FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Lounges at IAH (options other than UCs) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1807177-lounges-iah-options-other-than-ucs.html)

pjt49 Feb 29, 2016 11:28 am

Lounges at IAH (options other than UCs)

I have a few hours to kill at IAH and I have access to the KLM Lounge or any of the United Lounges. I've read the comparisons on here between the United Lounges (it seems the consensus is that the E Terminal has the best one). My question is this: Should I go to the KLM Lounge or the United Club in Terminal E? I'm mainly interested in food and booze selection, and would prefer a less crowded lounge as well if the food and booze are equal.

Thanks.

joseeantonior Feb 29, 2016 11:36 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, pjt49!

I haven't been to the United Club on IAH, but I've been to the crown lounge (*S vs. Priority Pass). What I can tell you about the Crown Lounge:

* it has an open bar, you can serve yourself as much alcohol as you want (within reasonable lines, of course)
* has a soup of the day. Usually asian specialities.
* It is very quiet. People are very respectful and there's not a lot of noise. However, it may get crowded sometimes, when there's a lot of flights
* The only food you can get are snacks and pastries. It makes it perfect as a breakfast lounge, but later in the day when you want to have real food it doesn't help much.

I hope these are useful and that someone can compare to the United Club. G'luck!

rob_flies_ua Feb 29, 2016 11:46 am

Originally Posted by pjt49 (Post 26261727)
I have a few hours to kill at IAH and I have access to the KLM Lounge or any of the United Lounges. I've read the comparisons on here between the United Lounges (it seems the consensus is that the E Terminal has the best one). My question is this: Should I go to the KLM Lounge or the United Club in Terminal E? I'm mainly interested in food and booze selection, and would prefer a less crowded lounge as well if the food and booze are equal.

Thanks.

I tend to grab a shower at the UC in E and then migrate to the KLM lounge (or now the AF lounge) for food and drink. The views are better at the UC though.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 29, 2016 11:59 am

KLM lounge 6am-6pm

JoesRevenge Feb 29, 2016 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 26261920)
KLM lounge 6am-6pm

Priority pass says 6am-10pm. Is that not the case?

SAT Lawyer Feb 29, 2016 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by JoesRevenge (Post 26261937)
Priority pass says 6am-10pm. Is that not the case?

The KLM lounge closes at 10 p.m., but I've noticed that they put away the better liquor after the AF and KL flights depart. The Baileys, in particular, gets taken away.

pjt49 Feb 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer (Post 26261977)
The KLM lounge closes at 10 p.m., but I've noticed that they put away the better liquor after the AF and KL flights depart. The Baileys, in particular, gets taken away.

The KLM website states that it closes at 6pm.

Is the food at any of the IAH United Clubs any good? I've been to some where there was only snack mix, fruit, etc. However, I recall one at SFO where there was soup, sandwiches, salad, etc.

SAT Lawyer Feb 29, 2016 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by pjt49 (Post 26261990)
The KLM website states that it closes at 6pm.

The website is incorrect. It closes at 10 p.m. I was there in the evening just last week. You can call the lounge at (281) 233-3350, and they'll tell you the same thing.

kirkwoodj Feb 29, 2016 3:05 pm

I used to regularly use the KLM lounge, but it seems to be getting worse since new mgmt company took over, namely regarding food & bev. Too bad. Hopefully UCs are on the way back up, and of course we are eagerly awaiting the Amex Centurion lounge coming soon!

thejaredhuang Feb 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Is the food at any of the IAH United Clubs any good? I've been to some where there was only snack mix, fruit, etc. However, I recall one at SFO where there was soup, sandwiches, salad, etc.

No domestic UC has any real food. I've never been to the GFL in SFO but it sounds like you're talking about that.

Go to KLM, there's really no discussion needed.

EmailKid Feb 29, 2016 3:27 pm

UC started to have soup and salad, sometimes bread and salami. This is quite recent.

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 26262976)
No domestic UC has any real food. I've never been to the GFL in SFO but it sounds like you're talking about that.

The best UC is indeed in E, but it can get crowded though usually not too noise.

But from this thread alone I'd take thejaredhuang advice :)

haddon90 Feb 29, 2016 3:59 pm

come may/june the centurion lounge should be open. i've never been to the KLM lounge, but the E terminal UA club is nice. but it does get pretty crowded.

TomMM Feb 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Try both and report back with your experience!

MatthewLAX Feb 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 26262976)

UA clubs now have better food than KLM lounge.

I still like the KL lounge because it is quiet and I like the Miss Vickie's chips.

Cappuccino machines really blows, though.

cfischer Feb 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 26263531)
UA clubs now have better food than KLM lounge.

WT? No way. KL lounge in IAH all the way (until Amex opens ;) ). Food is better, drinks are better, not super crowded during off hours.