FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1771834-routing-advice-bkk-southeast-asia-usa-ua-flyers.html)

Kacee Jan 5, 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 30613143)
for some other places in Asia they allow HKG connections with all sorts of off-Alliance carriers.

For a while they were selling HX and CX connections via HKG in W combined with a discount fare on HX/CX. They still sell the connection, but the fares are no longer favorable . . . you wind up with a B on HX/CX, and a total fare over $3500 (same as if you try to route via SIN). They really want you to route via TYO on NH.

Kmxu Jan 5, 2019 1:26 pm

W fare to HKG and separate ticket to BKK

The W fare on UA from my local airport is typically about $1200. If you do not mind having stopover at Hong Kong both ways (>24 h), two separate tickets may be a cheaper solution than a single ticket. Also, PZ spaces can be found on HKG flights, compared to SIN flights. Good luck.

Kacee Jan 5, 2019 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 30614569)
The W fare on UA from my local airport is typically about $1200. If you do not mind having stopover at Hong Kong both ways (>24 h), two separate tickets may be a cheaper solution than a single ticket.

Not necessary IMO. I've done a 2-3 hour connection on separate tix at HKG many times.

Lintrix Jan 5, 2019 8:06 pm

I know this doesn't help you with GPU to BKK but sometimes you can find some great Saver Awards from places like PVG->BKK on Thai Airways. They offer an exceptional business class. Seeing as how GPUing to BKK isn't necessarily the best/easiest, you may be better off finding a saver award for that final leg.

FlytheTail Jan 5, 2019 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30614032)
For a while they were selling HX and CX connections via HKG in W combined with a discount fare on HX/CX. They still sell the connection, but the fares are no longer favorable . . .

The fares are still there, especially with HX connections. Ones with the CX connections are more elusive to find, and there appear to be married segment issues with the CX flights. With one origin city, you can book an S class on CX but for another origin city, the same flight/date will only display a B class option.

Kacee Jan 6, 2019 1:06 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 30616194)
The fares are still there, especially with HX connections. Ones with the CX connections are more elusive to find, and there appear to be married segment issues with the CX flights. With one origin city, you can book an S class on CX but for another origin city, the same flight/date will only display a B class option.

Yes you can get the S, but if I you specify W or higher, the ticket books into Y or B and costs minimum $3.5k. The applicable W fare SFO-HKG (WKM08F1W/NONR) does not permit end-on-end construction. I'm assuming the same is true for every UA fare in between the W and the B, otherwise .com would return that combination.

Bottom line, UA does not want you using a GPU on a ticket that includes CX or HX segments. They really want you to route via TYO on NH.

FlytheTail Jan 6, 2019 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30616493)
Yes you can get the S, but if I you specify W or higher, the ticket books into Y or B and costs minimum $3.5k. The applicable W fare SFO-HKG (WKM08F1W/NONR) does not permit end-on-end construction. I'm assuming the same is true for every UA fare in between the W and the B, otherwise .com would return that combination.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Here's an example for dates and routings I'm planning. In this case, I requested fare classes of S, W, V, and Q. S and V seem to be the lower CX booking classes made available to UA, and all but S classes are GPUable. When UA returns a fare class of S for UA and CX flights, then there's a problem.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c72bbc66c7.jpg

goodeats21 Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Great info. Just found (and booked) an itinerary with EWR->HKG on UA in a W fare, connecting to HKG->BKK on CX in an S fare. Very reasonable overall fare, and PZ space on the United flight....

Quick question: Any way to select an economy seat assignment on the CX leg? A quick check on CX website and I couldn't find a way...

Thanks.

transpac Feb 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Any current advice for getting an exit row seat from NH for NRT-BKK-NRT as part of a UA ticket with NH flight numbers: 8xx?

Previously one could choose the exit row on the NH website using the NH PNR if NH flight numbers, or if UA codeshare flight numbers, the NH/USA call center would grudgingly (Supervisor) give you the seat.

None of these workarounds appear to work now, seats are blocked (show as available for a higher class economy phantom booking).

goodeats21 Feb 15, 2019 8:54 am

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 30780134)
Any current advice for getting an exit row seat from NH for NRT-BKK-NRT as part of a UA ticket with NH flight numbers: 8xx?

Previously one could choose the exit row on the NH website using the NH PNR if NH flight numbers, or if UA codeshare flight numbers, the NH/USA call center would grudgingly (Supervisor) give you the seat.

None of these workarounds appear to work now, seats are blocked (show as available for a higher class economy phantom booking).

Will probably need to wait until you are at the airport and ask a Gate Agent for the exit row, assuming still available? Do you have *A status? That has typically been helpful with ANA gate agents...

Kacee Feb 15, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 30780134)
Any current advice for getting an exit row seat from NH for NRT-BKK-NRT as part of a UA ticket with NH flight numbers: 8xx?.

Interestingly, I just booked award tix on NH BKK-NRT for no status friend using UA miles, and the NH website allowed selection of exit rows. I wonder if they treat X as full fare ticket?

FlytheTail Feb 15, 2019 10:13 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 30765682)
Quick question: Any way to select an economy seat assignment on the CX leg? A quick check on CX website and I couldn't find a way...

Thanks.

If you have any kind of OneWorld elite status, you can. Otherwise, I think you have to wait until check-in.

transpac Feb 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 30782212)
Will probably need to wait until you are at the airport and ask a Gate Agent for the exit row, assuming still available? Do you have *A status? That has typically been helpful with ANA gate agents...

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30782243)
Interestingly, I just booked award tix on NH BKK-NRT for no status friend using UA miles, and the NH website allowed selection of exit rows. I wonder if they treat X as full fare ticket?

Oddly yesterday, there was an equipment change from 789 to 788, I received an email from NH. Logged in (ANA website) and was able to select exit row. Not sure what to make of this.

I'm *G. For BKK-NRT an agent might be helpful. For NRT-BKK, less so given I'm flying EWR-NRT-BKK with the first segment on UA.

Fare bucket for BKK-NRT is "S", for NRT-BKK it is "L".

Kacee Feb 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 30783972)
Oddly yesterday, there was an equipment change from 789 to 788, I received an email from NH. Logged in (ANA website) and was able to select exit row. Not sure what to make of this.

I just watched this happen yesterday for NRT-BKK on April 1. The 6:25 pm flight changed to a 788. The 5 pm is a 789.

flyme2 Feb 16, 2019 2:03 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 30616194)

Other strategies for avoiding the 6 hour TYO-BKK flight in coach include paying for an upgradeable return fare to HKG on UA, at a price less than that to BKK, and then purchasing a separate C class ticket on either HK or the 5th freedom EK HKG-BKK flight. The cost for either is ~$500 USD, subsidized, in part, by the lower USA-HKG fare. Of course this can also be done in coach at roughly half the cost. Both airlines use widebody aircraft with angled or lie flat seating. The EK flight HKG-BKK dovetails nicely with the non-stop EWR-HKG flight.