Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Baggage sizer use at the gate? (No longer at gates after 23 Jan 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Baggage sizer use at the gate? (No longer at gates after 23 Jan 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
I have had non-UA staff insist I use the sizer (e.g. the AirServ guys while waiting in a TSA line!).
Me too... AirServ at LAX made me use the sizer...my bag fit no problem, but it's still a pain.

Never have seen it in use at a gate, though. The AirServ was at entrance to the security line.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by bmustaf
I wonder how many of us simply haven't been around for anything past Group 1 to actually see it used?

I have never, ever seen it used but then again, I have also not been in anything but Group 1 or better in many years and I assume usage is a lot more frequent or enforced post G1 (not saying this as a "look at me DYKWIA" thing, but as a "maybe as FTers we suffer from situational/selection bias").
I agree, I am exactly the same, even people getting on last seem to have evaded the sizer police judging by the size of some of the kitchen sinks that they are bringing on.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:12 am

I've seen its use threatened once, "all carry-ons will be tested before scanning boarding passes." Of course, our bags weren't tested, and I saw no evidence that anybody else's were. (Group 1 bias here.)

Flying out of MKE last month, the GAs were dictatorial about requiring groups 4 and 5 to gate check on a full flight, as in wandering around the gate checking people's boarding passes to see which group they were in.

I've also noticed crews keeping a close track of open bin space and letting the GA know when they were going to have to start gate checking. Not on every flight, but certainly more proactive than they'd been in the past.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It is a classic YMMV but I'd say pretty rarely. They will threaten to every time though.

I was on a CR2 flight recently, and they had everyone that went up to try to get a GREEN tag try their bag in the sizer. Many bags did not fit but the result was the same, they were given a green tag. I wasn't sure what the point of that was.

At the same time, I've seen people in group 5 be forced to check bags smaller than some women's purses. or even forced to to check a paper shopping bag that clearly had no way of closing at the top all the way to NRT.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
I was on a CR2 flight recently, and they had everyone that went up to try to get a GREEN tag try their bag in the sizer. Many bags did not fit but the result was the same, they were given a green tag. I wasn't sure what the point of that was.
Seems like a waste of time for all concerned.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:48 pm

I have an older "22 inch" bag that is really 24 on the outside since some companies measure the inside instead of the outside. I also have a newer bag, just for United, that is really 22 on the outside. However, this summer I'll be going to Alaska with the flights on United, but in First, and I would love to be able to take the 24 inch bag. Based on my prior experience the slightly too large bag will be less of a problem in First than it might be in Economy. Does this match your experience?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vroberts
I have an older "22 inch" bag that is really 24 on the outside since some companies measure the inside instead of the outside. I also have a newer bag, just for United, that is really 22 on the outside. However, this summer I'll be going to Alaska with the flights on United, but in First, and I would love to be able to take the 24 inch bag. Based on my prior experience the slightly too large bag will be less of a problem in First than it might be in Economy. Does this match your experience?
If you're talking about a roller bag, you'd be testing your luck. I've seen passengers in First pulled aside for bags 2-3" larger than spec. It seems rare that agents check shoulder bags for size, though, particularly group 1.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I've NEVER seen a United agent enforce the sizer, even in cases when I see people schlepping egregiously oversized bags down the aisle (you know the ones that HAVE to go in sideways). Heck half of the time I see people dragging two full size bags onboard.

Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:47 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I was doing a PVG-SFO-PDX, last flight to PDX. Was first in line for Zone 2 as it was a fully booked flight and they were calling for people to check-in carry-on, and the flight was delayed almost an hour, last flight of the night I was coming back from a two week with a roller from PVG.

The very nice typical UA attendant called me out to check my roller, of course it didn't fit, but my roller does fit into the overhead. She was very insistent in requiring me to check, took another 30' at baggage claim to get my back in PDX. I was how would you say sure she was profiling me and making an example of me as first on zone2. I challenged her and she was very how should I say firm.. I was also insistent, but in the end decide arguing with a gate agent on a power trip was a losing strategy.

As I was an early boarder I saw many a larger roller come on board often by a passenger with a backpack and another personal item. I was not happy to be singled out. Several people told me, it was of little consolation, that they are tight on this at SFO recently and agreed that I was unfairly singled out.

I know next time, I'll just happily abide the check it in request, and demand the attendant check every other questionable back. I don't mind following the rules, but at least make EVERYONE follow-it, don't single a person out, don't single me out United!

United clearly has a systematic problem with that at the moment.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vroberts
Why would it be less of a problem. Unless UA changed carry-on size guidelines very recently, the allowable dimensions don't vary by cabin. Also, not sure what you mean by 'outside' - if the 24" doesn't include the wheels/handles, well, UA (and all airlines, IIRC) do count the size of those in the dimensions.

Given its bigger then the rules allow, I'd expect to have to check it, but be pleasantly surprised if you don't. The fact is, you can get all the advice on here telling you it won't be an issue, but even if there's only one GA in the UA system that checks this stuff, and its the GA handling your flight, it doesn't matter - you'll need to check it.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
The very nice typical UA attendant called me out to check my roller, of course it didn't fit, but my roller does fit into the overhead.
I know this has been a point of contention in other threads regarding carry-on bags, but the rules purposely don't reference whether it fits in the overhead or not. Besides the issue of the overhead being different sizes on different aircraft, let's not forget that the overhead is meant for all pax, not a few who bring in abnormally large bags that 'fit in the overhead'. Heck, I have hockey bag that would probably fit in the overhead of most mainline planes, but would probably take up the space of 3, maybe 4 allowable size carry on's since its so long.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: None anymore
I wonder how they're going to handle the carry on situation once "basic economy" is rolled out company wide.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

I know this has been a point of contention in other threads regarding carry-on bags, but the rules purposely don't reference whether it fits in the overhead or not. Besides the issue of the overhead being different sizes on different aircraft, let's not forget that the overhead is meant for all pax, not a few who bring in abnormally large bags that 'fit in the overhead'. Heck, I have hockey bag that would probably fit in the overhead of most mainline planes, but would probably take up the space of 3, maybe 4 allowable size carry on's since its so long.
Dang you mean I can't bring my trunk that weighs 50kg even though it fits

No seriously it was a little larger roller, just a tad thicker and longer than the tiny frame they have, that fit all but the smaller regionals width ways with wheels out ( so NO I don't take the space of 3 people like many who put them length wise in )

This past week splurged and picked up a Briggs Riley International Carry one that will fix this problem... but still pi$$ed at the very uneven treatment of passengers that got more leniency than I after I boarded.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Had this happen to me a few times, just agree with agent and they will ask you to take down ramp after placing luggage tag, remove tag and take on plane after you walk past them
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I was doing a PVG-SFO-PDX, last flight to PDX. Was first in line for Zone 2 as it was a fully booked flight and they were calling for people to check-in carry-on, and the flight was delayed almost an hour, last flight of the night I was coming back from a two week with a roller from PVG.

The very nice typical UA attendant called me out to check my roller, of course it didn't fit, but my roller does fit into the overhead. She was very insistent in requiring me to check, took another 30' at baggage claim to get my back in PDX. I was how would you say sure she was profiling me and making an example of me as first on zone2. I challenged her and she was very how should I say firm.. I was also insistent, but in the end decide arguing with a gate agent on a power trip was a losing strategy.

As I was an early boarder I saw many a larger roller come on board often by a passenger with a backpack and another personal item. I was not happy to be singled out. Several people told me, it was of little consolation, that they are tight on this at SFO recently and agreed that I was unfairly singled out.

I know next time, I'll just happily abide the check it in request, and demand the attendant check every other questionable back. I don't mind following the rules, but at least make EVERYONE follow-it, don't single a person out, don't single me out United!

United clearly has a systematic problem with that at the moment.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Enforce their own rules. period. then police it onboard so that any bag that does not fit in wheels in/out is removed, people will soon adapt. Won't happen in my lifetime though.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Lani1
Had this happen to me a few times, just agree with agent and they will ask you to take down ramp after placing luggage tag, remove tag and take on plane after you walk past them
Thanks, for the suggestions, that came to my mind as I sat there and watched the other zones board up bringing their larger rollers, bags etc. etc. As I stewed it did dawn on me that little loop hole in the system. Must have been the fact the PVG flight was a 12:05 am flight and I had been up way too long and the mind was getting dull

The final straw that really that after everyone boarded there was still overhead space.. Ah.. not really a big deal, got home as did my luggage, but now those little things, fairness and stupidity of employees really torque us who spend way to much time on airplanes and for the most part it seems the carrier employees simply don't care.

Let's see of Oscar gets the culture changed, why do I hold little hope given the union structure of both the pilots and attendants

Also agree with prior poster, nothing like getting your luggage taken out to make people really smart too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.