Wiki Posts
Search

HKG ok for a quick run on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
HKG ok for a quick run on UA?

I have some PP to burn and see a good fare.... any issue with 24 hours in HK? Embassy site says use caution but I am thinking thats just hype. New nonstop out of LAX has lots of PN.

thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Any specific issues you're concerned about? I don't have any personally.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Im not a nervous traveler... but I happened to stumble upon this statement from the state department:

Exercise increased caution when traveling to the Hong Kong SAR due to the arbitrary enforcement of local laws.

Trust me, Ive spent my time in less than optimal places around the world and have been to HK many times and have never worried in the past.

If the consensus is that its good to go on FT, then I'm in
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
As a tourist, you'll be fine and won't notice any difference from previous visits. Just don't stand in the middle of Nathan road and call for independence for Hong Kong
ual744777sta and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wilp888
...Just don't stand in the middle of Nathan road and call for independence for Hong Kong
Or anywhere, really.
ual744777sta and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Don't call for secession, don't break into the legislature, don't start a fire in the middle of the street, and you'll be fine!
Boraxo and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Yeah, the only thing I’d add is that you should stay longer than 24 hours!
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:01 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I'd go. Although I would stand out in HK as a foreigner believe I think would make the application of laws less arbitrary in my case.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

thanks all. booked and upgraded. 26 hours in HK. Goal is to see how many meals I can fit in during that period!
drewguy, SPN Lifer, st530 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avi8tir
thanks all. booked and upgraded. 26 hours in HK. Goal is to see how many meals I can fit in during that period!
I think your (stomach) space will run out before your time. Cheers, enjoy.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
I think your (stomach) space will run out before your time. Cheers, enjoy.
It depends upon OP’s age. If OP is young, the stomach space is always flexible. 🤪
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by wilp888
As a tourist, you'll be fine and won't notice any difference from previous visits. Just don't stand in the middle of Nathan road and call for independence for Hong Kong
Or talk about the CCP.
SPN Lifer and jsloan like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I have some PP to burn and see a good fare.... any issue with 24 hours in HK? Embassy site says use caution but I am thinking thats just hype. New nonstop out of LAX has lots of PN.

thanks!
Been to Hong Kong twice in the last few months with another trip planned soon. Nothing to be concerned about. Life is back to normal. As of this writing, this is one of the easiest upgrades on UA. Polaris on such a long flight makes a huge difference. My most recent experience has been thoroughly enjoyable. You can find my review below.

DISCLAIMER: LINKS TO MY BLOG

https://gourmetflyer.com/united-pola...87-900-review/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I was just there. Nothing to worry about.

yes, it is so easy to upgrade on HK flights now and just think about they will double the LAX-HKG frequency later this year and it will even more appealing to visit.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The warnings are valid - and go beyond just not standing in the middle of the road and proclaiming independence, but keep in mind the CCP scrapes social posts and content with profile photos (FB, etc) and can use facial recognition to detect if a person with a history of anti-government activities presents themselves for admission to the country - I'm not sure if HK immigration is equipped now with the same data, just something to be aware of, and the reason I cannot return China or risk a trip to HK.

However if you go, make time for Mak's Noodles for some of the best wonton noodle soup on the planet - it's taken me significant effort to try and reproduce their soup broth using my own dried and ground fish powder, along with lots of shrimp heads.

And don't respond or acknowledge the watch or suit sellers on Nathan Rd.

I am curious about the statement above claiming HK is UA's easy international upgrade - in my own experience, it's one of the hardest.
WheelsUpGal and Boraxo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.