Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-YIP?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
ORD-YIP?

I was just at ORD and went by the gate for an ORD-YIP flight. I didn’t think Willow Run (Ypsilanti, MI) had commercial flights.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-tracker/UA/2624
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Empty seat map, 26xx flight number ---> ferry flight, perhaps for maintenance or for positioning

Less probable is sports charter, those are usually UA25xx but could be positioning for one
SteveHK likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2020 at 5:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Plat
@mlbcard. I have to ask, what does your username mean? There were some famous MLB cards issued by BoA but that was a relatively recently. MLB airport?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suspect it's a sports charter for IU basketball team which is playing at Umich today. Flight AS2621 flew BMG-YIP yesterday and returned to ORD as AS2624 last night. So this aircraft will likely fly them back to BMG after game. YIP is closer to Ann Arbor than DTW (and ARB runway is too short for anything larger than a small business jet).
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
@mlbcard. I have to ask, what does your username mean? There were some famous MLB cards issued by BoA but that was a relatively recently. MLB airport?
I used to live in St Louis - Cardinals fan.

Originally Posted by xliioper
Suspect it's a sports charter for IU basketball team which is playing at Umich today. Flight AS2621 flew BMG-YIP yesterday and returned to ORD as AS2624 last night. So this aircraft will likely fly them back to BMG after game. YIP is closer to Ann Arbor than DTW (and ARB runway is too short for anything larger than a small business jet).
Interesting - hadn’t seen that before.
sexykitten7 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Return flight is now in the air -- https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...100Z/KYIP/KBMG

YIP made the headlines a few years ago when a charter flight for Umich basketball team aborted takeoff and ran off the runway -- https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...rash/98914844/

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 16, 2020 at 3:26 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Were you at my gate?

I flew ORD-ICT today out of F15 and noticed that YIP was listed on the gate display as either the next flight or the next-next flight... Didn't connect that YIP doesn't have regular service, just the airport code made me chuckle (along with LIT -- where my aircraft came from, FAT, etc.)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Were you at my gate?

I flew ORD-ICT today out of F15 and noticed that YIP was listed on the gate display as either the next flight or the next-next flight... Didn't connect that YIP doesn't have regular service, just the airport code made me chuckle (along with LIT -- where my aircraft came from, FAT, etc.)
No, just walking by the F gates and saw it. It didn't even say "Detroit" or "Ypsilanti," just said "YIP".
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
UA would never use the AS code.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtrav
UA would never use the AS code.
Oops, messed up the flight numbers from Flightaware. Should be ASQ, not AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.