FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1771292-ua-economy-plus-e-questions-worth-experiences-consolidated.html)

RNE Sep 27, 2022 10:11 am

I have a non-elite (no status on any airline) friend who swears that her paying a fee for an E+ seat means UA is less likely to move her to E- during IRROPS. Instead, she says, UA would sooner move a Silver* who paid nothing for his E+ seat.

*She's not sure she'd beat out a Gold or higher.

RNE, wondering if there's any truth to this.

jsloan Sep 27, 2022 10:57 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 34635057)
I have a non-elite (no status on any airline) friend who swears that her paying a fee for an E+ seat means UA is less likely to move her to E- during IRROPS. Instead, she says, UA would sooner move a Silver* who paid nothing for his E+ seat.

*She's not sure she'd beat out a Gold or higher.

RNE, wondering if there's any truth to this.

She's giving UA way too much credit.

Say Vandelay Sep 27, 2022 11:19 am

Originally Posted by CApreppie (Post 34260642)
if the companion is not on the same reservation, you will need to call and ask an agent to move the person on different reservation(s). I usually ask if the agent can do it as a courtesy. If they hesitate, then just find an excuse to hang up and call back and get another agent to do it.

I've never had an issue with an agent sitting a companion next to me from a separate PNR. I did this a few weeks ago and today went to move our seats for an upcoming flight. My companion was able to change her seat to a different E+ seat online from the one the agent put her in with no issue. I don't remember this working in the past.

RNE Sep 27, 2022 1:45 pm

I have a non-elite (no status on any airline) friend who swears that her paying a fee for an E+ seat means UA is less likely to move her to E- during IRROPS. Instead, she says, UA would sooner move a Silver* who paid nothing for his E+ seat. *She's not sure she'd beat out a Gold or higher.RNE, wondering if there's any truth to this.

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34635169)
She's giving UA way too much credit.

But it's a matter of money, not "credit." ;) UA would have to refund money to her, not to him.

jsloan Sep 27, 2022 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 34635649)
But it's a matter of money, not "credit." ;) UA would have to refund money to her, not to him.

And I'm telling you, UA's systems aren't that creative. They'll kick anybody out of E+ without regard to how you got into it. It's an equal-opportunity disrupter. :)

WineCountryUA Sep 28, 2022 9:37 am

*She's not sure she'd beat out a Gold or higher......

Is this pure speculation or do they claim to have direct evidence? My cousin's best friend's aunt evidence?

RNE Sep 28, 2022 10:21 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34635659)
And I'm telling you, UA's systems aren't that creative. They'll kick anybody out of E+ without regard to how you got into it. It's an equal-opportunity disrupter. :)

Systems? Gate agents aren't systems; they're people... people with decision-making authority... at least according to Travel + Leisure, "The gate agent has supreme power of seating assignments for every flight and dictates who sits where." Thus, a gate agent faced with a last-minute booking by an (irate) 1K may move someone out of E+. A lowly Silver may get the boot before a non-elite who paid for their seat. Now, even if my friend is correct, does this mean it's smart for a Silver to buy a seat they wouldn't have to? Of course not! However, it may be some solace to the non-elite seat-purchaser. Speculation? Sure. So what? FlyerTalk is rife with speculation.

jsloan Sep 28, 2022 10:31 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 34638107)
Systems? Gate agents aren't systems; they're people... people with decision-making authority... at least according to Travel + Leisure, "The gate agent has supreme power of seating assignments for every flight and dictates who sits where." Thus, a gate agent faced with a last-minute booking by an (irate) 1K may move someone out of E+. A lowly Silver may get the boot before a non-elite who paid for their seat. Now, even if my friend is correct, does this mean it's smart for a Silver to buy a seat they wouldn't have to? Of course not! However, it may be some solace to the non-elite seat-purchaser. Speculation? Sure. So what? FlyerTalk is rife with speculation.

99.9999% of all E+ removals are due to automated systems reassigning seats (poorly) during aircraft swaps.

The thing you're suggesting -- an irate 1K (really, GS) demanding an E+ seat and getting it -- is almost entirely FlyerTalk fantasy. I'm not saying it never happens. I am saying that your friend's conspiracy theory is, well, just that. The sort of agent who would break the rules for this imaginary irate 1K/GS isn't then going to say "oh, let me make sure that I don't cost the company money, but also that I don't mess things up for too high a Premier."

Let me put it to you this way: AFAIK, the screen where this rogue agent would have to do this nefarious deed doesn't show the reason that somebody's eligible for E+ in the first place. Unless they wanted to assume that all non-premier members in E+ had paid (certainly not true), they'd have to go into somebody's record

Like most conspiracy theories, this Is worse than impossible -- it's highly, highly improbable.

Say Vandelay Sep 28, 2022 12:41 pm

For the case I mentioned where I called to get my Silver Spouse next to me in E+ in advance, her reservation currently says "Your PremierŪ Silver status entitles you to preferred seating for you and 8 companions. During check-in, you may select complimentary Economy PlusŪ seating for you and 1 companion." and this is outside of 24h. There is obviously something in there now attached to her PNR that allowed me to move her seat online and makes this notation, so hopefully companions on separate PNRs are in better shape now with aircraft swaps etc.

CApreppie Sep 30, 2022 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay (Post 34635235)
I've never had an issue with an agent sitting a companion next to me from a separate PNR. I did this a few weeks ago and today went to move our seats for an upcoming flight. My companion was able to change her seat to a different E+ seat online from the one the agent put her in with no issue. I don't remember this working in the past.

I've tried to move people that I put in E+ and the system always want to charge them for moving them online or via app.

WineCountryUA Sep 30, 2022 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie (Post 34643506)
I've tried to move people that I put in E+ and the system always want to charge them for moving them online or via app.

If not on your PNR,
Can not do online, must call

canadiancow Jan 6, 2023 1:20 pm

I was looking at a paid F SFO-SAF round-trip yesterday. DEN-SAF (and SAF-DEN) were operated by aircraft with only a Y cabin. I was, once again, quite perturbed that a paid F fare doesn't include E+ on these segments.

However, the payment failed, and I aborted booking.

Today, I'm Gold, so it's irrelevant. But it still seems odd that if it were a two cabin aircraft, I would be in F and the (Y-paying) Golds and up would be in E+, but on a one cabin aircraft, the F-paying pax would be at the very back of the plane while the Golds and up would still be in E+.

DELee Jan 6, 2023 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 34899558)
I was looking at a paid F SFO-SAF round-trip yesterday. DEN-SAF (and SAF-DEN) were operated by aircraft with only a Y cabin. I was, once again, quite perturbed that a paid F fare doesn't include E+ on these segments.

However, the payment failed, and I aborted booking.

Today, I'm Gold, so it's irrelevant. But it still seems odd that if it were a two cabin aircraft, I would be in F and the (Y-paying) Golds and up would be in E+, but on a one cabin aircraft, the F-paying pax would be at the very back of the plane while the Golds and up would still be in E+.

Awesome, isn't it. But that's UA's programming into selling tickets. Only after you've purchased and mayhap status would you then switch seats. Or, if you have no status, no E+.

David

milemonkey Jan 27, 2023 9:48 am

Can I Upgrade to E+ Using Miles?

Is it possible to upgrade to Economy Plus using miles? If so, can someone explain how to do it?

Also, I know MP Gold get complimentary upgrades to E+ upon booking for yourself and one companion. Does this occur when you choose your seat? In other words, do I just choose a regular Economy fare and the choose the E+ seat?

Thanks

jsloan Jan 27, 2023 9:53 am

Originally Posted by milemonkey (Post 34962384)
Is it possible to upgrade to Economy Plus using miles? If so, can someone explain how to do it?

It's not an upgrade -- using that word will just confuse people. It's a seat assignment. I know that UA was working on allowing people to use mileage for E+ but I don't know if they ever got around to it. The number of miles would likely make it a fairly bad deal, though.

Originally Posted by milemonkey (Post 34962384)
Also, I know MP Gold get complimentary upgrades to E+ upon booking for yourself and one companion. Does this occur when you choose your seat? In other words, do I just choose a regular Economy fare and the choose the E+ seat?

Yes, precisely that. (Note that there are occasional reports that UA somehow 'forgets' this during booking; if you're eligible, but it's trying to charge you, skip seat selection until booking is complete, and then go back into your reservation. You'll be able to select E+ for free at that point).