FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1771292-ua-economy-plus-e-questions-worth-experiences-consolidated.html)

findark Nov 13, 2019 11:05 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31732947)
The reservation is for 3 passengers and I'm travelling on the itinerary as a UA Gold member. Does the fact that it's an award ticket mean I can select E+ seating for all travellers (I'm aware as a UA Gold I can only select an E+ seat for myself and another pax)?

No. Can you?

WineCountryUA Nov 13, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31732947)
Quick question: I booked an award ticket from YYZ > LHR with Aeroplan with all segments operated by UA. The reservation is for 3 passengers and I'm travelling on the itinerary as a UA Gold member. Does the fact that it's an award ticket mean I can select E+ seating for all travellers (I'm aware as a UA Gold I can only select an E+ seat for myself and another pax)?...

Should not be able and would be relatively easy to test if you UA MP account is in the PNR. In general with 2 non-elites on the PNR, a UA Gold will have to call to get E+. Cannot be done online.

Hawkeyefan Jan 1, 2020 9:42 pm

MSP to SFO E+ buy up

E175.....$55. Worth it?

kevflyer Jan 1, 2020 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan (Post 31898484)
E175.....$55. Worth it?

I'd say no. E175 E- is already spacious enough

WineCountryUA Jan 1, 2020 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan (Post 31898484)
E175.....$55. Worth it?

Depends on your hieight / leg length
E- is about 31" pitch and E+ is 34". If you find 31" overly tight then yes. ALso matters if you plan to you a laptop. Essentially no go in E- if the person in front of you reclines. 7B is real good for legspace but cart traffic can be an issue due to the aisle jog. No exit row.

CMK10 Jan 4, 2020 11:15 am

I'd say yes, especially if you can get a seat in row 7. That's a long flight and I think you'll really appreciate the legroom.

Hawkeyefan Jan 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Question immediately post purchase (on an award booking), I bought E+ for my family of 4 on an EMB175 IAH - MSP. Assigned the seats at that time. Since then, half of Row 7 has opened up and I want to switch to those seats for two of us, for the extra legroom. The price on those seats now is slightly less than what I paid at purchase a few weeks ago. Yet when I try to reassign seats, I get taken to the purchase summary screen and asked to pay the new price for the two seats?? It was my understanding that if the current price is less than what you originally paid for E+, then you can just switch seats?? What gives?

WineCountryUA Jan 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan (Post 31937917)
Question immediately post purchase (on an award booking), I bought E+ for my family of 4 on an EMB175 IAH - MSP. Assigned the seats at that time. Since then, half of Row 7 has opened up and I want to switch to those seats for two of us, for the extra legroom. The price on those seats now is slightly less than what I paid at purchase a few weeks ago. Yet when I try to reassign seats, I get taken to the purchase summary screen and asked to pay the new price for the two seats?? It was my understanding that if the current price is less than what you originally paid for E+, then you can just switch seats?? What gives?

The standard practice, when done online, is to charge for the new seats and refund the original seat access fee post-flight.
On the phone the agents "can" handle this taking in account the original fee.

Hawkeyefan Jan 11, 2020 10:04 pm

I know on occasion in the past I was able to swap E+ seats to those at a cheaper price without triggering a charge. Must be a glitchy thing on UA end.

Cledaybuck Jan 29, 2020 12:22 pm

Have UA flights booked for this summer CMH-DEN-JAC/BZN-DEN-CMH for my wife and I. Also have $250 AmEx credit to use. At least $60 will be used for a checked bag, so $190 "free" to use. Trying to figure out my best use to purchase E+. Current pricing and equipment is as follows:
CMH-DEN $66-93 (738)
DEN-JAC $19-29 (A320)
BZN-DEN $62-76 (738)
DEN-CMH $63-89 (738)
I could also buy E+ for $80/pp outbound or $117/pp inbound. (or I can "bundle" with a bag for the low low price of $138/pp outbound/$177/pp inbound, lol).

Any advice would be appreciated. Also wondering about row 7 (bulkhead). Seat map notes no under seat storage for the A320 but says nothing like that for the 738. From what I have seen online, it is the complete opposite.

Kensterfly Jan 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Bulkhead seats on 737s and A319/A320s typically only have a curtain in front of you. Not a bulkhead, at least not one that goes all the way to the floor. . So you can slip carry on bags under the First Class seats in front of you. Nice legroom in those seats, too.

mrmoo Jan 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly (Post 32009009)
Bulkhead seats on 737s and A319/A320s typically only have a curtain in front of you. Not a bulkhead, at least not one that goes all the way to the floor. . So you can slip carry on bags under the First Class seats in front of you. Nice legroom in those seats, too.

Most of the 737s I have found there to be a partial bulkhead. Like a plastic partition that does allow some space for a bag under FC, but not the entire seat's worth. Not that it's OPs bird, but if equipment swap to a 737-900 the 8ABC seats will have a full bulkhead due to the lav.

Cledaybuck Jan 29, 2020 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrmoo (Post 32009539)
Most of the 737s I have found there to be a partial bulkhead. Like a plastic partition that does allow some space for a bag under FC, but not the entire seat's worth. Not that it's OPs bird, but if equipment swap to a 737-900 the 8ABC seats will have a full bulkhead due to the lav.

The pictures I saw had the bulkhead stop about 5ish inches above the floor. Enough to get you feet under, but it didn’t look like a backpack would fit under.

mrmoo Jan 30, 2020 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 32009712)
The pictures I saw had the bulkhead stop about 5ish inches above the floor. Enough to get you feet under, but it didn’t look like a backpack would fit under.

5" or so sounds about right. My briefcase will slide under just fine, but anything bulky will not fit.

opus2002 Feb 6, 2020 7:29 pm

Is there a best time to buy E+ seats? I am thinking X number of days before departure. I got a PHL - YYC via DEN flight in July.