger processing #s ) than B.

Has this changed?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's been ages since I flew UA metal international back into US at EWR. Is there a reason they don't use C anymore for arrivals? AFA I remember C had much nicer (newer) and more capable (higher passenger processing #s ) than B.

Has this changed?
C is still used (see post #66 ).

I'd say Terminal B is better organized with more space than Terminal C for immigration processing, but admit it's been a while since arriving at C.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by narvik
C is still used (see post #66 ).

I'd say Terminal B is better organized with more space than Terminal C for immigration processing, but admit it's been a while since arriving at C.
I was meaning why they didn't use C as the primary anymore. Again it's been tears since I cleared into the US at EWR. Regardless of airline JFK/LAX are usually it. I just remember C immigration being so much better then B back then. Guess times have changed.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Again it's been tears since I cleared into the US at EWR. .... Guess times have changed.
(bolding mine)
I wouldn't shed any tears over not landing at EWR myself!

Depending how MANY years, then yeah, a LOT has changed: in 2008 or so they improved/enlarged the B arrival hall.
And CO used terminal C arrival a lot.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

OP again......

Wednesday Nov 21 landed at 5.08am

According the FlightRadar24 the past week's arrivals have been:
5:36am
5:18am
5:59am
5:32am
5:47am

Last edited by Aspen; Nov 21, 2018 at 7:53 am
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Can confirm.. I was on the 5:18 one (blocked in at 5:24). Definitely time to put the seat back down and take a quick nap, although I would have appreciated being up in the TBIT lounge. Not sure why they couldn't just run the flight a bit later (on the inbound sector too).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Can confirm.. I was on the 5:18 one (blocked in at 5:24). Definitely time to put the seat back down and take a quick nap, although I would have appreciated being up in the TBIT lounge. Not sure why they couldn't just run the flight a bit later (on the inbound sector too).
The Star Alliance lounge doesn't open until 6.00am but it takes me a little while to trek over to T4 to go through TSAPre.

I have long been asking why not land at and use the CBP under T7 and the answer has always been it was not worth the expense of operating the facility for just two flights (SYD & MEL) but I am now convinced it is because there are no free gates at that hour at T7. This has not been too much of a concern for the past few years as I have wanted to grab a shower at Star Alliance lounge. Once the Polaris Lounge opens in T7 I will enjoy the walk outside from TBIT to T7.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aspen
The Star Alliance lounge doesn't open until 6.00am but it takes me a little while to trek over to T4 to go through TSAPre.

I have long been asking why not land at and use the CBP under T7 and the answer has always been it was not worth the expense of operating the facility for just two flights (SYD & MEL) but I am now convinced it is because there are no free gates at that hour at T7. This has not been too much of a concern for the past few years as I have wanted to grab a shower at Star Alliance lounge. Once the Polaris Lounge opens in T7 I will enjoy the walk outside from TBIT to T7.
I had not realized LAX was getting a Polaris lounge. Now I am excited as I read it is this month and I am flying Polaris out of LAX next month.

Thanks for posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.