Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Headphone adaptor / connection Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:54 pm

+1. Last week flew 757-300 in F with 2prong & I gave up after 5 min. Then flew new 737-900 & I don't think I even had a jack; certainly no video. Made me think that UA has decided that IFE is not necessary in this day & age on domestic flights, a business decision I agree with.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:02 pm

I can't comment on the issue with the Bose, but I've had almost nothing but problems with those two-prong plugs where the two prongs are not the same size. And also those three-prong plugs. Whoever designed them, what were they thinking??
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:04 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Had plenty flights where I had to nudge the plug in just right to get sound out of both ears, though it was probably just mono going into both vs true stereo. Haven't had any issues with the modern lie flat IFE. Also, I left my double prong adapter on a flight :/
usapaw likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Audio jacks are by far the largest maintenance issue for any airline.

And it's usually damage caused by passenger abuse . Primarily when someone stands up and the headphones are still on.

Remember, there were a few people using that seat before you. But rarely is the problem reported.
usapaw likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by joony
Had plenty flights where I had to nudge the plug in just right to get sound out of both ears, though it was probably just mono going into both vs true stereo. Haven't had any issues with the modern lie flat IFE. Also, I left my double prong adapter on a flight :/
These adapters are inexpensive enough that you can easily have more than one. I've had good luck with the following ones:

http://www.amazon.com/golden-airline...e+plug+adapter

If you have to have the plug just right (and not plugged all the way in) on a two-jack system, then you are definitely not getting stereo (nor high-quality audio). Get a handful of the adapters.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Change the level on your headphones. It's located on the plug that goes into your headphones.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Angry

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Not sure if I'm the only one that has this frustration, but I feel like recently my headphones (Bose QC15) just don't seem to be staying in the UA planes. The CO planes with DirectTV rarely seem to have a problem - but the old UA planes (single or double prongs), just don't seem to work very well.

The double prong adapter that came with the Bose rarely work in the double prong jacks (just flew a 757 for AUA-EWR yesterday, had to jiggle the headphone jack to get it to stay perfectly to get volume in both ears - but that didn't last). The double prong jack didn't even stay in the jack.

Am I getting crappy seats, or do others have this problem?

I assume most people don't watch the movies (and 4 domestic/carribean long haul roundtrips this month & the movies are getting tiring and can only watch so many repeats of Big Bang Theory) - so maybe folks don't run into this issue - but I feel like almost every one of my flight have had screwed up audio that doesn't work well (even with the crappy UA supplied headsets) unless it on a Direct TV flight.

And, of course, the FA's (who have validated that my jacks were busted on 3 of the last 4 flights, first one I didn't say anything) say they no longer give out customer care kits for things like this - so 4-5 hour flights without IFE...guess I need to start downloading to my iPad...

Warning - Never have them plugged in on the sUA A319/320's when they start the engines. I have had two sets of headphones (BOSE/Dr. Beats) ruined due to a power surge in the entertainment system.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tw747

Warning - Never have them plugged in on the sUA A319/320's when they start the engines. I have had two sets of headphones (BOSE/Dr. Beats) ruined due to a power surge in the entertainment system.
I have plain ol' IEMs, but second this as the resulting static "shriek" can be ear-splitting!
usapaw likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Interesting that so many people have this problem.. I can't remember the last time I had any sound issues with my QC15's on UA planes. I know it has happened before where I've had to twist the plug around during the flight to get it to work properly but not recently. I've never had a problem with the 2 prong connections at all.

I just sold my QC15's last week and bought some QC20's..looking forward to trying them out for the first time when I fly this Thursday.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC E75K / Marriott Silver Elite / SPG
Sorry to bump a old thread.

But I was wondering, does anyone experience that the right side of the headphone sounds louder than the left?

I keep getting the perception that my right side sound louder..
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flyer4Ever
Sorry to bump a old thread.

But I was wondering, does anyone experience that the right side of the headphone sounds louder than the left?

I keep getting the perception that my right side sound louder..
If you reverse the headset on your head, what happens?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC E75K / Marriott Silver Elite / SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you reverse the headset on your head, what happens?
I get the perception that now the left side is louder...can it be my "OCD?"

Does this happen to anyone else? Thinking about going through the warranty process..
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
After years of frustration with airline jacks (and it's not a problem restricted to UA), I have all my entertainment on my iPad. I will never dependent on airline's jack(s) ever again.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by littlegreenmen
I've had a problem with finicky audio jacks as well, but I always thought it was the jack rather than the bose plug. I never tried another set of headphones though.
It is the jack. I have Bose headphones, and don't have any problem using them with my IPad or ITouch, or on other carriers. United's planes - especially the older ones - seem to have a large number of worn jacks.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Yes. I almost always have to play with the plug to get it to seat right to get ok sound. Kind of annoying but I can usually get it to sit right. But then if it gets bumped, need to play with it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.