Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Voucher for Fare Price Change?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Anyone know how long it takes for United to mail a voucher for a price drop to the continental USA? Was approved for a price drop 3 weeks ago on an international flight and haven't received anything yet.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flightsofideas
Anyone know how long it takes for United to mail a voucher for a price drop to the continental USA? Was approved for a price drop 3 weeks ago on an international flight and haven't received anything yet.
You didn't get an e-mail with an Electronic Travel Certificate number?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You didn't get an e-mail with an Electronic Travel Certificate number?
Nope, I was told it would be mailed to me. Weird... I guess it's time to call them back. So painful waiting on hold.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Ya, call then back. I had to call twice and then it came by email. It took about two weeks. (Funny, because charges happen immediately, but if they owe me money...)
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
No fee?

Doesn't the OP have to pay a re-ticketing charge?
Or was the price drop large enough to cover the fee and then some?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Doesn't the OP have to pay a re-ticketing charge?
Or was the price drop large enough to cover the fee and then some?
Large enough to cover the fee and then some... Those international flights have huge price swings. Also the change fee was only $50 since I was within 30 days of purchase.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just to be clear. This isn't a "change fee". It is an "administrative fee".

Change fees are a lot higher than what UA charges to re-fare your ticket with same flights/dates/airports when it's a lower fare.

As for getting the difference as a voucher in the mail, I've never had that. They've always been ECVs for me and issued almost immediately.

-RM
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:20 am

I would like to get more info on this "administration fee" for refare. Is this something new or it has always been that? I thought when we refare for the exact same date/flight/airport, UA has always charged the standard change fee and refund anything above that fee for the difference instead of charging a $50 fee. I would be nice if this is true so that I know to call them next time. I had always operate under the assumption that it needs to drop more than 200-300 before calling them. Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flightsofideas
Nope, I was told it would be mailed to me. Weird... I guess it's time to call them back. So painful waiting on hold.
United's been getting away from mailing them. You might have ignored or deleted the pertinent e-mail (which rep might have called "mailing"). You might have to bug 'em if you want it snail-mailed.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA is terrible about sending these. I'd suggest you follow up with customer care. It will probably take two or three tries. Forget about US mail . . . have it e-mailed.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I had to change the dates of my flights. Even with the $200 change fee, it was significantly cheaper, so UA says in the receipt it will issue an ETC for the remainder. This was on 11/23. I called later that day, and the CSR said to wait a few days. Have I waited long enough to necessitate a second call?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I had to change the dates of my flights. Even with the $200 change fee, it was significantly cheaper, so UA says in the receipt it will issue an ETC for the remainder. This was on 11/23. I called later that day, and the CSR said to wait a few days. Have I waited long enough to necessitate a second call?
IME, e-cert never came back no matter how many calls you make.

You will hear:

"We can't give you PIN for security reasons"

"We need a physical address so PIN can be sent by US mail"

"We will request that they email you the PIN. Be patient"

My solution: email 1K Voice. usually get e-cert PIN in 2 days.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:23 pm

I purchased a revenue ticket on 12/28 on United.com for $1,100. At the time of purchase, only a Flexible ticket was available, and the United website said that only 2 seats remained at that price, and in Expert Mode, I confirmed that Y2 was showing.

Fast forward to my flight on 12/30, upon boarding, I noticed the flight has pretty light. Lots of empty middle seats. I had already boarded and was on the plane, but I happened to check the United app 15 minutes prior to departure for that same flight, one way, and I saw availability on the app for $579.

That is almost 50% less than what I paid 2 days earlier. Would you expect United to provide any sort of compensation or voucher? I didn't have enough time to call in since we were about to depart, but if I had cancelled and rebooked right then and there I would've saved over $300 after change fee.

Does anyone else also think it is pretty crappy of the United site to list Y2, and 2 seats remaining for a given price, and then offer a significantly cheaper fare class days later?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Every once and awhile an airline will do a true supply and demand for pricing to fill seats.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
Every once and awhile an airline will do a true supply and demand for pricing to fill seats.
I get supply and demand, but doesn't that seem like a misrepresentation and false advertising of the price and number of seats and price of remaining seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.