Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and we’re sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
Looks like it's up now, at the bottom of:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/Subscription/Home

(tried linking directly to the wifi page but copying and pasting the URL results in a redirect to the UA home page)

North America and Central America monthly $49/7550 miles, annual $539/83,010 miles
Global monthly $69/10,630 miles, annual $689/106,110 miles
Gotta love these mileageplus valuations.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I wondered why they were sorta random amounts but they updated them overnight to be more rounded numbers. You just beat my edit though

But yeah I've noticed UA seems to price things well below 1cpm in miles.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
United Wi-Fi Subscription Live

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Some tidbits:

Looks like it starts at $49 or 7,500 miles, or $69/10.5k miles for "global"

Regions are NA/CA or Global.

Subscriptions may only be used by the subscriber on a flight and on one device at a time. Your subscription is non-transferable and it is against our policy for your subscription to be used on a flight that you are not on. (Hopefully this means I can switch devices, I like to bounce between my phone and laptop).

Can be gifted

Last edited by BThumme; Feb 2, 2018 at 7:11 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS
Link doesn't work for me, just redirects to the home page.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
It's also redirecting me if I click the direct link, but, go to this link and you can still get there (for now).

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/home

At the bottom is the buy now and "learn more" where I got the information from.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like there’s a discount for an annual purchase

Also you can use TravelBank cash
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA GS
It's a bit crazy to me that an annual wi-fi subscription costs more than a United Club membership.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think they’re targeted at people who earn way more miles than they can spend using OPM, but are very frugal with their own cash.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by getagb

I think they’re targeted at people who earn way more miles than they can spend using OPM, but are very frugal with their own cash.
Can you explain OPM? Is that the government agency? or anyone who flies on behalf of the government? So YCA fares? But I thought these were contracted fares that were negotiated at a yearly basis, so wouldn't like T-2 weeks prior to departure be more expensive than OPM fares? Sorry for the random long list of questions
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This line doesn't seem to be very..comforting: "We do not guarantee availability of Wi-Fi service onboard aircraft; therefore, cash refunds will not be provided for intermittent or non-functioning connections". But then it's followed by the other line stating "Inflight Service app with customer resolution functionality....to offer in the moment compensation.."
So are they just not offering monetary compensation anymore and just 'miles'? Is that what those two lines mean? #TranslateForMe
"United won't give you your money back just because your WiFi didn't work; however, that doesn't mean we won't give you ETCs."

Can you explain OPM? Is that the government agency? or anyone who flies on behalf of the government? So YCA fares? But I thought these were contracted fares that were negotiated at a yearly basis, so wouldn't like T-2 weeks prior to departure be more expensive than OPM fares? Sorry for the random long list of questions
"Other People's Money"
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
"United won't give you your money back just because your WiFi didn't work; however, that doesn't mean we won't give you ETCs."

"Other People's Money"
LOL. Thanks for those clarifications. Omg. I was way off.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by villox
It's a bit crazy to me that an annual wi-fi subscription costs more than a United Club membership.
Value based pricing.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
A certain AMEX product (Hilton Ascend IIRC) provides rebates on airline ancillary purchases

would something like this qualify? May make the math more palatable
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by villox
Lol, good point.
The $69 monthly rate for global is too high. And I'm not going to give United $689 for a 1 year sub.
How about some discounts for your premiers United?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:05 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I purchased a Global monthly subscription today, since February travel will be a mix of both domestic and international. I did note in the T&Cs that you must cancel 10 days in advance of the renewal date to avoid a charge against the original form of payment.
  • Monthly subscribers will be charged for renewal 10 days prior to the subscription’s expiration to the form of payment on file at the price effective on that day.
  • Subscribers who do not want to renew their monthly or annual subscriptions should cancel auto-renewal more than 10 or 30 days, respectively, prior to the subscription’s expiration date in the My Account page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.