Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Filling the F cabin too early?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I don't understand why people assume last minute upgrades are CPUs. Presumably the people at the top of a sizable list are using instruments, right?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I don't understand why people assume last minute upgrades are CPUs. Presumably the people at the top of a sizable list are using instruments, right?
Should "someone" using an instrument get the seat over a 1K who wants to pay for it?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What I don't understand is why the Premier sold-out flight access doesn't extend to full fare F and only includes full fare Y and B (bolding mine, link: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ervices.aspx). That would solve this problem since it would put in a policy to bump less than full fare folks in F if a 1K was buying full fare F. Similar to hotels where Platinum / Diamond has last room guarantee and they walk someone else.

Access to most sold-out flights: Premier members may receive confirmed reservations - even when a flight is sold out - when purchasing certain full-fare tickets. Premier 1K® members may take advantage of this benefit when purchasing an unrestricted Y or B class ticket at least 90 minutes prior to departure. This benefit also applies to Premier Platinum members when purchasing an unrestricted Y class ticket at least 120 minutes prior to departure, and Premier Gold and Premier Silver members when purchasing an unrestricted Y class ticket at least 24 hours prior to departure.

Please contact the Premier Priority Desk or call the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) to reserve and purchase your flight.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
What I don't understand is why the Premier sold-out flight access doesn't extend to full fare F and only includes full fare Y and B (bolding mine, link: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ervices.aspx). That would solve this problem since it would put in a policy to bump less than full fare folks in F if a 1K was buying full fare F. Similar to hotels where Platinum / Diamond has last room guarantee and they walk someone else.
Well, I can tell you I'd be court-and-media annoyed if I had purchased a business class ticket on United and they bumped me to accept more money at T-2 hours.

I guess that's not true. I'd take a few thousand dollars.

I wouldn't be like the Chipotle woman who's suing for billions of dollars over a photo.

But I doubt an airline would want the publicity associated with someone like that over something like this.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well, I can tell you I'd be court-and-media annoyed if I had purchased a business class ticket on United and they bumped me to accept more money at T-2 hours.

I guess that's not true. I'd take a few thousand dollars.

I wouldn't be like the Chipotle woman who's suing for billions of dollars over a photo.

But I doubt an airline would want the publicity associated with someone like that over something like this.
Well presumably the first to be bumped would be the upgraders right? UA already does this when cabin gets downsized and they bump upgraders back down to Y and then P fare if necessary.

Hotels do this all the time and there's no publicity outrage.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Well presumably the first to be bumped would be the upgraders right? UA already does this when cabin gets downsized and they bump upgraders back down to Y and then P fare if necessary.

Hotels do this all the time and there's no publicity outrage.
Well as someone who never upgrades on United, I can't say I'm opposed to this entirely.

But as a frequent flyer, the idea that a confirmed upgrade is not really confirmed does not sit well with me.

So again, my thoughts are to just not confirm them so far out unless you're willing to bet a lot of money that no one else will want the seat.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I would think that any business would rather surprise people at the last minute over disappointing them by taking something away. the latter leaves to disgruntle customers where the earlier leads to happy customers.

This supports the idea of keeping a few seas available until boarding or at least not "giving" all of the unpaid ones away so quickly.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
On a number of my CPU flights this past year, UA completely filled the F cabin with upgrades quite some time before the flight.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have a friend, less savvy about all this, who wants to fly SFO-ATL tomorrow, in paid F.

For the record (though I do not think it's relevant), she holds UA 1K status.

EF says F0 C0 A0 D0 Z0 P0 Y6 B6 M6 E0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N6.

My first thought was "damn they're making money on that route".

But I checked the status on united.com, and it says:
United First®: 20 | Booked: Full | Checked In: 9

But there are three people listed as confirmed upgrades (check marks) already.
1k can confirm a complimentary upgrade as early as 4 days before the flight. One of the bennies of being 1k.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Do we know that the last seat(s) went to upgrades? Could they have upgraded several, leaving a seat or two open, then those last seats went to paid FC? How would you tell the difference?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is unique, a complaint about too many upgrades and not enough seats available for purchase.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
This is unique, a complaint about too many upgrades and not enough seats available for purchase.
Sort of. This is really a discussion about holding back 2 (ish) F seats until T-1 (ish) for paid F passengers with irrops. But yes, the cheap P fares have definitely made many of us more focused on Paid F than on upgrade F.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Because you can tell if you've been watching a flight through the CPU sweeps at the windows.

Originally Posted by TomMM
It's not (at least not by those who understand the process). It's about timing.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Just misconnected in ORD on P fare. Sitting in UC, B concourse right now waiting for rebooked ORD-YYZ in Y on a segment with 3 checkmarked pax. Rebooking was done at more than T-3h of new flight.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Do we know that the last seat(s) went to upgrades? Could they have upgraded several, leaving a seat or two open, then those last seats went to paid FC? How would you tell the difference?
Watch across the window when x cleared, 3 empty changes to (x + 3) cleared, 0 empty. More common though they do leave 1 seat empty and sell it to last minute F (or TOD, no way to tell) but come day of departure the flight is still F0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.