Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Deal to keep EWR-BFS collapsed -- ruled illegal, service to stop 9 Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deal to keep EWR-BFS collapsed -- ruled illegal, service to stop 9 Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by goodeats21
If I am reading this correctly, that is $11.6 million USD over the course of 3 years.

That is one heck of subsidy for a single daily flight.
That's peanuts compared to the EAS subsidies in the US. Boutique Air gets almost $3M per year to operate Merced, CA<->LAX/OAK, which comes to around $114 per seat on each flight ... and most of the seats go out empty.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Talking

Someone started a thread in the EK forum wondering if UA will now stop complaining about subsidies to the ME airlines.

Link: No more complaints from United about government subsidies to Emirates?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:37 am

If they hadn't kept this flight running what would they have done with existing bookings - transferred to DUB or routed out of BHD via LHR?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mjg59
One other issue is the convenience of BFS against BHD. BA definitely benefit from BHD being so convenient for the city centre, but there's no way you could get a fully fueled 757 off that runway (I've been on a winter BFS-EWR that took 8 hours!) so it's not an option for UA. On the other hand, BFS isn't far off the M1 so it's more convenient for basically anybody west of Belfast. It's still struck me as more of a vanity thing than anything else - I'm sure I remember seeing 747s at BFS in the 90s, and I think Stormont views having direct flights to the US as an important part of identifying Northern Ireland as having independence from London.

(It's also a really easy upgrade)
The NI government, through arms like Invest Northern Ireland, are very active soliciting foreign (and especially US) investment, handing out millions in grants for job creation, research, and facilities investment for foreign companies. As an economically depressed region with a tough history, NI really needs good investment projects and offers skilled labor force and lower cost relative to rest of Europe.

With Brexit causing some consternation as to whether NI will be able to offer foreign companies a foothold in the EU, and consternation about whether the post Good Friday accord measures (like open borders between NI and the Republic of Ireland) and their stabilizing features can be maintained, this is one cheap way for the NI government to ensure the flow of business continues.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung
2. BFS-EWR has the APD.
Nope...just the $20.80 PFC. BFS managed to negotiate an exemption from the APD to help keep United there. Turns out it wasn't enough, but there is no APD on that route.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nope...just the $20.80 PFC. BFS managed to negotiate an exemption from the APD to help keep United there. Turns out it wasn't enough, but there is no APD on that route.
Thanks for the correction.

I further research on this topic. Turns out that APD is FULLY in effect in NI.

The issue is the APD for direct long-haul flights is set to nil by the NI Assembly. All other flights are subject to APD.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

United Discontinuing BFS (Belfast) January 9 2017

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37834823

Last flight is on 9 January westbound.

Apparently the EU commission ruled that the GBP 9mm route performance guarantee agreed to in August was illegal.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37834823

Last flight is on 9 January westbound.

Apparently the EU commission ruled that the GBP 9mm route performance guarantee agreed to in August was illegal.
Will this subsidized route return after Brexit?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Will United take down all the retro-looking "Visit Northern Ireland" posters in the EWR Terminal C United Club copy machine area?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Ha, I saw the same poster this morning at IAH Terminal B United Club.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Will this subsidized route return after Brexit?
Who knows? But after the UK leaves the EU, it will be free to subsidise routes as it wishes. Incidentally, FR benefits from many subsidised routes but other countries seem to be able to play the game better than the UK.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Who knows? But after the UK leaves the EU, it will be free to subsidise routes as it wishes. Incidentally, FR benefits from many subsidised routes but other countries seem to be able to play the game better than the UK.
Whether it's a cause, or an effect, of Brexit, I'm sure that there is a relationship between the EU decision on the BFS subsidy and the UK's tenuous place in Europe.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
That might be an 'if' rather than 'when' at this point...

It's been a few years since I've been to BFS, but I do remember the billboards near the airport: 'Why fly east to fly west? Nonstop service to New York City / Newark'. I guess UA made the 757 work, but I'm surprised the route stuck it out for as long as it did.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:21 pm

I'm booked to fly on this service after it is discontinued.

I've just chatted to United Reservations who told me that according to their system the service is running normally and any changes to the reservation will incur change/fare difference fees.

Does anyone have any insight into when United will be a position to rebook passengers? I've got an award ticket and am keen to deal with this ASAP as other options are currently available (using my United miles). Many thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by GLAinYYZ

Does anyone have any insight into when United will be a position to rebook passengers? I've got an award ticket and am keen to deal with this ASAP as other options are currently available (using my United miles). Many thanks!
Flights have not been taken out of system yet. When that happens I'm fairly confident you will get free change to other flights in UA's system (LHR-EWR). UA will probably pay for EI from BHD-LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.