FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1824064-comprehensive-companion-cpu-questions-archive.html)

Often1 Jul 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 18912137)
I apologize for starting a new thread. I read through others but I wasn't clear on how to best ensure an upgrade.

I am 1K, husband is general member. We bought tickets today for LAX -->HNL for Saturday, return on Tuesday - L Fare class. PLane is 757-300 and has 16 open first seats. I am pretty confident I will get an UDU. Will hubby get UDU on same PNR as me even though he is general, or would I need to use an Regional for him? Will I get UDU if we are on same PNR or will I be held back because of his lack of status.

Sorry in advance, but thank you much for responses :)

To summarize the multiple threads covering this issue:

1. Are there 16 seats available for sale or for selection? If the latter, ignore it. Could be 5 couples on a tour and the tour operator doesn't select seats until check-in. That would knock off 10 seats right there.

2. As a 1K on an L fare, you come after:

A. GS
B. Instruments
C. Any fellow 1K on a Y/B/M fare
D. Any elite below 1K on a Y/B fare
E. Your CPU and companion CPU then kick-in.

calitequilasippergirl Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Oh, I am sure there are lots of threads. I'm just not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to this particular subject :(

I used to fly this flight weekly and had no problem getting the UDU even as a Premier Executive back then. I am hoping our non business centric travel days will help too.

My understanding is that GS should have already cleared as should the 1K's on higher fare since we are 3 days out from flight. There are 16 seats available, however when I when click redeem upgrade it shows 9 seats available. My understanding is 9 is the maximum number it will show regardless of how many are available. I will monitor and if I don't get an upgrade overnight, I will call in. Thank you all very much for your input.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18912232)
To summarize the multiple threads covering this issue:

1. Are there 16 seats available for sale or for selection? If the latter, ignore it. Could be 5 couples on a tour and the tour operator doesn't select seats until check-in. That would knock off 10 seats right there.

2. As a 1K on an L fare, you come after:

A. GS
B. Instruments
C. Any fellow 1K on a Y/B/M fare
D. Any elite below 1K on a Y/B fare
E. Your CPU and companion CPU then kick-in.

QBK Jul 21, 2012 10:17 am

Alright, I'm officially confused now. Nothing surprising about that, so I'm gonna ask y'all.

I have three primary questions.

First: is the PMCO policy, allowing one nonstatus companion on separate PNR to be added to the upgrade list at the airport, still operational? Sparse comments in this thread suggest that it is, but I can't find a definitive experience, and the United policies that I can find online say absolutely nothing about this (even the ones quoted in this thread).

Second: if so, how early can I request? 2 hours, 24 hours, or other? (8am flight -- I'm happy to go to the airport on the previous day, but not happy to get up at 5am).

Third: if so, can the companion be on an award (X) fare?

Background: I'm on a revenue ticket, my daughter is on an award ticket booked with my miles. Same flights. I'm Platinum with the Club card, so award bookings are eligible for CPU. Furthermore, I booked grandma on a similar award ticket from a different origin, and she got upgraded at T-96 (thanks to the timezone bug). So I have evidence that awards booked with my miles are indeed CPU-eligible (thanks to the CO status-inheriting bug).

Anyway, I just got upgraded at T-72, but daughter didn't. Probably because she clears at the very bottom of Plats, whereas I'm on an H fare. Or possibly because the status bug isn't actually working on her reservation (thanks for the transparency, SHARES). Anyway, fine -- maybe she clears at a later window, but I don't want to count on it. So I'd like to know whether I can add her at the airport (preferably the night before).

Update: Daughter just cleared CPU at T-24. :) :) :) So, unfortunately, I'm probably not going to find out the answers to any of these questions via direct experience (at least not right now). Answers still much appreciated for posterity's sake!

rerunree1 Jul 21, 2012 10:53 am

FYI, just got CPUs for my Dad(no status) and I for SFO-YVR 7/25 L fare.
We are on same locator. Just inside 1K window (96 hrs).:cool:
Hope this helps.

mkr Jul 22, 2012 12:01 am

Flight on July 24 9:17 PM SEA-ANC...R inventory had remained 2 for several days. No CPU upgrade at 96 hrs for this 1K and one non-Premier member companion on same reservation. R inventory still 2 after the 96 hour window mark and I had not been upgraded. I called 1K line to inquire about this to see if there were still computer problems. They looked at a list and found my name with 1K status listed for me and companion awaiting processing for upgrade, and agreed there was R inventory available, but informed me that they were not allowed to manually force the upgrade. At beginning of July 21, there were 7 F seats listed for sale. During the day this F inventory went down to 6. At 72 hr window, my 2 CPUs were cleared into First, and the F inventory went down a few minutes later to 2, and the 2 seats in the R inventory went to 0. So I got 2 seats from R, but I don't know how the other 2 seats in First were taken from the inventory. So at least, in this instance, a 1K and non-status companion were upgraded, just at 72 hours and not at 96 hours.

drew74 Jul 22, 2012 12:33 pm

CPU Upgrade Strategy with 4 flyers

Hi-

1K here that will be flying with 3 others to Hawaii in December.

With the new SHARES system, what is the best strategy to ensure 2 of us get upgraded w/CPU? (dont want to waste rpus/gpus on upgrade to HI)

I've had challenges in past with companion upgrades on flying just with my wife (2P)

Should I purchase the 4 tickets on one single PNR? How would that work with only 2 folks with option to be upgraded (others are not elites)?

Or should I purchase tickets on 2 PNRs, one with myself and wife, and the second PNR with the other two flyers? I can then call into premier desk, and get the seat assignments for Econ+ since I can enable up to 8 companions? Would this make it easier for the upgrade?

I also have noticed they are flying PMC0 753s, with no ECON+ except exit rows instead of PMUA 752s from LAX for most Hawaii routes (some exceptions on LIH, KOA).

Thanks for help,

tods27 Jul 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by drew74 (Post 18980141)
Hi-

1K here that will be flying with 3 others to Hawaii in December.

With the new SHARES system, what is the best strategy to ensure 2 of us get upgraded w/CPU? (dont want to waste rpus/gpus on upgrade to HI)

I've had challenges in past with companion upgrades on flying just with my wife (2P)

Should I purchase the 4 tickets on one single PNR? How would that work with only 2 folks with option to be upgraded (others are not elites)?

Or should I purchase tickets on 2 PNRs, one with myself and wife, and the second PNR with the other two flyers? I can then call into premier desk, and get the seat assignments for Econ+ since I can enable up to 8 companions? Would this make it easier for the upgrade?

I also have noticed they are flying PMC0 753s, with no ECON+ except exit rows instead of PMUA 752s from LAX for most Hawaii routes (some exceptions on LIH, KOA).

Thanks for help,

If you are the only person with status, I would do 2 PNRs with 2 people each to try for the upgrades. It seems to me that PNRs with more than 2 on them are problematic when trying for CPU. If you have one elite and multiple non-elites, the website specifically says you'll be skipped.

We have a flight (Wife - 1P, Son and I - 1P) that is within 48 hrs showing F9, JN9, A9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R8, RN8, IN7, I7 on a 2 class plane and we have not been upgraded yet. I don't trust that the system works for PNRs with more than 2 people on them (It is supposed to work with multiple Premier members and one non premier member according to the website).

krentzie Jul 23, 2012 6:07 am

Can someone help me out here? I am losing my mind.

Just checked in for flight tomorrow. Traveling with wife who has no status, I am gold.

Flight has 12 of 20 F seats open and no one on standby list. We arent appearing on standby list. We are on one PNR.

I know that might be normal but when I called and asked if there was something I needed to do the women told me since my wife has zero status she cant be moved up. I thought gold can have a companion uprgrade? Is this not true?

If she can move, is there anything else I need to do to try to make it happen?

tods27 Jul 23, 2012 9:07 am

Originally Posted by krentzie (Post 18984204)
Can someone help me out here? I am losing my mind.

Just checked in for flight tomorrow. Traveling with wife who has no status, I am gold.

Flight has 12 of 20 F seats open and no one on standby list. We arent appearing on standby list. We are on one PNR.

I know that might be normal but when I called and asked if there was something I needed to do the women told me since my wife has zero status she cant be moved up. I thought gold can have a companion uprgrade? Is this not true?

If she can move, is there anything else I need to do to try to make it happen?

When you checked in, you should have been asked if you wanted to put passengers on the upgrade list. If you did, the PNR should have been split and both of you should show up on the upgrade list. If you didn't, you won't show up at all.

krentzie Jul 23, 2012 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tods27 (Post 18985188)
When you checked in, you should have been asked if you wanted to put passengers on the upgrade list. If you did, the PNR should have been split and both of you should show up on the upgrade list. If you didn't, you won't show up at all.

I thought it was best to not split it to avoid one of us being upgraded and the other one not. Can I call to have them
Split it now or is it too late now that I checked in? If it is too late we can still be added at the airport right?

tods27 Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by krentzie (Post 18986015)
I thought it was best to not split it to avoid one of us being upgraded and the other one not. Can I call to have them
Split it now or is it too late now that I checked in? If it is too late we can still be added at the airport right?

At the airport, they can only add one at a time, so if you want to avoid one person being upgraded, you shoudn't have yourself put on the UG list. This pretty much sucks, but it is the way it works.

SeaRaptor Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by krentzie (Post 18986015)

If the PNR is split and your wife does not appear on the upgrade list, you can still add her at the airport, yes.

aacharya Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by SeaRaptor (Post 18986968)
If the PNR is split and your wife does not appear on the upgrade list, you can still add her at the airport, yes.

But the OP didn't split. He/she will be very late in the UG game if added at the airport.

doug_999 Jul 23, 2012 4:45 pm

The last time I flew with a non-status person, at some point (during online checkin?) I was asked if I wanted to upgrade (or be put on the list) with some mention of my companion NOT being upgraded (we were on same PNR). I said Yes and when I looked at the board at the gate, we were both on the upgrade list together (one after another). So it is as though the system talks about spiting you but doesn't? Curious because I have a trip with the boss woman in the future and if I get upgraded and she doesn't I'm dead (last time this happened, I was upgraded while boarding and I had to refuse. What really sucked was Smisek was on my flight and I would have been next to him. That would have been cool - but not so much for my wife in her middle seat).

krentzie Jul 23, 2012 6:52 pm

So I split the PNR as I was offered it when I called and within 1 min my wife and I were upgraded for tomorrow. I have no idea why and am more confused but I am not complaining. Now have no clue how to play the return flight.

charlesdemar Jul 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 18987107)
But the OP didn't split. He/she will be very late in the UG game if added at the airport.

I'm not disagreeing with your post specifically, but, I'm confused in general with the whole process - because I didn't split my PNR last month and my wife (no status) was upgraded with me at the 72 hour window on our LAX to IAH flight.

I truly have to say, I have no idea how this system works anymore. I get CSRs telling me not to split but my real world experience works out for us to keep it combined. I just combined another trip we are both taking later this year as I think that's the way to go.

kiam Jul 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by doug_999 (Post 18988303)
Curious because I have a trip with the boss woman in the future and if I get upgraded and she doesn't I'm dead (last time this happened, I was upgraded while boarding and I had to refuse. What really sucked was Smisek was on my flight and I would have been next to him. That would have been cool - but not so much for my wife in her middle seat).

Your boss woman would rather let you lose the upgraded seat (for her to take it)? Interesting. :)

doug_999 Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by kiam (Post 18989881)
Your boss woman would rather let you lose the upgraded seat (for her to take it)? Interesting. :)

At 5'2", the boss lady would rather sit next to me (her husband) than alone in FC.

aacharya Jul 24, 2012 11:22 am

Originally Posted by krentzie (Post 18988898)
So I split the PNR as I was offered it when I called and within 1 min my wife and I were upgraded for tomorrow. I have no idea why and am more confused but I am not complaining. Now have no clue how to play the return flight.

You dont. It should automatically place you both.

Originally Posted by doug_999 (Post 18992936)
At 5'2", the boss lady would rather sit next to me (her husband) than alone in FC.

Next time split. If only one upgrades trade seats with the y pax in the old seat.

kiam Jul 24, 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by doug_999 (Post 18992936)

hahahahaha, my wife (same height as your boss woman's) would definitely choose to sit up front. :p

krentzie Jul 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Crap. Now that I split the PNR for the outbound I realized we are different for the way home this weekend.

2 questions:

1. If we try to do a SDC to an earlier flight did I shoot myself in the foot now since my wife has no status therefore will I have to pay for change her to an earlier flight since she is on a seperate PNR?

2. Will the system know to add her to the upgrade list as well as now she is on a totally seperate PNR from me?

SoxIn7 Jul 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by krentzie (Post 18993990)
Crap. Now that I split the PNR for the outbound I realized we are different for the way home this weekend.

2 questions:

1. If we try to do a SDC to an earlier flight did I shoot myself in the foot now since my wife has no status therefore will I have to pay for change her to an earlier flight since she is on a seperate PNR?

Yes. Had the same situation in early June myself.

2. Will the system know to add her to the upgrade list as well as now she is on a totally seperate PNR from me?
It has been somewhat inconsistent, but a lot of people have found that even after splitting the companion is added to the list on the return trip. I would call to check anyway though.

chinesescouse Jul 26, 2012 5:34 am

Originally Posted by doug_999 (Post 18988303)
The last time I flew with a non-status person, at some point (during online checkin?) I was asked if I wanted to upgrade (or be put on the list) with some mention of my companion NOT being upgraded (we were on same PNR). I said Yes and when I looked at the board at the gate, we were both on the upgrade list together (one after another). So it is as though the system talks about spiting you but doesn't? Curious because I have a trip with the boss woman in the future and if I get upgraded and she doesn't I'm dead (last time this happened, I was upgraded while boarding and I had to refuse. What really sucked was Smisek was on my flight and I would have been next to him. That would have been cool - but not so much for my wife in her middle seat).

Let's hope this truly is the case. I split the res. and so only one of us will probably be upgraded!
UA's messages asking whether you want to continue to be able to receive an upgrade is misleading. Automation sometimes is a .....!

CLG Jul 26, 2012 7:00 am

This whole thing is a real point of frustration for me.

Another data point - traveled last weekend IAH - SFO round trip. The reservation had myself (1K), wife (Silver), and infant son (trash).

We had a Friday morning departure, so I wasn't expecting an upgrade, though I did see a lot of names on the list (it was on the 763, so lots of seats in F). None of use cleared in advance. At OLCI, the computer asked if the eligible travelers (wife & I only) wanted upgrades. Since I figured that the new people taking our coach seats wouldn't want to babysit my 6 month old son, I said no. This apparently kept us off the CPU run for both the outbound and the return on Tuesday, since we never showed up on the standby list for either segment.

Another change I like!

CLG

Say Vandelay Jul 27, 2012 12:58 pm

I am gold and my companion (no status) and I on the same PNR both cleared at the 48-hr window, which has never happened before. It didn't assign seats, but I was able to choose them online at checkin. The website also asked if I wanted to be added to the upgrade list, so I said yes and then it split the reservation. Now I wonder if I should have clicked no. I didn't realize they were upgrading companions together at the CPU windows--I thought it had to be done manually at the airport.

WineCountryUA Jul 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay (Post 19013633)
...I didn't realize they were upgrading companions together at the CPU windows--I thought it had to be done manually at the airport.

the companions at CPU windows was one of the PMUA policies adopted 3/3 -- so for PMCO fliers it was a change.

aacharya Jul 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by CLG (Post 19004775)

Another data point - traveled last weekend IAH - SFO round trip. The reservation had myself (1K), wife (Silver), and infant son (trash).

We had a Friday morning departure, so I wasn't expecting an upgrade, though I did see a lot of names on the list (it was on the 763, so lots of seats in F). None of use cleared in advance. At OLCI, the computer asked if the eligible travelers (wife & I only) wanted upgrades. Since I figured that the new people taking our coach seats wouldn't want to babysit my 6 month old son, I said no. This apparently kept us off the CPU run for both the outbound and the return on Tuesday, since we never showed up on the standby list for either segment.

Another change I like!

CLG

Ah, son had a seat, not a lap child?

If both had upgraded, you could've brought him up, no?

I don't see why this is a"change you'll like" issue. The questions are clear, and you chose your scenario.

For the return, you probably chose auto check-in.

lax2010 Jul 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay (Post 19013633)
I am gold and my companion (no status) and I on the same PNR both cleared at the 48-hr window, which has never happened before. ...

May be all or more higher level elites are now flying on AA ;-). Seriously, could it not be a trans-con route?

Say Vandelay Jul 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 19013643)
the companions at CPU windows was one of the PMUA policies adopted 3/3 -- so for PMCO fliers it was a change.

A change we'll like. :p I heard it was coming but didn't think it was possible technologically. If they could upgrade my companion at the window and on one PNR for the outbound, why did it split it for the return. Will she still get upgraded with me if space is available?

Originally Posted by lax2010 (Post 19013691)
Seriously, could it not be a trans-con route?

Of course not... Newark to Florida on a weekend in the middle of summer. :)

adastra Aug 4, 2012 9:24 am

I'm still rather confused by how companion upgrades work now, even (especially?) after reading 16 pages of comments. If a reservation is split, is a non-elite companion actually going to make it onto the upgrade standby list? How does this work?

I booked WAS-PHX with a companion, and split the reservation to maximize the chances of at least one of us (me!) making it to the front. It worked and I got my upgrade on both outbound flights. But my non-elite companion hasn't fared as well - she's not on the upgrade list after check-in, she's in boarding group 5, there seems to have been no advantage to booking together if we were going to split later. For all intents and purposes, it looks like we booked separately.

I called UA and the agent seemed completely perplexed as to why I'd split the reservation, but said that my companion would show up on the list "eventually." I have my doubts, because it seems like she should've shown up at check-in. The agent also seemed to think she'd have a good chance for an upgrade on the way back home, but that seems unlikely as well if she's not showing up now and we're already split.

We don't care about being upgraded together, or even sitting together, but I wanted to give my friend a shot at her first experience riding up front. So I thought that booking together and then splitting was a good idea... what did I do wrong? What should I do differently next time?

chinesescouse Aug 4, 2012 9:56 am

I think you're guess is as good as anyone's. I doubt United understands how that works as well. I've spoken to 2 reps on the phone and both gave a difference answer. After splitting the res, 1st rep said that only I would potentially be on the upgrade list (UA Gold), which is logical. If I declined to split the res then we're declining to be upgraded.

2nd rep said that if I declined to split the res, hence we're were both on the record locator, we'd both be picked up on the upgrade list.

Trip report:
Outbound: Upgraded to First. But that was before separate the record locators. First flt on Fri to DCA. Don't know the usual loads, but seemed somewhat full.
Inbound: No upgrade. Separate record locators. Full and oversold flight in F and Y.

kiam Aug 5, 2012 12:25 am

Originally Posted by adastra (Post 19058468)
So I thought that booking together and then splitting was a good idea... what did I do wrong? What should I do differently next time?

It wasn't clear to me if you split at check-in (be it OLIC or airport) OR you split on your own (be it via website or call an agent). Each method will yield totally different results. The latter will be treated as if you book two separate bookings from the beginning meaning no companion tied to your booking whatsoever.

lulubell Aug 5, 2012 3:33 am

Originally Posted by CLG (Post 19004775)

Another change I like!

CLG

Over the years we've made fellow passengers happy in the same way since we travel as a family but differnt status levels ( 1K,1 gold 2 silver) so we end up giving up and sitting in coach to be together. LOL

flavorflav Aug 5, 2012 3:56 am

To avoid any accidental or unwitting auto-split of a PNR on a return trip, I now book all my trips as separate one-ways. Makes no difference in price (I travel 99 percent domestically) and removes the chance for many of the headaches others have written about here.

Of course, that means twice as much babysitting of seat assignments, schedule changes, etc. Worth it to me.

To complicate matters further, when it's three of us traveling - me (1P), Mrs. Flavorflav (*S on US) and Master Flavorflav (2P) - I book my wife and I on one PNR and my son by himself on another PNR. Laborious but it maximizes our chances for all three of us to go up front should space be available. All three of us clear more often than you might think. And no, Master Flavorflav never sits by himself. Having his own PNR is nothing more than a strategy to grab the CPU. If just one or two of the three-person party gets the upgrade, usually Mrs. Flavorflav goes up front while Master Flavorflav and I sit in the back.

So we have some round trips where there are four PNRs for three people. The lengths we go to to master the system...

SeaRaptor Aug 5, 2012 5:39 am

Originally Posted by flavorflav (Post 19062116)
So we have some round trips where there are four PNRs for three people. The lengths we go to to master the system...

While I am impressed by your perseverance, it is patently ridiculous that the reservation system is so bizarre and misunderstood by both passengers and agents that we have to play these kinds of games just to keep seat assignments.

UA-NYC Aug 5, 2012 6:55 am

To avoid any accidental or unwitting auto-split of a PNR on a return trip, I now book all my trips as separate one-ways. Makes no difference in price (I travel 99 percent domestically) and removes the chance for many of the headaches others have written about here.

Just be glad (I'm guessing) you don't fly to/from EWR, as what your doing would cause you severe financial pains with that airport

Joshua Aug 5, 2012 10:03 am

One benefit of this is you can "earn" $5 in your TravelBank for each one-way trip if you join the united.com club.

Not that it's done me any good, since I booked a ticket with $50 in my TravelBank; United charged my credit card for the $50 a week later and, half a year later, has yet to give me my TravelBank funds back.

Yet another companion trip; myself 1K, Mrs Joshua a Gold, and no upgrade cleared. Bargain F inventory is 5 seats out of a 20 seat cabin. Called up to the split the record, as usual. We'll probably both clear independently.

I'd be less aggravated about this if we still got an RPU every 10k flown miles, but RPUs are pretty precious nowadays.

Flying Machine Aug 5, 2012 10:10 am

So if a 1K and a 1P are traveling together, would you create 1 PNR or Separate PNR's for each PAX? My school of thought, isnt it better to have 1 PNR so both PAX clear at the 1K window for UDU?

adastra Aug 6, 2012 8:36 am

In the end, I got my companion added back to the upgrade standby list at the airport, and she magically cleared for both flights due to last-minute no-shows. But what a headache! The DCA club agents said they'd seen this happen before, and had no advice on how to prevent a companion from being randomly lost at check-in.

Say Vandelay Aug 6, 2012 1:54 pm

FWIW on a recent return flight with a companion (after the reservation was split), we were both added to the upgrade list automatically and next to each other at checkin/T-24. It was showing R=0 until that point, so I don't know if we would have cleared at the Gold window as we did on the outbound.